Long flowing hair and silk cushions.
No, we’re not describing the things an A-list Diva aspires to in her dressing-room, but rather the expectations of that darling of the dog world, the Shih Tzu.
Shih Tzu’s aren’t heavy shedders, but that’s about the only easy thing about their long, luxurious coat.
To keep it looking at its glamorous best you need inside knowledge about the best shampoo for Shih Tzu.
Top 5 Best Shampoos for Shih Tzu
In fact, their coat grows so long that they need a topknot to stop it getting into their eyes (which makes for a great excuse to adorn your Shih Tzu with a satin ribbon bow or two!) Of course one of the trademarks of the Shih Tzu is that long flowing coat.
Since most of those long hairs in the coat are potentially quite old, there is a tendency for it to become dry and dull.
Then brushing a dry coat can lead to broken hairs and an unkempt appearance.
In an effort to improve things, you brush more regularly, which leads to a vicious circle.
So how to square this circle?
This regal canine companion excels in many ways.
From their friendly temperament to teddy bear cute looks.
However their hirsute appearance does takes time and commitment to keep it at its best, and the Shih Tzu pet parent must be prepared to groom their dog every day.
Daily care includes combing through the coat to remove tangles and giving it a good brushing to spread natural conditioning oils over the coat.
This also massages the skin, which improves the blood flow to the hair follicles, which in turn helps keep that coat at its luxurious best.
Keeping their hair clean and conditioned is also vital for your Shih Tzu to look their best.
To do this requires on the best shampoo for Shih Tzu dog which softens and conditions, adding vitality and strength to the fur.
With the wide choice of products on the market, the choice can seem overwhelming.
But don’t worry.
Let us help, with our suggestions as to the best shampoo for a Shih Tzu so that you can choose from products used and approved by fellow pet parents.
Let’s start at the beginning with that most beguiling of things, a Shih Tzu puppy.
But don’t let those fuzz-ball good looks deceive you: these guys get up to all sorts of trouble.
Add into that that they can be tricky to toilet train (which with long fur is b-a-d news) and often need extra help with their personal hygiene.
A puppy’s delicate skin places extra demands on a shampoo.
Our shopping list for the best shampoo for Shih Tzu puppies goes something like: cleans effectively, smells divine, gently moisturizing, and won’t irritate the skin.
Ho hum sounds pretty impossible – but wait – it seems Earthbath All Natural ticks all those boxes and more besides.
“More?” You say, “What else can we ask of a shampoo?”
Well, for a start there’s the fact that all the ingredients are natural.
It’s great to know that you aren’t bathing your precious pup is a chemical cocktail, but in things that sound good enough to eat such as a coconut-based cleanser, aloe vera, cherry extract, and olive oil.
The product is free from parabens, DEA, phosphates, and artificial perfumes, which also means it’s kind to the environment as well as your pup.
If we feeling really picky, we could say the scent of Earthbath is not to everyone’s taste, but then perfume is a subjective thing at the best of times so you’re never going to please all of the people all the time.
Pet Care Sciences
- Effective and safe : Highest quality professional grade formula dog shampoo and conditioner in one. Leaves your dog smelling great with their coat in wonderful condition. Also this is the best dog shampoo for smelly dogs on the market !
- Naturally Derived Formula: Made from coconut oil. Beware of cheap synthetic shampoos. Some Oatmeal shampoos are only 2% naturally derived but ours is 96% !
- Gentle: No Sulfate, Parabens, Phosphate, MEA or DEA. The Very Best Ingredients In a Shampoo For Dogs and Puppies.
- Easy To Use: Wet your dog’s coat, apply product and work into a rich lather. Then simply rinse! Dog Washing is fun too!
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed: From the brand you can trust, a promise for a hassle free 100% refund if you (or your pet) are not completely and utterly satisfied. A very effective formula from a reputable brand and with a full money back, 100% guarantee!
It’s imperative that your Shih Tzu puppy enjoys their bath time.
When a puppy learns to love his “spa” time it makes life so much easier when they’re older.
However, get it wrong with a shampoo that stings the eyes, and the puppy may hate bath time with a vengeance, and resist attempts to wash them in future, which is b-a-d news when that dog has a long coat like a Shih Tzu.
So in a growing list of ideal properties let’s add ‘tear-free’ to the list.
And heck, let’s go all out and seek a product that moisturizers like a conditioner, but in a 2-in-1 formulation to keep bathing to a minimum number of sink refills.
In our search for the best shampoo and conditioner for Shih Tzu puppies, we concluded that the PET CARE sciences product could not be ignored.
Indeed, rather than a 2-in-1 shampoo, this goes a whole hog further and is a 5-in-1 product.
That’s a whole bunch of extra features such as deodorizing, detangling, and moisturizing, in addition to washing and conditioning.
Again we were determined not to compromise on quality, and again we found a paraben, sulfate, and DEA free shampoo that is made from natural ingredients.
In this case, the active components are coconut and palm oil.
The PET CARE Sciences is a gentle, safe, and effective way to cleanse a Shih Tzu puppy and keep their coat and skin in tip-top condition.
Isle of Dogs Conditioner
- seals the cuticle to prevent damage
- formulated for luxurious softness
- highly recommended second step in grooming process
How do you solve a problem such as a long-haired coat that’s prone to tangling up?
Short of the nuclear option of clipping the dog short, you’ll be happy to hear there are products that can help.
Isle of Dogs in our opinion makes the best conditioner for Shih Tzu because this luxury product puts back lost moisture for the ultimate in smooth-coated luster.
In case you hadn’t cottoned on, using a dog conditioner is the doggy equivalent of conditioning your hair.
We’ve tracked down this Isle of Dogs product which is outstanding in its field, precisely because it makes so a real, physical difference to your ability to keep a long-haired dog tangle-free.
Indeed, this product is so good that we picked up some top tips from regular users.
One of which was you can get away with a less expensive, (but gentle) shampoo because the conditioner is such a hero product.
We can say this because that noticeable silky spring that it imparts to hair, means it’s less prone to tangles which means less stress at grooming time.
Another feature of this Silky Coating Conditioner is that it smells divine.
It has a trademark scent of jasmine and vanilla, which one enthusiastic fan told us lingers on their dog’s coat for a full two weeks.
For those pet parents obsessed about coat condition and are happy to push the boat out for a powder puff soft finish, you’ll want to consider the shampoo and spray-in detangler from the Isle of Dogs range for a fabulous just come out of the salon finish every day!
$11.99 in stock
- TropiClean Natural Flea & Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo kills fleas, ticks and mosquitoes by contact.
- The combination of natural essential oils helps to effectively repel fleas, ticks, larvae and eggs for up to 7 days when applied to dogs and puppies 12 weeks or older.
- Our Natural Flea and Tick Maximum Strength Shampoo contains no pyrethrins or permethrin, with 5 EPA-approved natural essential oils – clove oil, lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, cinnamon oil and sesame seed oil – for a pleasant citrus aroma.
- This natural essential blend contains some of nature’s most powerful pest fighting ingredients, maximized with lemongrass and sesame oil for long lasting effects.
- You don’t have to worry about washing away spot-on treatments! Our gentle coconut cleanser gives TropiClean shampoos a soap-free clean, luxurious lather and unmistakably fresh pets.
You love your fur-friend but you don’t love their hitch-hikers.
Fleas and ticks are unwelcome guests and quite right too because fleas cause irritation and ticks carry disease.
There are many choices for ridding your pet of parasites (some more effective than others).
Make your choice carefully and be sure to research the pros and cons of each option.
However, for the Shih Tzu who spends most of their time indoors and is at low risk of catching fleas or ticks, then you may want to consider an anti-parasite shampoo.
Of course with long-coated dogs, you also need to look for a product that is moisturizing rather than drying on the coat.
This is because many of the active ingredients that discourage fleas and ticks are harsh and can lead to drying.
We chose the TropiClean as our best flea and tick shampoo for Shih Tzu because it balances our wish list so perfectly.
For starters, this shampoo is free from permethrin and pyrethroids which are ingredients that are toxic to the environment (and in high enough concentrations, to your pet.)
TropiClean does what it says on the label because it has all-natural ingredients, and you can see the fleas being washed off your pet as you use it.
However, whilst we recommend this product in its class, be aware that the flea life cycle does mean it’s often necessary to use anti-parasite products on the pet’s bedding and the home, in order to kill the next generation of fleas lurking in the soft furnishings.
- DOG SHAMPOO MADE WITH USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC OILS AND ESSENTIAL OILS: Our 100% non-toxic natural hypoallergenic pet wash is handcrafted in small batches using plant based vegan ingredients like organic coconut oil, organic lemongrass essential oil – a natural flea deterrent – and soothing aloe vera. You have our promise of no synthetic or artificial chemicals! A little goes a long way to get rid of that wet dog smell!
- #1 CHOICE FOR HOLISTIC VETERINARIANS AND NATURAL GROOMERS – Since 2015, industry leaders have recognized 4-Legger as the most dependable dander reducing hypo-allergenic shampoo for normal / dry / itchy / allergy / sensitive skin. See all our certifications in the images to see why we are not only great for our pets but also our planet. Contains NONE of the synthetic artificial or toxic chemicals found in OTHER dog shampoo.
- WE DON’T COMPROMISE PET HEALTH FOR ATTRACTIVENESS – Our easy to lather and rinse lemongrass citrus shampoo naturally moisturizes by utilizing your pet’s natural oils to maintain a soft and shiny coat without artificial thickeners that add toxicity to your dog’s bath. Unfortunately, most other brands still depend on harmful artificial and toxic ingredients to achieve this. 4 Legger is safe for newborn pups, senior dogs, and even humans to use!
- ONLY 2% OF DOG SHAMPOOS REALLY ARE CERTIFIED ORGANIC – Don’t fall for common marketing gimmicks used by pet grooming brands to fool you into buying the same harmful formulations while paying a premium for “organic” and biodegradable We proudly display all of our ingredients and are USDA certified to food standards; we aren’t just making this up!
- RISK FREE 30 DAY GUARANTEE – You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying 4Legger shampoo. We’ve dedicated our lives to extending the precious time we have with our beloved pets by reducing environmental toxins in pet grooming products. Try it on your pets and even take it to your groomer or veterinarian for their input. If you find any reason to stop using our shampoo, simply return it for a 100% refund!
But what about the dog with sensitive skin?
The Shih Tzu is a breed prone to easily irritated skin.
This means that regular shampoos containing a high percentage of chemicals or artificial fragrance are prone to trigger allergic reactions.
But worse even than this, many dogs are allergic to pollens or other allergens in the air, which shows itself as itchy skin.
Vets recommend regular coat cleansing in order to wash those allergens away.
But you can find yourself stuck between a rock and a hard place when the cleansing shampoo also triggers allergies.
The answer is this soothing 4-Legger shampoo that is certified organic, made from natural ingredients, and hypoallergenic.
We recommend 4-Legger Organic Dog Shampoo as the best shampoo for Shih Tzu with allergies because of its wholesome qualities.
It uses the moisturizing and soothing properties of aloe vera and lemongrass to promote a clean coat, but without a harsh stripping effect.
The shampoo is free from chemicals including those pesky parabens and astringent sulfates.
Sustainably sourced and made in the US, this eco-friendly and vegan compatible product is indeed an outstanding product against which to measure others.
But don’t take our word for it! Pet parents gave us glowing accounts of how it made bathing a muddy dog a breeze, and how their dog smell so divine afterward they couldn’t stop snuggling them.
All this without an itch or scratch in sight!
And finally…What is the Best Shampoo for Shih Tzu?
When choosing the best shampoo for your Shih Tzu, consider them as an individual.
Do they have a particular coat care concern such as extreme drying, allergies, or parasites?
Bear this in mind and look for compatible products.
There is much debate about parabens and sulfates, and their desirability in a product.
Whilst they are applied to the skin, rather than ingested, the risks are minimal – but even then this is something not all pet parents are comfortable with.
If you prefer not to take even the smallest risk with your pet’s health, then select a shampoo that is made from all-natural ingredients.
Indeed, there’s never been a better time to have a wide choice because there are many excellent shampoos out there that do just this.
And of course, no matter what your shampoo choice, be sure to make bath time fun for your dog!
Investing a little time and attention, to reward your dog for willing participation in a bath, will reap dividends in the long run when it comes to future bathing.
Remember, even the best shampoo can’t guarantee a splash-free bath, but making bath time fun is a must.
The top 5 Best Shampoos for Shih Tzu
The 5 Best Dog Shampoos for Shih Tzu. Find out which shampoo will best suit your dog's situation!
- Pet Care Sciences
- Isle of Dogs Conditioner
- 4-Legger Organic