Puppies are super cute, bundles of energy that love playing and sticking close to their owners. As cute as puppies can be, we also know that they can get a little destructive, especially when the troublesome teething months hit. Once their baby teeth start falling and their adult teeth come in anything that they can get their mouths on will be chewed and torn apart.
To save your shoes, clothes, and other precious items, invest in the best chew toys for puppies. Puppy teething toys are specially designed to be durable against your puppy’s constant chewing while being safe on their growing bodies.
There is a chew toy out there for every puppy but you might have to experiment with different brands and materials before you can find the right one for your puppy. Don’t worry about it, though, we have listed some high quality chew toys to help your decision process go smoothly.
12 Best Chew Toys for Puppies
West Paw Zogoflex
- DURABLE DOG CHEW TOYS FOR AGGRESSIVE CHEWERS: Keep your friendly Fido busy and entertained with this dog chew toy from West Paw that features hidden treats or kibble he must discover during play.
- INTERACTIVE CHEW TOYS FOR DOGS: If you have dog or playful pup who loves to gnaw and chew at home, safeguard your furniture by giving him this brightly-colored dog or puppy chew toy that will occupy pets for hours.
- STIMULATING DOG CHEW TOYS: Prolong play with this mentally stimulating dog chew toy that can be filled with kibble or treats. Once the treats are gone, use this floatable dog chew toy for fetch, toss and catch.
- EASY TO GRASP DOG CHEW TOY: The durable, treat-dispensing design of these dog chew toys poses a challenge to engage and intrigue your canine companion. Great for freezing chicken broth inside.
- RECYCLABLE PET TOYS: Not only do these dog chew toys from West Paw feature bright colors to easily spot inside or out, each dog chew toy is non-toxic, recyclable, dishwasher safe and Made in USA.
West Paw Zogoflex provides a tough, long-lasting chew toy for even the toughest of chewers.
- Comes in blue, orange, and green
- Can hide treats inside it
- Comes in a small and large size
- 100% lifetime guarantee
This rubber chew toy has three ends for optimal chewing delight. It is a safe chewing toy for dogs since it is BPA and Phthalate-free, non-toxic, and complies with FDA regulations.
There is an open ridge underneath it that is perfect for hiding treats in to add an extra mental stimulation to your puppy. For an extra challenge, freeze the toy with dog-safe peanut butter or your puppy’s favorite treats to help numb their sensitive gums and make treat getting a challenge.
In case your puppy was to destroy the toy, West Paw has a guarantee where they replace the toy for you free of charge; you’re practically buying a toy for life for your puppy.
- Long-lasting material
- Fun and interactive shape
- Might not be super durable against dogs with a stronger jaw strength
West Paw is an amazing, recyclable chew toy that is guaranteed to keep your puppy entertained.
- Appropriate Chewing: The KONG Puppy soft rubber formula is customized for a growing puppy's baby teeth and gums. This gentle, but long-lasting toy helps satisfy instinctual needs and provides mental stimulation. By encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, this treat-dispensing puzzle toy helps solve chewing, separation anxiety, teething, boredom, weight management, crate training, digging and barking
- Fetch Toy: The KONG Puppy's unpredictable bounce makes for exciting games of fetch and other interactive play with your pet. This is a fun way for beginning chewers to get the exercise they need and expend excess energy
- Great For Stuffing: The stuffable KONG Puppy is even more enticing when treat filled with bits of puppy kibble, peanut butter, KONG Puppy Easy Treat, Snacks or Ziggies. Dishwasher safe for easy clean up. Bonus: For an added challenge, freeze stuffed KONG for 4-6 hours before giving to your puppy
- Vet Recommended: Veterinarians and trainers worldwide recommend the KONG Puppy as one of the best durable puppy toys available
- Made in the USA. Globally Sourced Materials
KONG Puppy not only helps keep your puppy out of mischief but can also be used as a vital training tool.
- Comes in four sizes: x-small, small, medium, and large
- Comes in two colors: blue and pink
- Helps promote proper chewing behavior
KONG is made of the toughest rubber perfectly suitable for teething. You can stuff your puppy’s favorite treat in this toy to give them an extra challenge and mental stimulation and to help alleviate their boredom.
A bored puppy means destructive habits can develop. By using this chew toy you can stop destructive habits from developing and help your puppy develop positive behavior.
You can also use this chew toy as a training tool. Say you are trying to crate train your puppy. By filling this toy with appealing treats it can ease the separation anxiety and nervousness from your puppy with a proper and safe distraction to make crate training easier.
- Helps clean teeth and soothe gums
- Made in the USA
- Has a strong odor when first used
Your puppy will wag their tail with delight whenever they see you holding the KONG ready to play with them.
- Teething Puppy Bones: Gentle puppy chew toys that ease pain during the teething stage
- Flexible chew toy helps with puppy teething while cleaning teeth and freshening breath
- Keeps puppies busy and helps prevent destructive chewing
- Delicious beef-flavored puppy toy
- Chew toy for puppies up to 15 pounds
Nylabone is made perfectly to stimulate your puppy’s chewing needs safely.
- Flexible chew
- Has ridges and nubs to massage the gums
- Is beef-flavored in and out
Your puppy will love this four bone pointed flexible chew toy. The ridges and nubs shaped on to the chew toy massages your puppy’s gums to help alleviate any pain and get those stubborn to fall baby teeth out easier.
You will be sure that your puppy will have strong and healthy adult teeth thanks to actively using this toy. No more bored puppy destroying your valuables just for amusement or to help their teething needs.
No need to worry about your puppy getting bored with this toy as it has a delicious beef flavor throughout to keep your puppy entertained with the toy longer.
- Can be frozen to help alleviate swollen gums
- Puppy specific chew only for puppies up to 15lbs.
- Not meant to be eaten so needs to be removed if large pieces are chewed off
Relieving your puppy’s teething issues can be easily resolved with the right chew toy and Nylabone delivers.
- DURABLE TREAT-DISPENSING DOG TOY: Orbee-Tuff Planet Balls are a durable dog fetch and chew toy that rewards your dog with tasty treats as they play. Just stuff your pup's favorite treats through the hole and roll to let the fun begin!
- INTERACTIVE & SOLO FUN: The Orbee-Tuff Planet Ball dog toy is made to withstand multiple play and chew sessions whether your pup plays alone, with other pups, or with you.
- MADE IN USA: Orbee-Tuff Planet Balls are made from TPE rubber that is BPA, lead, and phthalate-free. Infused with natural mint oil, this bouncy dog toy will also freshen your pup's breath as they chew.
- MULTIPLE SIZES & COLORS: Orbee-Tuff Planet Balls are available in small, medium, and large sizes. Colors include orange glow-in-the-dark, blue/green, and royal blue. Royal blue is made from one solid piece of rubber specifically for tough chewers.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
For the puppies who love to chase bouncing balls, Planet-Dog Orbee-Tuff will satisfy those hyper moments of the day.
- Come in Blue/Green, Glow/Orange, and Pink/Blue
- Non-toxic material
- Comes in three different sizes: small, medium, and large
- 100% Lifetime guarantee
This cute and bouncy Earth inspired dog chew toy is great for dogs of all ages. Your puppy will enjoy chasing after the toy and bringing it back to you for some fun-filled bonding time.
This ball isn’t limited to being used on just the ground as it also floats to help your puppy learn that the water can be fun and not just for bath times.
It also has a natural mint oil infused into the rubber for an attractive taste and to help keep your puppy’s breath fresh.
In case your puppy was to destroy the ball you can exchange it for a new ball free of charge thanks to the lifetime guarantee.
- Dishwasher safe
- A pleasing texture that keeps the puppy’s attention
- Might not last as long with larger tough chewing dogs and puppies
Your puppy’s tail will keep on wagging as they play with their new favorite chew toy – the Orbee-Tuff.
- HOLDS WIDE VARIETY OF TREATS: The two halves are adjustable to hold small treats and kibble; fill with hard, soft and smearable treats
- REWARD AND CHALLENGE TOY: Twist the halves far apart to dispense a quick treat or twist closer together for a tougher challenge to keep your pet playing longer
- INTERACTIVE TREAT DISPENSER: Our patented Treat Meter dispenses treats randomly while your dog plays with the toy; trim the prongs to make dry treats come out faster
- EASY TO USE: The two pieces twist together to hold your dog's favorite food or treats
- SAFE FOR YOUR PET: For soft to medium chewers; made of safe, non-toxic materials
PetSafe Busy Buddy provides the ultimate in being a durable chew toy and mind-stimulating treat holder.
- Comes in three sizes: x-small, small, and medium
- Can be filled with treats
- Easily adjustable challenge levels
To make sure that your puppy only chews on this toy and not your valuables stuff it with treats, dry food, and even wet food to provide diversity and keep your puppy’s attention on the toy.
Depending on your puppy’s needs you can twist the two sides of this toy to allow for treats to come out easier or harder.
This toy is ideal for puppies up to six months which is about the time when they should have their adult teeth in and are ready for tougher adult dog toys.
- Dishwasher safe
- Gentle on puppy’s teeth without hurting or straining them
- No size available for larger dogs
- Has a tendency to spill small treats out in large quantities
Watch as your puppy tries to figure out how to get their favorite treats out of their PetSafe Busy Buddy while keeping them safe and out of trouble.
- ✦Make your puppy happy to chew & play, with his bone toy he will never feel lonely.
- ✦Safe to chew: our bones are made of food grade nylon, not rubber.
- ✦Keep his teeth healthy, let him chew and enjoy the bacon flavor taste of his new toy.
- ✦Remark: we love our dogs as well as you do. Our bones are durable, but not indestructible, for aggressive chewers replace it every 6 months.
- ✦Wonderful Holiday Present and Christmas Gift for your pet,dogs and puppy!
Finding the best chew bones for puppies is as easy as buying the Oneisall.
- Comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large
- Promotes dental health
- Has a bacon flavor to it
Not only are you getting a long-lasting chew that helps stimulate and entertain your puppy, but you are also getting a built-in toothbrush.
The more your puppy chews the more they will have reduced plaque and tartar buildup on their teeth for healthier adult teeth. The infused bacon flavor keeps your puppy’s focus on the toy and not on your valuables.
It can also be used for training as a positive reinforcement tool for when your puppy behaves properly or performs a command correctly.
Get creative with this toy and keep it with your puppy forever thanks to the various sizes.
- Helps your puppy develop a positive chewing habit
- Can be frozen for an extra soothing effect on irritated gums
- Has a strong odor when first opened
- Not durable against stronger chewing dog breeds
The appealing taste and texture of the Oneisall will keep your puppy entertained for hours at a time.
- INTERACTIVE FUN: Designed for playing tug of war with dogs, this knotted rope dog toy is perfect for tossing, catching and pulling during interactive play, or as a dog chew toy for solo play time.
- SAFE & NON-TOXIC: Made from premium North American Cotton-Poly yarns finished with sturdy knots, these Mammoth colorful dog pull toys are safe, durable and tough toys for dogs.
- TOSS, TUG, FLOSS!: This dog chew toy is great for easy dog teeth cleaning, naturally supporting your pup’s oral health - the fibers in the tugs floss dogs’ teeth as they chew and play.
- MEDIUM DOG TUG TOY: Great for medium size dogs, this is a Medium 20-Inch tug toy for dogs weighing 30-50lbs. We recommend choosing larger dog toys for aggressive chewers or for heavier dogs.
- MAMMOTH PET PRODUCTS: Your pets deserve the best! Mammoth Pet Products has been a leading innovator and manufacturer of premium dog toys for all breeds and sizes since 1995.
If your puppy tends to prefer rope toys, then they will love the Mammoth Flossy Chews.
- Made of a cotton-blend material
- Can be used as a safe floss for puppies
With the different sizes, Mammoth makes their rope toys you can switch out the toy as your puppy grows so they will not have to lose their favorite rope toy.
Knots on the ends and in the middle of the toy provide a stimulating experience that helps soothe the puppy’s need to chew. The cotton-blend fibers are safely colored so you will not have to worry about giving your puppy a toy made with harmful dyes.
The loose strings at the ends act as floss for your puppy’s teeth to keep them clean during playtime. Your puppy will love to tug and toss this toy around.
- Provides a fun and interactive bonding experience for you and your puppy
- The separated strands of string could cause stomach issues if ingested
Let your puppy grab one end and you grab the other of the Mammoth Flossy Rope to start a fun and bonding game of tug-of-war with your puppy.
- DURABLE, LONG-LASTING – Super chewer? Bring it on. Benebones are tougher than real bones and last for weeks.
- REAL CHICKEN! – We infused 100% REAL CHICKEN for flavor. It tastes like chicken because it’s actually made with chicken.
- EASY TO PICK UP AND CHEW – The Wishbone is curved for a paw-friendly grip so your pup can quickly grab it and get a good chew going. Think about it: dogs don’t have thumbs.
- USA Made – We make and source everything in the USA.
- HAPPINESS, GUARANTEED – Have an issue? Want to chat? Reach out to us directly and you’ll get a real person whose sole job is to make you and your pup happy.
To keep your puppy entertained longer just give them the Benebone for that interactive fun.
- Comes in three different sizes: small, medium, and large
- Comes in four different flavors: bacon, chicken, mint, and peanut
- Dog-Friendly Design
Benebone infuses 100% real food flavor into their toys for an irresistible flavor and scent that will drive your puppy nuts and encourage them to chew this toy happily.
The shape of the toy makes it easy for your puppy to hold the toy between their paws. The patented ridges promote positive dental health and help ease the pain of your puppy’s adult teeth coming in.
- Can help keep your puppy from begging for human food thanks to the infused flavor
- The toys are made from ingredients only sourced in the USA
- Not an edible toy and must be taken away if large pieces are taken off
- Made in a facility that processes peanuts so it has an allergy warning
Give your puppy a diversely flavored Benebone that will hold their attention longer and keep them away from chewing your valuables.
JW Pet Company iSqueak
- HEAVY DUTY RUBBER TOY: This squeaky dog bone toy is ideal for small to medium dog breeds, withstanding tough chewers for long-lasting use & play. Infused with vanilla extract that dog's love!
- FUN WITH FETCH: This washable rubber bone toy for small dogs features a long-winded squeaker that keeps pups engaged. Great size and shape for toss and fetch outdoors.
- PET TOYS: Get ready for bonding & fun with your dogs & cats! Check out a variety of our pet toy products such as frisbees, perches & mirrors for birds, prey wand toys for cats, plush toys, light-up interactive toys & more.
- JW: JW pet products design intricate toys for dogs, cats & birds to keep your pet entertained. Checkout JW products for mirror bird toys, perches for birds, play gym & rope toys, dog treat toys, catnip toys, interactive toys, & more!
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
If you don’t mind a bit of squeaking around the house, give your active puppy the JW Pet Company iSqueak.
- Made of natural rubber
- Comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large
- Comes in three colors: green, blue, and red
- Fun squeaking design
Puppies are easily amused and distracted by new and interesting sounds. That is especially true for squeaky toys.
Once your puppy learns how to make this bone chew squeak they will not want to let it go. But don’t worry about them destroying the toy instantly as JW makes all of their squeaky toys with rugged natural rubber for a longer-lasting, tougher chew toy.
The rubber is easy on their puppy teeth for a soothing sensation that alleviates the pain of teething. To make sure your puppy keeps going back to the toy the bone is infused with vanilla extract for an appealing and long-lasting taste.
- Can be easily placed in the dishwasher
- Is fade-resistant even with constant use
- Not meant for puppies or adult dogs with a high chewing power
A little bit of squeaking with the JW Pet Company is easy to ignore if it means a happy and entertained puppy.
Crunching Water Bottle
- WATER BOTTLE ALTERNATIVE DOG CHEW TOY: The Crunchcore Bone from Petstages was created as a safer choice for dogs that love the crunchy texture and sound of water bottles.
- TRIPLE LAYERS WON'T COLLAPSE WHILE CHEWING: Unlike plastic water bottles, Crunchcore dog toys were made for dogs to chew on with a triple layered design to extend the longevity while playing and chomping. Not suitable for extreme chewers.
- REDUCES DESTRUCTIVE CHEWING: Redirect your dog away from your personal belongings with an appropriate, crunchy chew toy they won't be able to resist!
- AVAILABLE IN MULTIPLE SIZES: Suitable for dogs of all sizes and breeds, Crunchcore dog chew toys come in a range of sizes.
- PLAY IT SAFE: No toy is indestructible. Do not leave toys with unsupervised pets. Remove and replace toy if damaged.
If you noticed that your puppy is fascinated by the sound of plastic bottles crackling then they will love the Petstages.
- Comes in four sizes: mini, small, medium, and large
- Made of a soft rubber
- The inner core makes the appealing crunchy sound
Dogs and puppies alike love the sound plastic bottles make, but they are not exactly safe for dogs as they can swallow the small parts and cause stomach issues.
Petstages gives your dog that satisfying crunchy sound with their Chrunchcore chew. The inner core is what makes the appealing crunching sound puppies love.
It is durable and keeps its shape even with constant use. The outer rubber layer is soft on your puppy’s smaller teeth and helps make teething easier.
- Provides a long-lasting chew for light chewing dog breeds
- Keeps your puppy entertained with the noise and texture
- There is no size available for larger breed dogs
- Not durable against power chewing dogs
It doesn’t take much to entertain your puppy, but you still want to be sure that they will stay entertained with their toy and the noisier the toy the better as is the case with the Petstages.
Bacon Scented Bone
- Fun to throw and bounce
- It even floats
- Emphasizes outdoor play
- Blue and green color
Give your puppy a long-lasting chew that will keep them entertained for hours, like the Hartz Dura.
- Made of durable rubber
- Comes in various colors: orange, green, pink, blue, and purple
Puppies don’t have to be limited to just playing indoors. The best thing about owning a puppy is watching them explore and discover their new world. If they can bring their toy along with them then that makes it better.
This toy encourages your dog to play outside as its durable rubber can be easily cleaned and even floats to help show then water can be fun.
When your puppy plays indoors this toy stimulates proper dental health through consistent chewing. And with the infused bacon flavor they won’t want to let it go.
- Can be used for indoor and outdoor play
- Can be thrown like a ball or used as a chew toy
- Not durable for power chewing dogs
- Meant for medium-sized dogs and smaller
Hartz Dura Play is a diverse toy that will satisfy your puppy’s need to chew while also being a fun toy to simply play with.
Fido Puppy's FirstBone
- Fido --- Made in the USA!
- Puppy's First Bone *** Blue*** Flexible Dental Chew & Teether Bone
- Ideal for teething puppies with baby teeth!
- Helps remove plaque and massage gums
- Not Designed for Overly Aggressive Chewers.
Giving your puppy their first toy can be exciting for both you and your puppy, and Fido Puppy’s FirstBone is one of the best toys to start your puppy on.
- Comes in one size
- Beef flavored
- Promotes dental health
For young puppies starting their adventure in teething this vet tested and approved chew toy will help. The raised ridges massage the gums and ease the pain of losing baby teeth and having their adult teeth coming in.
Its curved shape is easy for your puppy to hold between their paws and gives fun options for your puppy on what angle to tackle their new toy.
The slow-release beef flavor keeps your puppy entertained as the appealing taste will last longer with each chewing session.
- Help reduce stress if crate training
- Can be used as a training tool to promote positive habits
- The sizes available are only for small and medium-sized dogs
It might take a bit for your puppy to understand what the Fido is for, but once they do you will smile while you watch them play.
Good chew toys for puppies are vital for growing puppies to ensure healthy teeth development and to keep them out of mischief. Which toy that will catch your puppy’s attention will take some trial and error, depending on your puppy’s chewing strength and their toy preferences.
When Do Puppies Start Teething?
Puppies start teething around four months of age. At this age, their baby teeth start falling out as their adult teeth start coming in. Like how uncomfortable it was for us to have our adult teeth come in when we were kids, puppies feel that as well.
Unlike us, though, puppies will want to chew anything in sight to help alleviate the pain of their adult teeth coming in. The terrible teething phase will pass, though, when puppies reach seven months of age when they will have all of their adult teeth.
Features to Look for in Teething Toys
Puppy teething toys come in all shapes, materials, and styles, so you have a variety of toys to choose from and spoil your puppy with. Here are some features to look out for when picking the right toy.
Safe chewing toys for dogs come as soft fabric toys, rubber toys, plastic toys, nylon toys, rope toys, and even plush toys.
The fabric toys and plush toys are the softer versions of chew toys that squeak and are filled with stuffing.
Rope toys are knotted, thick strands of rope that can also work as floss for your puppy’s teeth to help keep them clean.
Rubber toys are one of the more durable chew toys that sometimes comes with an opening to stuff treats into for an extra fun feature.
Nylon and plastic toys are another of the tougher chew toys that can keep up with consistent chewing habits.
Chew toys are not meant to be ingested, so you will have to always monitor your puppy and remove the toy if you see them destroy it and start eating it.
There is no such thing as a chew proof puppy toy, unfortunately, but there are toys that are durable against consistent chewing. When it comes to choosing the toughness level of chew toys for your puppy it really matters on your puppy’s size and chewing habits.
Say you have a Pomeranian puppy; since it’s a fairly small dog, a rope toy or fabric toy would work well for them as they do not have a high chewing strength.
But if you have a Pitbull puppy, who has a tougher chewing strength, then you will need a rubber or nylon toy to keep up with their high chewing strength that soft toys would be destroyed by in minutes. But every dog is different, and you should know your puppy best and which chew toy would better fit their chewing habit.
Shapes & Sizes
Chew toys can come in all shapes from balls, bones, and even well-known characters. If your puppy loves to chase after their toys then they will love a bouncing rubber ball to chase, chew, and help bring their energy down.
But if they’re a calmer, laid back chewer then they will love a bone to hold between their paws and chew. Some fabric chew toys even come as well-known characters like dinosaurs and television characters. For these plush toys, your puppy will not really care about the character but they’re more for you to enjoy sharing your interests with your new puppy.
The sizes also vary depending on the size of your puppy. There are extra small, small, medium, large, and extra-large chew toys available to fit the size of your puppy. Puppies of all shapes and sizes will have an open range of choosing from near every chew toy that’s available with no bias due to their sizes.
The varying sizes are also ideal for keeping up with your puppy’s growth. If your puppy happens to love a particular toy and that toy comes in all sizes then you’d be able to easily swap the toy out with the next size up as your puppy grows. In that way, they will not lose their favorite toy.
Flavored toys are amazing in catching your puppy’s attention. Chew toys without flavors may be fun for a while for the puppy, but they can quickly grow bored with the toys and want to find something else to chew. The incorporated flavor catches their attention and encourages them to chew the toy longer and not something random.
What to Avoid
Since puppies are still young and their body developing you want to avoid any toys and chews that could potentially harm them. The toys to avoid are animal bones and rawhides. Animal bones might seem durable, but the pieces that can break off can potentially become choking hazards for your puppy and can upset their sensitive stomachs.
Rawhide chews are also a choking hazard risk for your puppy and also have a tendency to grow in the stomach of your puppy, which can cause a blockage and could lead to a hefty vet bill in order to help your puppy.
Ways to Keep Puppies Engaged & Entertained
Puppies can get easily distracted when they play since they do not yet know everything about the world. Anything new to a puppy can pull them away from their safe chewing toy to try and chew on something not meant for them.
To keep your puppy engaged with their toy use positive reinforcement. If you see your puppy playing with their toy, show them they are doing good by playing with them or giving them a treat.
The best way to keep your puppy entertained with their toy is to hide treats in them, if possible. This both keeps them entertained and their mind stimulated as they try to figure out how to get the treats out the toy.
Experiencing a growing puppy is one of life’s little treats. Their chewing habits are not a little treat, though, and can be a bit of a burden. The best toys for puppies are teething chew toys. As we have said, there are various chew toys available to satisfy every puppies’ needs. Your puppy will need a variety of chew toys as each day is different.
Some days they might not need to chew as much, but other days they may be losing a tooth and will chew anything and everything to get it out.
Be patient with their teething needs, it only lasts a few months, and once it passes you will not have to worry about your puppy getting into your things and tearing them apart. It can be a fun bonding experience for the both of you as you play together and grow together.