The Yorkshire Terrier, or Yorkies as they are affectionately called – what they lack in stature, they certainly make up for in personality!
Whether your little bundle of joy is a lap dog or enjoys getting mucky in the countryside, with their sensitive skin and flowing hair, Yorkies require regular baths to keep them clean and healthy, so choosing the best shampoo for Yorkies is important. They might think they are the tough guy on the street, but, as we know, they are actually quite delicate, and need looking after!
Choosing the right shampoo for your Yorkie is especially important as they are prone to allergies, which can cause itching and discomfort.
So, when choosing, you need to avoid these ingredients: parabens, which can cause hormone imbalance; Petroleum; sodium sulfates, which can cause eye irritation. Ingredients to look for are Aloe Vera and bio-oils such as almond, lavender, lemongrass, and rosemary.
5 Best Shampoo’s for Yorkies
Earthbath is produced using only 100% natural, biodegradable ingredients; it is soap-free and PH balanced.
- Size – 472 ml and 3.8 liters
- Why We Recommend –This shampoo is 100% biodegradable and contains no parabens, sulfates or synthetic perfumes or dyes.
It has been formulated to particularly address the common issues that Yorkies can have with dry, itchy skin and allergies. Oatmeal and aloe vera help combat or ease skin irritation and promote healing so with this gentle formula your little terrier will enjoy bath time.
Whether your Yorkie wears his coat with a shortcut so only needs to be bathed every few weeks, or if he sports the long, flowing look and requires much more regular washing, using this shampoo will leave his coat soft and smooth, and grooming will be so much easier. The oatmeal and aloe vera will also moisturize his skin, and help prevent any dryness or itching.
As with any moisturizing shampoo, it is suggested that you massage the lather thoroughly into the coat and body for a few minutes to allow the ingredients to get to work, then rinse thoroughly until the water runs clear.
- 100% biodegradable
- Safe for use on animals from 6 weeks old
- No sulfates or detergents
- Doesn’t remove flea treatments
- Available in 3.8 liters as well as 472 ml
- Some people have commented that the container can leak in transit
- The scent is a personal thing, and although it doesn’t last long, the sweet vanilla/almond scent isn’t to everyone’s taste
Earthbath will not wash out your regular flea treatment but still leaves your little friend’s skin moisturized, with a lovely soft and silky coat for you both to enjoy – especially at grooming time.
- DOG SHAMPOO MADE WITH USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC OILS AND ESSENTIAL OILS: Our 100% non-toxic natural hypoallergenic pet wash is handcrafted in small batches using plant based vegan ingredients like organic coconut oil, organic lemongrass essential oil and soothing aloe vera. You have our promise of no synthetic or artificial chemicals! A little goes a long way to get rid of that wet dog smell!
- #1 CHOICE FOR HOLISTIC VETERINARIANS AND NATURAL GROOMERS – Since 2015, industry leaders have recognized 4-Legger organic dog shampoo as the most dependable dander reducing hypo-allergenic shampoo for normal / dry / itchy / allergy / sensitive skin. See all our certifications in the images to see why we are not only great for our pets but also our planet. Contains NONE of the synthetic artificial or toxic chemicals found in OTHER dog shampoo.
- WE DON’T COMPROMISE PET HEALTH FOR ATTRACTIVENESS – Our easy to lather and rinse lemongrass citrus shampoo naturally moisturizes by utilizing your pet’s natural oils to maintain a soft and shiny coat without artificial thickeners that add toxicity to your dog’s bath. Unfortunately, most other brands still depend on harmful artificial and toxic ingredients to achieve this. 4 Legger is safe for newborn pups, senior dogs, and even humans to use!
- ONLY 2% OF DOG SHAMPOOS REALLY ARE CERTIFIED ORGANIC – Don’t fall for common marketing gimmicks used by pet grooming brands to fool you into buying the same harmful formulations while paying a premium for “organic” and biodegradable We proudly display all of our ingredients and are USDA certified to food standards; we aren’t just making this up!
- RISK FREE 30 DAY GUARANTEE – You have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying 4Legger shampoo. We’ve dedicated our lives to extending the precious time we have with our beloved pets by reducing environmental toxins in pet grooming products. Try it on your pets and even take it to your groomer or veterinarian for their input. If you find any reason to stop using our shampoo, simply return it for a 100% refund!
Another shampoo designed specifically for the more sensitive skinned canines like our Yorkshire Terriers, which qualifies it as possibly the best shampoo for Yorkies. 4-Legger uses only natural ingredients and essential oils.
- Size – 473 ml
- Why We Recommend – This shampoo is hypoallergenic, biodegradable, with no sulfates or detergent. The lemongrass oil is a natural flea deterrent.
It is also a hypoallergenic pet wash which contains aloe vera and bio-oils of lemongrass and rosemary – although there are other scented options that all contain natural bio-oils. This product is designed to give your special little friend a safe deodorizing and moisturizing bath treatment.
Yorkies frequently suffer from skin irritation and dryness, so although a regular grooming schedule is vital, so is regular bathing, to keep their hair and skin clean and nourished.
The gentle ingredients whichever scented option you choose, are designed for regular use, so whether it be a weekly bath for your long-haired Yorkie, or less often if he keeps his hair short, this product will not take out the natural oils in his coat.
This range also comes in other flavors, the peppermint, eucalyptus and aloe, and the aloe and lavender, to name a couple, again all of these options only contain natural oils and are soap-free. There is also an unscented option. All formulated with our special little hairballs’ special needs in mind.
- 100% Biodegradable.
- All-natural ingredients
- No sulfates or detergents
- Safe to use on dogs of all ages
- Choice of scented or unscented
- The liquid is a bit thin, so be careful when first using it
Although 4-Legger is slightly pricier than my first suggestion, all the reviews agree that a little of this shampoo goes a long way.
|Is Adult Product|
Nootie is designed especially for dogs with long hair, like our little Yorkshire Terriers, and is another contender for the best shampoo for Yorkies.
- Size – 16 oz
- Why We Recommend – Non-medicated, soap and paraben-free.
With its aloe and oatmeal recipe, this product has been formulated to provide a shampoo that both soothes and moisturizes their sensitive skin and conditions their coats. The added coconut oil acts as a deodorizer, and adds a gentle, subtle scent, removing that ‘doggy’ smell that can build up when they’ve been rushing around investigating in the garden or chasing about on walks.
It also gently conditions your little terrier’s hair, leaving it soft and smooth, without residue, so with your regular grooming schedule, it will leave his coat shiny and tangle-free as well as soft and silky to stroke.
As with all moisturizing/conditioning shampoos, to gain the full effects of the enriching aloe and oatmeal, it is a good idea to massage the lather in for a minute or two to ensure it reaches onto the skin and throughout the coat before thoroughly rinsing.
- Specifically designed for longer haired dogs
- Moisturizes the skin and conditions the hair
- Medicated option available
- Not biodegradable
If your Yorkie has started to suffer from itching, this range of Nootie-shampoos also provides a ‘dermatology solutions’ medicated product for those dogs who suffer from recurring irritations or allergies, that product contains 1% Lidocaine and 1% Pramoxine.
- EFFECTIVELY DEODORIZES – TropiClean Aloe & Coconut Deodorizing Dog & Cat Shampoo effectively eliminates pet odors at their source while replenishing the moisture balance of your pet’s skin and coat.
- TROPICAL SCENT – The long lasting tropical scent of aloe and coconut leaves your pet smelling fresh and ready for cuddles!
- SAFE SOLUTION – pH Balanced, Soap Free, Paraben Free and Dye Free. Made with naturally derived ingredients and safe when used as directed on dogs and cats 12 weeks or older.
- ODOR ELIMINATING – To help further eliminate pet odors, use our Deodorizing Pet Sprays for longer lasting freshness.
- MADE IN THE USA – We proudly manufacture and ship our products with only the highest quality, naturally derived ingredients.
TropiClean uses natural ingredients, this little beauty will give your Yorkie a gentle, cleansing and soothing, soap-free wash, nurturing both skin and hair.
- Size – 20 fl oz / 592 ml
- Why We Recommend – This shampoo is 100% natural, 70% organic, and comes in a biodegradable container.
The combination of aloe vera and coconut oils is a well-established combination for not only nourishing the skin but both ingredients also help stimulate healthy hair growth. Incidentally, both coconut oil and aloe vera can be applied to your Yorkie’s paws if they become dry and cracked or itchy.
Many Yorkie owners also find rubbing coconut oil into the coat during their grooming schedule helps prevent tangling, and makes the whole grooming experience easier.
Another plus for those eco-conscious Yorkie lovers amongst us, this soap-free product contains 100% natural ingredients, and the packaging is also biodegradable. What’s more, it is also available in gallon size to reduce your recycling.
- 100% natural ingredients
- Choice of scents
- Biodegradable containers
- Some comments on lather consistency
If this particular scent is not to your taste, as well as the Aloe and Coconut, they offer many other fragrances, including kiwi and cocoa butter and oatmeal and tea tree. So whether your Yorkie has long hair and needs regular bathing, or sports a shorter coat, there will be one to suit your special little friend’s special needs.
- Shampoo provides a gentle & sensitive touch for your pet.
- Rich lather will gently clean your pet without leaving its skin dry or irritated.
- Works like a Cedar Bed, This is a concentrate makes up to 4 gallons.
- Coat conditioner within the shampoo so you only have to use one bottle to get everything done.
- Yields 4 Gallons of Pet Shampoo & Conditioner!
Minksheen by Touch of Mink is my final suggestion for the best shampoo for Yorkies. This product is also available in larger bottles to make it even more affordable.
- Size – 16 fl oz
- Why We Recommend – Unlike the other products suggested, this is a concentrate, so a little goes a long way. 100% organic with no chemicals or toxins.
Being a concentrate, you need to mix this shampoo with water before use. The recommended product to water ratio is one part concentrate to eight parts water. This creates a rich lather, easy to massage into your Yorkie’s coat. Incidentally, it is also a great shampoo for your other pets too.
The main ingredient is mink oil, which is well known for its restorative and protective qualities, and leaves your pet’s coat silky smooth and shiny, and keeps his skin gently moisturized.
It is topped up with eucalyptus, cedar and citronella extracts, all of which are effective flea and insect and also bacteria repellents, there is also added vitamin E to help nourish the skin and add that extra ‘show coat’ sheen. This combination promotes healthy, soft and shiny hair as well as preventing itchy, dry skin.
- Economical as comes in big bottles and is A CONCENTRATE
- 100% organic
- Promotes healthy hair growth
- Bacteria and flea repellent
- Some reviews have complained of damage in transit
Minksheen is 100% organic, but with the combination of natural oil extracts, it still provides an effective, gentle cleansing, combined with bacteria and flea repellent qualities.
While all of the above Yorkie shampoos come highly recommended, our choice for the best shampoo for Yorkies is Earthbath. A shampoo that is suitable for dogs with normal, dry, itchy or allergy-sensitive skins, and does wonders for their coats too.
This All-Natural, hypoallergenic product is 100% biodegradable, including the packaging. It produces a rich, gentle lather to massage into your dog’s coat and onto the skin to give him an enriching, effective bath, and leaving his coat soft, silky and easy to groom.
Containing no sulfates, while it is important to try to avoid getting shampoo in your Yorkie’s eyes, if that was to happen, this product will not cause any lasting damage. It offers a safe, effective yet gentle and conditioning wash for your pet’s skin and hair. An added extra is that the lemongrass oil also provides flea with a deterrent.
So whether your little bundle of fur is just a puppy or full-grown adult, give this amazing shampoo a try.
Best Shampoo for Yorkies
Taking care of your Yorkshire Terrier couldn't be easier with the right shampoo! Be sure to read the detailed reviews before purchasing!