Can dogs eat honey? Yes, but only in small amounts. Raw honey is the best for dogs because it’s in its purest form. However, even pasteurized and processed honey is safe for your dog to eat, but it’s just not as nutritious in its raw form.
Do you want to add honey to your dog’s diet? If so, the following information will help give you insight into honey and the best way to serve it to your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Honey?
Benefits of Honey for Dogs
- Boosts energy
- Help reduce symptoms of pollen allergies
- Soothes kennel cough
- Soothes an upset stomach
- It helps heal wounds and scrapes when used topically
Dangers of Honey for Dogs
Honey is safe for most dogs but should only be given to adult dogs, not puppies. Here are a few reasons why honey can be dangerous for dogs:
- Raw honey can contain botulism spores. It’s rare, but it can lead to paralysis if the honey is contaminated.
- Honey is not ideal for dogs with diabetes, compromised immune systems, or obese dogs.
- The high sugar content can lead to obesity.
- Serving too much honey to your dog can cause tooth decay.
What is the right serving size of honey to feed your dog?
Can dogs eat honey? Yes, but they should only eat up to one teaspoonful per day or less. You don’t need to feed your dog honey every day but instead, use it as a special treat by adding it to their food.
DIY Honey Doggie Treats
You can implement honey into your dog’s diet in various ways, but making homemade DIY dog treats is fun and easy. Check out the tasty recipe below that your dog will love!
Banana and Honey Dog Treats
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 2 cups of water
- 2 mashed bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 ½ cups of whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease two large baking sheets lightly.
- Use a large mixing bowl to combine honey, mashed bananas, water, and egg.
- Add the whole-wheat flour and baking powder slowly as you stir the mixture.
- Use an electric handheld mixer on medium speed to combine the ingredients together. It usually takes 1 to 2 minutes to create the dough.
- Knead the dough on a flat surface that is lightly floured for about 5 to 8 minutes. Your goal is to knead it until the stickiness is gone.
- Roll out the dough to ¼ inch thickness.
- Use cookie cutters or cut the dough into small squares that are perfectly bite-size for your dog and place them on the greased baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, turn the oven off, and let the cookies get crispy for about 30 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes, then serve to your dog.
Place leftover treats in a zip lock bag or plastic container and keep them in the refrigerator. Use them as treats, snacks, and a reward for your dog. Raw honey is the best option to feed your dog because it produces various benefits that pasteurized honey doesn’t. However, pasteurized honey is still safe to feed your dog if needed.
Can dogs eat honey? Yes. But if you are concerned about the right amount of honey to feed your dog, discuss it with a veterinarian for further assistance. Start adding honey to your dog’s diet in creative and tasty ways such as the recipe mentioned above!