Maltese are one of the smallest breeds of toy dogs and yet he’s a little charmer with a big pull.
Who can fail to fall in love with that luxurious coat of long white fur that falls to the ground?
Indeed, his coat is so long and silky that it gives him the appearance of floating over the ground as he moves.
Every Maltese pet parent needs to know which is the best shampoo for Maltese to keep that eye-catching coat in tip-top condition.
Best Shampoos for Maltese
The basic equipment every Maltese owner needs is a comb and pin brush. But keeping the coat clean is only part of the story because this little dog with a long long coat needs daily brushing and grooming to stay knot-free.
Both of these help to straighten the hair in the same way we tend to our own.
The similarities don’t end there because the Maltese coat has a lot in common with a human head of hair.
The coat grows to a long length and there’s no undercoat.
It is often the fluffy undercoat that is allergenic and triggers allergic reactions in some people, and for this reason, the Maltese are often described as being hypoallergenic.
Of course, no dog is truly hypoallergenic, because it’s all a matter of trigger factors and what individual people are sensitive to.
However, a fluff-free pet pooch such as the Maltese is a lot less likely to be problematic that a fluff-fest of a breed.
Sweet, intelligent, and loyal, the Maltese’s small size makes them ideally suited to apartment or condo living.
The only reservations are that they can be a bit short-tempered with children, plus they tend to bark.
That intolerance to kids is born out of feeling vulnerable because of the dog’s small size, and perhaps with good reason as rough treatment can cause physical injury to a Maltese.
But that aside, for the pet parent prepared to devote time to coat care, the Maltese is a delightful breed.
So without further ado, let’s look at the best dog shampoo for Maltese.
- Gets the yellow out! unlike other whitening shampoos
- White on white can be used on all coat colors
- Contains no bleaching agents, harsh chemicals or softening agents
Do you know how white T-shirts go gray in the wash?
Well, a similar thing happens to white-haired dogs over time, their coat starts to go yellow.
No one wants their Maltese to look nicotine-stained and yet shampooing can sometimes make little difference.
A whitening shampoo could be the answer, but which ones work?
The best whitening shampoo for Maltese does not rely on bleach or harsh chemicals that can dry and damage the coat.
Indeed, this product from Chris Christensen is free from bleaching agents and it’s remarkable (literally!) effect is obtained by using optical whiteners.
Pet parents who use this shampoo say it makes a visible difference to their dog and now wouldn’t use any other product.
The slight drawback is that the shampoo needs to be left on for 10 minutes to get maximum benefit.
This allows the active ingredients to work their magic, and if a patch is particularly heavily stained you can add more shampoo and leave it a further five minutes.
Whilst this isn’t the most convenient thing in the world, at least it’s not too much of a problem logistically with a small dog.
Simply make sure the room is nice and warm before you start and hey presto – a bright white dog.
We should also point out that although this is a whitening shampoo because it doesn’t bleach, it’s fine to use on other coat colors.
The effect would be to brighten, rather than lighten, and produce a soft luster to the coat.
- SOOTHES AND MOISTURIZES DRY, ITCHY SKIN: Our all plant botanical based moisturizing pet shampoo contains high quality natural ingredients including oat proteins, aloe vera, coconut, vitamins A, D & E and fruit extracts to provide instant cooling and calming relief to inflamed, damaged skin. Our gentle oatmeal and baking soda shampoo soothes irritated skin and helps to relieve itching and scratching while leaving your dog or cat fresh and clean with moisturized skin and silky, conditioned fur.
- FORMULATED FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Our soothing pet wash is effective yet extremely gentle making it an excellent shampoo for animals with allergies and other sensitivities. Our all natural oatmeal shampoo is 100% detergent and alcohol free and 100% non-toxic. Its a safe alternative to other cleaners that contain harsh chemicals. Our non toxic pet shampoo does NOT CONTAIN parabens, SLS, or stripping Ethyl alcohol.
- AWARD-WINNING PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY: Winner of the 2020 Family Choice Awards. A consumer award program recognizing outstanding pet products while enriching the lives of our fur friends. Our oatmeal pet wash offers safe professional quality for dogs,cats,puppies,kittens,ferrets,guinea pigs,rabbits, and horses of all ages with normal or sensitive skin and leaves the coat shiny and soft! We stand behind the quality of our products with a 100% Satisfaction Money Back Guarantee.
- LIGHT APPLE SCENT: A wonderful fresh aroma makes bath time a pleasant experience for you and your pet! We use a light apple scent coupled with baking soda that offers antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. It works as a natural pet deodorizer that neutralizes pet odor instantly and keeps pets fresher for longer after bath time.
- OUR ETHICAL FAMILY COMMITMENT: Proudly made in the USA using socially responsible practices, locally sourced and sustainable ingredients, animal cruelty free production and eco-friendly recyclable packaging. 100% Money Back Guarantee! If you don't love our Oatmeal Shampoo let us know and receive a full, no questions asked refund. We are a small family owned business of pet lovers committed to making great products that are safe for you, your pets and the planet!
For those times when you want to wash ‘n’ go, rather than wait 10 minutes, you need the best shampoo for Maltese hair that will leave it clean, soft, and touchable.
It’s all too easy for that long Maltese hair to be stripped of oils and become dry and brittle.
To stop this happening you need a product that is effective at cleaning but also puts moisture back.
Bodhi ticks all the right boxes because it does just that.
For starters, it’s both vegan (not that you’re going to drink it) and organic, which also means it’s free from artificial colors, fragrances, and preservatives, and those nasty sounding chemicals such as parabens, sulfates, and DEAs.
The ingredients are distillations of natural oils and include such delicious-sounding ingredients as oatmeal (for its natural moisturizing and rebalancing properties) shea butter, aloe vera, chamomile, and rosemary.
All of this means not only is it gentle on the fur but it’s calming on the skin, making it ideal for delicate, allergic, or reactive skins.
Another bonus is that it’s a tear-free formulation, meaning there are no dramas if you accidentally get some in the dog’s eyes.
This means bath time is likely to be a fun time, rather than a stressful one, even though OxGord doesn’t guarantee it will be a splash-free affair!
This product has an outstanding approval rating for a shampoo.
The reason for this general chorus of acclaim is that you only need to use a little and yet the coat is noticeably improved afterward.
With such a large bottle, and only needing small volumes, the Bodhi represents excellent value for money especially for a product that delivers on its promises.
Pet's Show Hairdresser
- Smoothing, repairs the hair, filling keratin breaks, producing smoothness and natural fall
- relaxer treatment for breeds with long, straight hair, Yorkshire Terrier, Maltese, Afghan, etc
- anti-frizz, prolong the smoothing effect of keratin smoothing treatments
- keratin, which provides moisture, nutrition and hair care, leaving a soft, silky and shiny look
- Completely lacking sodium chloride or sulfates. It helps enhance and prolong the smoothing effect, preventing frizz and eliminating the appearance of free radicals deposited on the hair and improving the quality and nutrition of the hair fiber.
Dry damaged hair that’s lost its luster and is prone to breakage?
No, we’re not describing human hair but the long coat of your Maltese.
Long hair is old hair, as it takes a while to reach that length.
In the same way that long human hair becomes brittle and dull when it lacks moisture, so will your Maltese’s coat.
The answer is to treat your Maltese to the pet equivalent of a hairdresser shampoo, which in this case is this Pet’s Show Hairdresser product, designed to add back vital moisture and lock it in place for a smooth, shiny outer cuticle.
The shampoo is also sulfate-free and is ideal for any breed that has a long flowing coat from the Maltese up to the Afghan hound.
This keratin-based shampoo helps fill in roughness in the cuticle and helps to smooth the hair flat, which gives it the light reflective quality we recognize as a shiny gleaming coat.
Not only that but the added condition means the hair is less prone to frizz and stays looking good even in damp weather.
You will also find it easier to comb and brush your dog’s coat, as the teeth of the comb slide effortlessly between hairs that are less prone to matting and knotting.
If you really like to go to town on your dog there’s also a matching Pet’s Show conditioner to make sure your Maltese’s coat moves in that free-flowing way that just shouts good health.
- UNLIKE MOST Oatmeal Dog Shampoo We Use More COLLOIDAL Oatmeal (Not Cheaper Less Effective Oatmeal Extract) Making Us The Best Dog Shampoo For Dry Itchy Skin
- DOG SHAMPOO FOR SMELLY DOGS: Grooming, whitening concentrate safely cleans your dirty, shedding puppy
- HYPOALLERGENIC PUPPY SHAMPOO: Calm your pet's itching skin with our fresh, gentle, therapeutic oatmeal aloe formula without irritating any allergy or itch
- ALL NATURAL CAT SHAMPOO: Moisturizing, hydrating, and conditioning while sulfate, phosphate, and allergen free
- ALL BREEDS: Wash your smelly pet: horse, guinea pig, ferret, cats and of course puppies with our sweet smelling soap deodorizer. Best dog oatmeal shampoo wash (1 bottle)
Maltese skin is sensitive, and in some cases, it is also allergic both to airborne allergens in the environment and to anything put onto the skin.
To avoid excessive itching and the misery of allergic skin, regular washing of affected dogs helps to remove those itch triggering allergens from the surface of the skin.
However, the pet parent is then left with a dilemma.
What if the dog is allergic to the shampoo necessary to wash off allergens?
This is a common problem because dogs with environmental allergies are often sensitive to the perfumes or harsh chemicals in many shampoos.
This is why the Oatmeal and Aloe Pet Shampoo is the best for Maltese dogs with skin allergies or sensitivity.
First of all it is an all-natural product, and free from Parabens, chemicals, and fragrance.
The active ingredients are gentle, natural extracts of coconut, aloe vera, and olive oil.
They work in harmony to produce an effective but mild cleansing product.
Of course, if your dog is allergic to coconut, aloe vera, or olive oil then they will react, but these are natural products and extremely low down on the list of things likely to trigger an allergic reaction.
Many groomers recommend this shampoo to clients who are at their wits end because of their dog’s sensitive skin.
Pet parents of itchy dogs found that it soothed the itch whilst leaving the coat in gleaming glistening condition afterward.
Anyone familiar with the misery of living with an itchy dog will understand what a complete relief it is to be able to bathe their dog and not have them itching for days afterward.
For its gentle cleaning effect, all-natural ingredients, and suitability for even the most sensitive skin this Mika Pets hypoallergenic product is great for a Maltese with sensitive skin.
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burts Bees Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your puppy's skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy's coat
- DIRECTIONS — Apply to dog's wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. Shampoo will have a light lather as this solution is made with only natural ingredients that are safe and effective for your pet. Store in a cool, dry place
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES — This mild shampoo and conditioner is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
You need to start as you mean to go on and bathe your Maltese as a young puppy.
This helps them get used to the inevitable coat care that follows into their adult life to keep them looking at their pearly white best.
However, young puppies tend not to be good at staying still, especially in water.
This can lead to wriggling and splashing, and shampoo accidentally getting in places where it shouldn’t such as the eyes.
If a pup’s eyes get stung by shampoo they will rapidly learn to be wary of bath time and it will become an ever-increasing struggle.
The answer is, therefore, to make bath times as pleasant as possible and use no tears products, just in case the inevitable happens.
It is little and gentle enough for regular use and is pH balanced to be in harmony with even the most delicate skins.
It also rinses out easily, so if you are having a splashing time it helps keep the bath as short as possible.
The fragrance is light and pleasant, so it doesn’t overpower your nose or the pups!
What we really like about Burts Bees is that it does what it says on the label.
We found pet parents who use it no longer have to worry about getting shampoo in their pups’ eyes, and even one dog with particularly sensitive eyes was left happy and wagging at bath time instead of wriggling away.
And finally, taking care of your Maltese’s coat should be a pleasure rather than a trial.
When you use the best shampoo for Maltese that meets the needs of long hair, then life becomes so much easier.
That soft coat is less likely to knot and tangle, and the skin is healthier.
This makes touching their coat an enjoyable experience and it gives the dog that magical appearance of gliding across the ground as they trot along.
The best Maltese shampoo is kind to their coat and skin, is pH balanced, and preferably contains natural ingredients and is free from parabens and sulfates.
It should lather well and rinse off easily.
Of course, this fragrance is something that’s a personal taste, but a light refreshing fragrance is more in keeping with the character of the Maltese dog.
Remember, enjoy taking care of your Maltese by using the right products for the breed and you’ll look forward to bath time as you’ll be excited to see the results each time.
Best Shampoos for Maltese
5 Best Dog Shampoos for Maltese rated and reviewed.
- Chris Christensen
- Bodhi Oatmeal
- Pet's Show Hairdresser
- Mika Pets
- Burt's Bees