The name Shih Tzu means “lion dog” in Mandarin, Chinese. The Shih Tzu is not a hunter but a lover. This type of dog is bred solely for companionship because they are happy, affectionate, and outgoing pups who love following people from room to room.
However, in recent years, Shih Tzu’s have been trained for rally, obedience, and agility competitions.
For their entertainment purposes, you need to have the best dog toys for Shih Tzu that meet the following needs:
- Interactive and learning.
- Treat release.
- Retrieval for bonding and exercise.
Especially since they do well while living in apartments and do not need much outdoor exercising apart from short walks, you‘ll need to release any excess energy and keep them busy with indoor playtime.
5 Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
Chuckit! Ultra Ball is designed with a thick rubber core to ensure that it lasts long, extending your dog’s playtime while encouraging them to jump, leap, and stay active.
- Size – medium
- Weight – 6 ounces
- Why It’s Recommended -It bounces and floats for fetch games without limits
The colorful design of bright blue and orange colors will capture your dog’s attention and allow them to spot the ball on water and in tall grass.
This Ultra Ball can be used with the Chuckit! ball launcher because it is made from high-bounce rubber that ensures fetch games are engaging.
Chuckit! Ultra Ball has a lightweight and buoyant design to make fetching games more fun and interesting—especially if your Shih Tzu is a water-loving pup. You can take them to the pool or the beach for more fun.
This strong dog toy has a smooth rubber surface that will hold up to slobber and dirt, which allows you to easily wipe it clean. Chuckit! Ultra ball is available in all sizes ranging from small to xx-large to suit your Shih Tzu needs.
- Can play fetch at the pool or the beach with your dog using this toy?
- It is durable because of the thick rubber core.
- Keeps your pup engaged for a long time.
- Available in all sizes from small to xx-large.
- Bright colors enable it to be easily spotted and appealing to your dog’s eyes.
- Not good for aggressive chewers.
- Some of the balls may be defective.
- A few quality control issues.
- This ball may contain chemicals known to cause cancer and birth defects.
This Ultra Ball is available in two-packs to ensure that you always have an extra ball in your hand. It is compatible with the Chuckit! Ball launchers to improve fetch games with long-distance throws and slobber-free pickup (for you).
If dogs are not engaged enough, they can create their own fun by chewing your belongings for example clothing and furniture if their teeth are strong enough. The Nylabone will help your Shih Tzu develop healthy chewing habits and fight their destructive behavior while having a healthy physical and mental stimulation.
- Style – starter kit
- Color – pink
- Weight – 4 ounces
- Why It’s Recommended – To help your Shih Tzu chew their way through anxiety, boredom, and destructive chewing.
When dogs get lonely, they start chewing things as a way of soothing themselves. Caring for your Shih Tzu’s dental health from puppyhood to adulthood is also just as important as keeping them entertained. The Nylabone Chew Toy does both.
This Nylabone Starter Pack has a soft, chicken-flavored chew toy for teething puppies, chicken-flavored bone for when they get their permanent teeth, and edibles lamb & apple natural puppy treat for when they are 6 months or older.
Your Shih Tzu will have a safe and durable chew toy like Nylabone, which will keep them busy and happy. This will reduce the boredom that could lead to anxiety, digging, destructive, and dangerous behaviors, as well as excessive barking.
- This toy minimizes destructive chewing by your dog.
- Reduces stress and anxiety in your dogs.
- Reduces pain during puppy teething.
- It helps your dog develop healthy chewing habits at an early age.
- It lasts longer and keeps your Shih Tzu entertained.
- It does not shed little plastics all over the house.
- Some dogs may not be able to digest this chew toy.
- They might smell bad.
- Pieces from the chew bone may cause blockages in your pup’s digestive tract.
- Some picky dogs may not like this chew bone.
The Nylabone will ease the pain during teething for your Shih Tzu puppy and instill positive chewing habits when they are still young.
This OurPets IQ is recommended by vets for slow feeders to help in digestion and reduce bloating.
- Size – 4.4 x 4 x 4 inches
- Weight – 4.6 ounces
- Why It’s Recommended – Helps your dog’s mental health and digestion.
Your Shih Tzu will definitely love the challenge that comes with OurPets IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy. Your canine friend will have to work harder for their food when you set the difficulty level harder for them and fewer treats will dispense out of the toy.
The slow feeding will promote an active and healthy lifestyle for your Shih Tzu. It will give your dog the exercise they need while rewarding them.
By playing with the OurPets IQ Treat Ball Dog Toy, your Shih Tzu will boost their mental stimulation, while also acting as a good source of physical activity.
Playing with this dog toy will also lead to a strong relationship between you and your dog. This IQ Treat Ball is made from high-quality materials that will go untouched after a rough and tough playtime.
- Stimulates your dog’s mental health.
- A good source of exercise for your dog.
- Improves digestion for your dog if they are a slow feeder.
- Easy to clean.
- Keeps your dog occupied for quite some time.
- Your dog’s jaw may get stuck in the dispensing hole.
- Maybe hard to get the treats out from the hole.
- Not suitable for smaller dogs.
- The sturdy plastic can easily be destroyed by a clever dog.
This IQ Treat ball is easy to clean as you can simply twist it apart and open. It is suitable for small to medium-sized dogs.
ZippyPaws will provide your Shih Tzu with hours of great fun.
- Size – Large
- Dimensions – 18 x 0.5 x 2.5 inches
- Why It’s Recommended – It keeps your dog occupied for hours with fun playing
The best part? You do not need to clean up after your dog plays with this toy since there is no stuffing mess. This plush dog toy is made with safe and durable materials for your dog, and the set includes three large characters.
The adorable creatures include a fox, a raccoon, and a squirrel, which all have enticing sounds and fun designs to ensure that your Shih Tzu is entertained to avoid boredom.
If you have a medium dog and want them to enjoy a squeaking good time, this toy is 18 inches long which is a perfect size. It also comes with three round squeakers that produce more sound.
- It is a great quality toy.
- It is cheap and affordable.
- Lasts longer.
- Perfect for dogs with razor-sharp teeth.
- Great for playing tug of war with your dog.
- Satisfies the dogs obsessed with squeaks.
- Not for big dogs as it may cause a choking hazard.
- It requires supervision when your dog is playing with this toy.
- They can get wet and slippery easily.
All the materials from the ZippyPaws are hand-selected, designs hand-sketched, and finished products are passed through a testing team to ensure that the final product is of high quality and great design that you and your Shih Tzu will love.
The West Paw Zogoflex is a stick, a ball, and a bone at the same time.
- Size – Large
- Color – Aqua
- Weight – 5.6 ounces
- Why It’s Recommended – This toy is for dogs who chew aggressively and love to swim
If your Shih Tzu loves fetching in water, this could be the best toy for them. You will love this toy, too, since you can easily wash it in the dishwasher.
What sets this toy apart is that this Zogoflex is free from latex and is recyclable. It is guaranteed to last a long time and is certified as safe through various review processes and rigorous assessments.
The Hurley chew toy doesn’t get grimy from being in your dog’s mouth, either. It is a floatable and bouncing dog bone.
This toy will make your Shih Tzu physically and mentally stimulated—keeping them away from your furniture and shoes. It is FDA compliant, meaning it is safe for your dog to eat, it is also perfect to play in the grass, water, and snow because of the bright and easy to spot colors.
Once you buy this toy, it is recommended you join the manufacturer’s own recycling program, which encourages purchasers to recycle the Zogoflex dog toy when your Shih Tzu is finished with it.
- This toy is designed to be durable.
- Stimulates your dog both physically and mentally.
- 100% guaranteed safety if your dog eats it.
- It is recyclable.
- It is easy to clean as you can use the dishwasher.
- You can play fetch with the dog in water as it is floatable.
- Some picky dogs may not like the smell of this toy.
Zogoflex ensures that your pets enjoy their playtime while reducing the negative impact made on the environment.
Shih Tzus will love staying on your lap, but it is good to keep them active by giving them the best toy there is on the market.
From the above choices of dog, ZippyPaws is a clear winner of the best dog toy for Shih Tzu. This is because you will be environmentally friendly and socially responsible when you buy this dog toy. It is also recyclable and latex-free. It is safe for your dog’s health when they eat it. You can also play with your dog at the pool using this toy because it is floatable.
After playing, your dog will be mentally and physically stimulated. You can easily clean this toy using the dishwasher; therefore, do not be worried when it gets dirty.
Best Dog Toys for Shih Tzus
Shih tzus are a playful breed so be sure to entertain them with new and exciting toys!