The French bulldog (also affectionately known as the Frenchie) is riding high on the crest of a wave of pup-clarity – and little wonder.
These stocky, plucky characters have it all.
From bat-like ears to pug-like smooshed noses, and then those that soft loose skin which makes petting a Frenchie irresistible.
From a pet parent’s point of view, French bulldogs give so much, and yet need little by way of coat care or maintenance.
However, Frenchie’s do have deceptively delicate skin and to keep him comfortable when he does need a wash it’s important to use the best shampoos for French bulldogs, which are both soothing and moisturizing.
Top 5 Best Shampoos for French Bulldogs
Apart from a good brush once a week and the occasional bath that’s you done!
No costly trips to the grooming parlor or the need for regular haircuts.
Your French bulldog’s best way of showing off is to have a mirror finish on that short coat.
This is easy to do when you use the best tools and spend time each week giving him a home spa treatment.
The basic grooming equipment you need includes a good quality rubber grooming tool or mitt.
This helps ‘polish’ his coat by spreading the natural oils over the surface, whilst at the same time, the rubber nobbles held drag out shed hair from the coat.
In addition, it’s a good idea to have a de-shedding tool, which rakes through the undercoat and keeps shedding to a minimum.
Given the chance, French bulldogs are game little dogs and enjoy running through mud and rolling in things they shouldn’t.
This means bath time is in order, so be prepared by purchasing the best shampoo for French bulldogs that you can afford.
Factors to consider include whether your dog has allergies or specific needs.
When it comes to things such as fragrance there’s a surprising choice out there, so be prepared to shop around to find the one that best suits your dog!
- Wild Cherry
- Naturally tearless and pH balanced
- Made in the USA
French bulldog puppies are so cute it hurts!
But that cuteness does sometimes need a little help to stay clean, after all, it’s a big old world out there and it needs exploring – even the muddy corners.
However, as well as being unbearably sweet, the Frenchie pup has large eyes (a bigger target to get soap in) a flat face (so the soap slides down into those eyes more easily) and is prone to wriggling.
Oh dear, not a good combination for a tear-free bath time.
There are lots of tear-free products out there but we rank Earthbath one right up there as the best for French bulldog puppies because of all the added extras it provides.
Earthbath is an ethical company that has an eye on caring for the environment as much as providing first-class products that are safe for your precious pup.
With this in mind, the active ingredients are all-natural and biodegradable.
This means no nasty parabens, sulfates, DEA or other components or a chemical cocktail that you’d far rather avoid.
But don’t be deceived because this is still a highly effective product and will gently cleanse your Frenchie puppy and leave him with the heavenly scented with wild cherries.
Indeed, this product is so gentle but effective that pet parents of dogs with problem skins find they can use it without problems.
Dogs with allergies or those prone to hot spots, find it a soothing and effective way of cleansing their coats.
The one downside of Earthbath (which in fairness isn’t going to affect the Frenchie owner) is that it doesn’t penetrate well into a really thick coat such as a Husky.
However, one-size does not fit all and for the Frenchie, it’s a great choice.
- Relief for sensitive skin - Vet's best hypo-allergenic dog shampoo for sensitive skin is a gentle, soap-free shampoo for dogs that relieves itching and helps to smooth dry, brittle coats.
- Natural remedy - We use a veterinarian formulated blend of key natural ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E to comfort and relieve your pet.
- Use as needed - Vet’s best allergy itch relief dog shampoo may be used as often as necessary to remove allergens without drying out your dog’s skin.
- Works with other treatments - Will not affect topical flea and tick control products.
- Total care - Vet's best hypo-allergenic dog shampoo is part of our complete treatment system for dry and sensitive skin. Use with Vet’s best moisture mist and vet’s best ear relief wash & dry.
Itchiness due to allergy is triggered when the allergen (the thing triggering the allergy, such as pollen) settles on the skin.
The sleek coat of the French bulldog means that there’s less fur to act as a shield over the skin, and it’s easier for allergens to do their dastardly deeds.
To reduce the itching associated with allergies vets recommend regular bathing because this physically washes the pollen off.
But you then face a new dilemma if your dog has sensitive skin and reacts to preservatives, chemicals, or perfumes.
This is where a hypo-allergenic shampoo comes in as invaluable aid to reducing itch.
This Vet’s Best product gets our vote for Frenchies with skin allergies.
It has a gentle, tear-free formulation, and contains soothing aloe vera and Vitamin E for its moisturizing properties.
Not only does it cleanse gently and effectively, but it also leaves the dog’s coat feeling soft and supple.
Indeed, it helps add moisture to the skin as well, and when the skin is in tip-top condition it forms a better barrier to the entry of allergens.
Bear in mind that allergies can be triggered by anything (just think of how some people react to nuts, others to seafood, and so on.)
Even a completely natural product could cause a reaction if the individual is allergic to one of the ingredients.
This is through no fault of the product.
But what you can do is use a hypo-allergenic product which contains a limited palette of ingredients of the highest quality, hence reducing the potential for upset.
- WHY WASH YOUR 4 LEGGED LOVE ONE IN A BUCKET OF CHEMICALS? When we say Natural and Organic – We mean 100% Natural and Organic! No sulfates. No preservatives. No chemicals. and easy to rinse. ALWAYS CRUELTY FREE
- ITCHY SKIN or HOT SPOTS? We are the only dog shampoo with Bentonite Clay. This clay has been known for centuries for natural healing abilities. It leaves your dogs fur squeaky clean and calm, soothed skin.
- SKIN ISSUES? We use Argon Oil. Rich in emollients, it moisturizes, conditions and reduces skin issues and flaking. SHEA BUTTER and ALOE VERA Soothe, soften and moisturize the skin as well as leave hair silky and shiny.
- ESSENTIAL OILS Leave your best friend smelling naturally great – no fake perfumes! ECO-FRIENDLY – Safe for lakes and streams as well as your dog. Remember, your dog cleans and grooms himself by licking. Make sure you are using 100% safe ingredients.
- VERY CONCETRATED – We have a reducer in the neck of the bottle which allow you to control the amount you squeeze out. (SEE VIDEO). MADE IN USA IN SMALL BATCHES – We are committed to excellence and make our product in small batches to ensure quality and effectiveness. You and your dog’s happiness with Moosh is our highest priority.
All skin has a natural population of bacteria and yeast on the surface.
Normally, this doesn’t cause a problem, but sometimes those bacteria or yeast can breed out of control and cause infections.
This is especially likely if the dog has allergies and chews himself, or in places that are warm and moist such as between the toes.
One product that can help you keep those bacterial and fungal populations under control is the Fieldworks antibacterial and antifungal.
The even better news is that this is a natural product, and Fieldworks so eloquently put it: “Why bathe your best buddy in a bucket of chemicals when natural organic ingredients will do the same job?”
The active ingredients include:
- Bentonite Clay: Known for its absorbent properties to remove toxins and dirt
- Neem Oil: A powerful, natural insect repellent
- Argan Oil: Moisturizing and cleansing
- Essential Oils: Including vetiver and rosemary, for a pleasant, fresh fragrance
- Moisturizing agents such as shea butter, aloe vera, coconut oil, and olive oil.
A little goes a long way, and the bottle even contains a special valve to stop too much pouring out in one go.
In addition, the organic ingredients are environmentally friendly and safe enough to use on your dog in a natural watercourse should you so wish.
- Enhances White And Light-Colored Coats! Bring Back That Bright Shine Their Coat Used To Have As A Puppy!
- Cleans Your Dog Thoroughly While Adding Luster To Their Coat! Helps Control Matting And Tangling! Leaves Hair Smooth, Manageable And Shiny With A Delicious Pina Colada Scent!
- Ph Balanced! Healthy Breeds Offers A High-Quality Bright Whitening Shampoo That Moisturizes And Nourishes Your Dog’S Skin And Coat!
- Made In The Usa! Buy With Confidence! All Shampoos Made In Federally Regulated Manufacturing Facilities! Excellent Customer Service And Return Policy. 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed!
- Healthy Breeds Offers An Assortment Of Dog Healthcare Products, Grooming Products And Treats For Over 200 Breeds! Make Sure To Search For Your Breed! Click The Healthy Breeds Hyperlink Above The Title To See Our Amazon Storefront!
The Frenchie comes in a variety of coat colors, included white mixes.
The trouble is when you have an active dog that loves mud bathing or getting down and dirty, those white patches can quickly look gray.
One option is to use a harsh product, but as well as refreshing the color it also strips oils from the coat, leading to dryness.
A better answer is to use a whitening shampoo, which is where Healthy Breeds comes in handy, which is specifically designed for French Bulldogs.
We liked a number of things about this product.
Firstly, it’s not a harsh product, with the inclusion of oatmeal and vitamins adding nourishment to the coat and skin.
Indeed, if you used it on a longer coated breed, the miniaturization is sufficient to aid detangling and control mats.
Secondly, Healthy Breeds benefits the clarity of white coats, it will add luster and sheen to brindle or darker colors, hence enhancing the overall appearance of your French bulldog’s coat.
$6.99 in stock
- SOOTHES AND SOFTENS — Burts Bees Puppy Shampoo and Conditioner cleans, soothes, softens, and conditions your puppy's skin and coat
- MADE WITH THE HIGHEST QUALITY INGREDIENTS — All natural ingredients include buttermilk, which soothes skin and softens hair and linseed oil, which deeply conditions your puppy's coat
- DIRECTIONS — Apply to dog's wet coat. Work from head to tail and rinse, carefully avoiding eyes. Shampoo will have a light lather as this solution is made with only natural ingredients that are safe and effective for your pet. Store in a cool, dry place
- SUITABLE FOR ALL DOGS AND PUPPIES — This mild shampoo and conditioner is pH balanced especially for all dogs and puppies
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended formula, free of fragrances, sulfates, colorants, and harsh chemicals
Sometimes all you want is a good all-round 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner that’s suitable for most skin types and less likely to cause allergies.
From all the choices available it can be difficult to fight your way through to find a one-size-fits-all type product.
It does all the jobs you’d expect such as cleansing the coat, deodorizing, and leaving their hair invitingly soft.
It contains natural ingredients such as oatmeal and aloe vera that are naturally moisturizing so that it doesn’t strip the skin of its oils and helps soothe itchiness.
Indeed, buttermilk and linseed are safe choices for the majority of pet parents whose dog is oversensitive to chemicals, perfumes, or additives.
We also love how Burt’s Bees explain their shampoo can’t prevent an allergy but provided your pet is not allergic to the ingredients, it will help to soothe it.
It’s also reassuring to know that these products are manufactured under cruelty-free guidelines in the US, FDA approved facility.
Indeed, some dogs that had previously been consigned to a life in a cone were so improved they were able to take the cone off.
It sounds like a life-changing product to us!
With something to suit most coat types, hopefully, the choice of shampoo is made a little easier for you.
Know you have the perfect product, just be sure to use it in the right way to ensure a soft and glossy sheen to your Frenchie’s coat.
Our top tips are to use a small amount of product and work it well into the coat.
Then rinse well, until the drain water runs away clear.
Be aware that leaving a residue on the skin, (no matter how good the shampoo) will lead to dullness or tackiness.
Also, if you tend to wash your dog regularly, then make sure it adds moisture.
This helps to replace the natural oils that are removed when you wash.
It is also important to know that even when a shampoo is hypoallergenic, this doesn’t mean it won’t trigger an itch if your dog happens to be allergic to one of the ingredients.
So if your dog is itchy, definitely choose a hypoallergenic product.
But if they still itch, it’s highly likely they may be reacting to one of the ingredients, which is no reflection on the quality of the product.
So here’s to happy, healthy, satin-coated Frenchies.
Have a splashing time at bath time and let the good times roll!
Best Shampoo for French Bulldog
Choosing the best shampoo for your Frenchie is easy with our detailed reviews! Whether you want something organic or for sensitive skin we have you covered!
- Vet's Best
- Healthy Breeds
- Burt's Bees