Can dogs eat falafel? No. While chickpeas are safe for dogs to eat, falafel is not. The reason dogs shouldn’t eat falafel is because of the added herbs and spices such as garlic and onions that are toxic for dogs. So, it’s not necessarily the chickpea part of the falafel that dogs can’t eat. It’s the added ingredients.
Most falafel recipes include onions and garlic, which are both toxic to dogs. Falafel also has a lot of salt that can lead to dehydration and other complications. The fat content is high in falafel because of the frying technique used to cook it. Fat is not healthy for dogs and can lead to high cholesterol and weight gain.
So, can dogs eat falafel? No, but they can enjoy chickpeas!
Can Dogs Eat Falafel?
Benefits of Chickpeas for Dogs
- A good source of protein
- Promotes good digestion
- Lowers the risk of your dog developing intestinal diseases or colon cancer
- Rich with vitamins and minerals to support overall health
- Low in fat
- It helps maintain a healthy weight
Tips for Feeding Your Dog Chickpeas
Can dogs eat falafel? No, but you can give your dog chickpeas in the following ways, or you can create unique ways your specific dog will like to eat this tasty protein snack.
- Cook chickpeas and keep them in a zip lock bag or plastic container with a lid in the refrigerator and use them as a healthy treat for your dog.
- Place cooked chickpeas in a blender or food processor and create a chickpea mash to add to your dog’s wet or dry dog food.
- Toss a few cooked chickpeas into your dog’s dry kibble.
- Use chickpeas as a training tool and reward for your dog.
- Used mashed chickpea with other dog-friendly people food, such as mixing it peanut butter for a protein boost.
Dangers for Feeding Your Dog Chickpeas
In 2018, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) reported that foods such as lentils, chickpeas, peas, tapioca, and white potatoes increase the risk of dogs developing a disease called Dilated Cardiomyopathy.
Due to this information, some pet parents prefer not to feed their dog chickpeas as part of their diet. If you have concerns about giving your dog chickpeas, consult with a veterinarian for further guidance.
Symptoms of Food Allergies in Dogs
Most dogs can eat chickpeas in moderation without having any problems, while others have sensitive digestive systems or food allergies. If your dog just ate chickpeas for the first time, keep a lookout for the following symptoms.
- Chronic diarrhea
- Chronic ear inflammation and infection
- Gastrointestinal problems
- Chronic gas
- Sensitive or itchy anus
- Excessive licking of their feet and chewing on their paws
If you notice your dog having an allergic reaction, rush them to the veterinarian or animal hospital immediately.
Now that you know the answer to the question, “Can dogs eat falafel?” You can focus on feeding your dog chickpeas which is a much healthier and safer option. Gradually introduce chickpeas to your dog’s diet by adding them to dry kibble and wet dog food or using it as a tasty treat.
Keep in mind while chickpeas are not toxic to dogs, they should only be fed a small amount. Consult with a dog nutritionist or veterinarian to pinpoint the perfect amount suited for your specific dog.
Chickpeas provide a variety of health benefits that could help improve and maintain your dog’s health. Start implementing chickpeas into your dog’s diet today, and remember to always consult with a veterinarian first before introducing any new food to your dog’s diet.