The dachshund is a truly special dog.
Despite being vertically challenged the dachshund is a big dog – at least he believes he is.
Full of character, intelligent, and loyal to a fault these much-beloved canines are loved and adored by those who truly understand what makes them so special.
However, that doggy long wheelbase with a spine that’s out of proportion to the leg length makes for back problems.
Top 8 Best Harnesses for Dachshunds
The brave doxie is a martyr to slipped discs, which means choosing the best harness for dachshunds an absolute must.
How a Harness can Reduce Health Hazards
Think of a wide river spanned by a long bridge.
Let’s say there are two supports, one on either shore.
What’s going to happen at the center of the bridge?
The likelihood is that the long length of the bridge makes it sag in the middle.
This is down to the length of the bridge and that its supports are at the extreme ends.
Remind you of anything?
Yes, the dachshund’s long back with short legs at either end makes for a lot of strain on the spine.
There are forces applied to the shock absorbers (discs) between individual back bones (vertebrae) which are never meant to happen.
This squeezes the discs and increases the risk of them slipping out of position to put pressure on the spinal cord.
This is what’s known as a slipped disc.
So how does a harness help?
When a doxie wears a collar and he pulls, this conducts force along the back and amplifies the pressure squeezing the backbones together.
This increases the risk of a slipped disc.
Much better is a harness, which spreads the forces more evenly over the chest area, and better supports the spine.
The other option is to train the perfectly obedient dachshund, who never pulls on the leash!
Perhaps a harness is a more realistic option.
OK, so not every dachshund is an action hero…well, there has to be someone who stays home and watches the movies, right?
If your doxie is more princess than an adventurer, then the best dog harness for your dachshund is the Puppia Soft.
Why just the name makes you feel quite sleepy, it sounds so comfortable.
This is a reasonably priced harness that majors on comfort.
In fact, it fits more like a piece of clothing than a harness.
It’s made from polyester mesh (easily washable) that is soft and breathable for optimum comfort.
Even better, there’s a layer of padding between the mesh and the dog, so it’s almost a bit like being hugged by a thin duvet.
Hmm, sounds nice.
Another great feature, especially for the dachshund whose precious about appearances, is that you can choose from a gorgeous rainbow of different colors.
From a mouth-watering turquoise to true girly pick, earth mother green, and dark & dangerous black, there’s a color to suit every preference and coat color.
Puppia is well-known for its puppy-wear and has brought all its expertise to bear in creating a well-made, comfortable harness.
They also provide clear instruction on how to measure your pup so that you order the correct size.
Indeed, pre-measuring your dog is important because the vest-like construction of the product means there’s little room for adjustment post-purchase should you get the wrong size.
Pet parents love this harness, with the biggest stumbling block being the sizing.
Some owners ordered based on words like small, medium, or large, without measuring their dog.
They got tripped up.
The clue is in the brand’s name “Puppia” – meaning puppy.
What’s large for a Puppia is tiny for a regular brand.
These guys specialize in products for smaller breeds.
This is great because it means if your four-leggers are pint-sized you have a wide range of sizes to choose from.
However, the unwary buyer who goes with their gut instinct about sizing is going to find their dog in a bit of a bind when the product pops through the letterbox.
Measure your dog before ordering.
In case you’re wondering, the X-fit refers to the shape and how the dog wears it, rather than exercise or fitness.
Just a bit of reassurance there is your dog is more inclined to stroll that lift weights.
This is another nice, simple harness which is super-comfortable to wear.
What’s different about this one is the way the fabric straps are arranged in an X-shape (almost a figure-of-eight actually) through which the legs slot.
It has a micro-suede trim and uses synthetic sheepskin strapping for extra comfort.
It comes in a pleasing array of colors from black through brights to fashion colors.
We particularly liked how this was a light-weight harness which works by spreading the force of pulling over the dog’s brisket.
It’s also quite an ‘open’ harness meaning that it leaves quite a lot of the dog un-covered, which is ideal for baking hot weather.
Fully adjustable, this harness ticks a lot of boxes…except for two.
Again, sizing is an issue for some.
The wise pet parent plans ahead and measures their dog ahead of ordering.
The size you order might not necessarily be the one you’d assume the dog needs.
In addition, and most seriously, this harness isn’t suitable for escape artists.
If your dog is good at wriggling out of restrains, then pass this Gooby X-Fit one by.
It isn’t worth the risk of having an escapee if your dog is a flight risk.
The Sporn YUP is a mesh harness that stretches with the dog for comfortable control.
It’s lightweight, which is great for the doxie, and the mesh is breathable.
It’s designed as a no pulling harness.
Unlike other harnesses, this one sharply divides opinion.
There are pet parents who are awed by the product, and use descriptions such as the best harness they’ve ever used after years of dog ownership, whilst others describe it as junk!
What can safely be said is that it is comfortable, sturdy, and practically escape-proof.
After that, opinions differ.
The Sporn YUP is definitely worth investigating but it isn’t for everyone.
Oh yes, a couple of glitches – It only comes in one size “Medium” which spookily fits a good-sized dachsie.
It also only comes in one colorway, which is black with red trim.
Smart, but not pretty.
The right harness should not be hard to find, especially when you want to be able to take your Dachshund with you in comfort. Pawtitas is made so that dogs of any shape and size can enjoy the harness’ comfort on their bodies.
This harness is made of a soft mesh material that does not irritate the skin when it rubs up against your dog.
For dogs who tend to have sensitive skin, like Dachshunds, it is essential that they do not wear any harnesses that could make their skin red from irritation; walks should be fun, not a hassle or discomfort for both dog and owner.
Dogs with smaller legs may find it hard to lift their legs to slip into a harness. Pawtitas understands that, which is why they ergonomically designed their harnesses to be easy for any dog to use.
With the step in design, your dog can easily walk into the harness and have it secured to them with the durable back buckle; they will look like they are wearing an adorable vest.
Two D-rings on the back of the harness are meant for leashes to be clipped on. The reason there are two is so that, if your dog pulls, the strain they put is evenly distributed on their body instead of being directed to one side.
If you tend to prefer walking at night, then this harness can make that experience safer for you and your dog. Reflective material is woven into the body of the harness so that your dog will be seen from a distance by drivers or other pedestrians; the safe your dog is the more enjoyable their walks will be.
The Pawtitas is specifically made with small dogs in mind so you should have no trouble finding the size for your pup, and with nine different colors to choose from your dog will be just as fashionable as you are.
$29.99 in stock
- THE ULTIMATE ADVENTURE DOG HARNESS – A dog vest harness active lifestyles: go together for an easy walk, run / running, hiking, swimming or camping. Great for sport & enjoying outdoor freedom. Each harness has a built-in a handle, which allows you to assist or help control your dog
- HIGHLY ADJUSTABLE & EASY ON AND OFF – Longer straps with extra adjustment space help you find a snug fit for your dogs / puppy. Our small dog harness typically fits a small breed like a Beagle, both male and female. When adjusted simply slip over your dog’s head and clip the buckles
- HEAVY DUTY & EXTRA DURABLE – Made from strong military-grade nylon that exceeds the national pulling strength guidelines by at least 130 LBS! Since the first version of this harness, we’ve reinforced and tripled the strength of the front metal D-Ring and buckles for increased safety & durability
- ALLOWS SAFE NO PULL TRAINING – The position of the back leash attachment and soft padding around the neck help protect your dog’s trachea from strong pulling, while the front leash attachment can be used to teach your canine to heel and stop pulling
- SUPER COMFORTABLE & STYLISH – Our lightweight materials with reflective trim look stunning and help your furry friend move freely without rubbing or discomfort. If you’re not completely satisfied with the look, feel and quality of our harness we’ll replace it or give you a full refund! Please see size chart for exact measurments
The dachshund’s lack of height does not make him a slouch.
Dachshunds are capable of hiking, trekking, or walking with the best of them…although admittedly perhaps not as far….but there again they’re a good size to pop in a doggy backpack, but that’s a different story.
Take one look at the Embark active and what does it say to you?
Just look at the wide padded chest plate and back piece.
However, your dog decides to pull it’s like cinching a Thundershirt tighter.
This is a hug of a harness but highly functional to boot.
Let’s tick off what makes it the best harness for a dachshund by ticking some boxes.
Firstly, it’s easy to put on and take off.
Simply slide the neck over the dog’s head and buckle him in round the chest.
It comes in a range of sizes suitable for small dogs, and each size is fully adjustable around the girth and neck for optimum fit.
The harness is sewn with safety in mind.
Indeed, it is unique in that it is safety sewn four-times using military-grade thread.
So even the most determined tugger isn’t going to get out of this one.
The Embark active also has two leash attachment points: One at the front which acts as a no-pull point and the other over the back.
And then to top it all off Embark offers a money-back guarantee if you aren’t completely delighted with your purchase.
As for pet parents who used this harness – their voices are raised in universal praise.
They love it!
They cite the quality construction, comfort fit, and ability to stop pulling as just some of the reasons they think it’s awesome!
Comfort Fit Metric
- PLEASE MEASURE YOUR DOG’S CHEST, JUST BEHIND THE FRONT LEGS AND SELECT THE SIZE. Unlike Dog Collars, Harnesses fit best when matched to the Chest measurement, just behind the front legs. IF YOUR DOG IS IN BETWEEN SIZES, PLEASE SIZE UP
- STRUGGLE WITH YOUR DOG COLLAR? We have a SOFT, COMFORTABLE Easy to Put on and Take off Soft Dog Harnesses with a Quick release clip
- HAVE AN ESCAPE ARTIST OF A DOG? Our pet harness has Two Reinforced D-rings that locks securely on to your leash. Easy to Care, Incredibly lightweight.
- PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE OUR COMFORT FIT HARNESS BASED ON THE SIZE OF ANOTHER BRAND
Top of the class for this Comfort Fit Metric.
This dog has a unique design which is so simple that you wonder why no has thought of it sooner.
This is a one piece-harness that literally wraps around the dog’s chest with two holes for putting the legs through. (For the ladies out there, it’s a bit like putting a bra on – only easier!
Fitting it to the dog is simply a matter of slotting each front leg through a hole and then velcroing two straps together over the back.
But even cleverer than that, once the harness is on, you snip together a buckle and strap for extra security.
Your dog is already wearing the harness, but you have added safety in case the dog pulls.
The actual fabric of the harness is soft, strong, and incredibly light.
This makes it extremely comfortable for the dog to wear.
Many owners of dogs who previously hated their harness, fell in love with the comfort of the aptly named Comfort Fit.
However, amongst the praise, there is the odd voice of criticism.
People did find the sizing somewhat erratic, with one owner who ordered two small-sized harnesses in different colors, found they came up as quite different sizes.
Another problem was the failure of stitching around the arms and neck, for one dog that was a seasoned puller.
The good news here was that the dog wasn’t chaffed or rubbed whilst doing the pulling!
Another feature that puzzled us a little was the placement of the D-rings for leash attachment.
There are two D-rings, which the manufacturer cites as an extra feature for those dogs that regularly escape from a harness.
However, we found this a little odd.
Unless we’re missing something, there is no centrally placed D-ring, which means the leash is always attached off-center.
Odd. Very odd, but still the Comfort Fit Metric is an excellent choice.
- 【Superior Quality】➊ Made of two layers of thick polyester fabric,super durable and comfortable. ➋ Reinforced box-stitching adds durability. ➌ Heavy duty hardware is highly resistant to wear or rust,this dog harness and leash set is surely strong enough to easily control your naughty dogs,your best choice.
- 【Adjustable】➊ Simply moving the 2 adjustable points to make a quick fit for your dogs.4 size to meet both large breeds and small puppies. ➋ 8 unique pattern make your dog more cute and stand out from crowd,dogs must to enjoy wearing this personalized set.Please measure your dog’s neck and chest,check the size chart to choose the correct size before purchase.
- 【Perfect Details】➊ Quick release ABS plastic buckle for easy putting on and taking off. ➋Two sturdy metal D-rings for attaching leash and name tag.➌ The zinc alloy clasp of leash can rotate 360 degrees freely,keep the 5ft leash away from tangling.
- 【Multi-applied】Suitable for walking,training,running,hiking camping,traveling etc.Yard,outdoor and car are applicable. Teddy, chihuahua, miniature pinscher, schnauzer, samo, husky, golden retriever, german shepherd, rottweiler, alaska and other dogs will all love this dog harness leash set, don’t hesitate, it must be the surprise of your best friend.
- 【100% Satisfaction Guaranteed】We also have furry friends,and we still want to get the best products for our cute pet,so we created the dog harness and leash with the comfort and durability in mind.We promise 100% risk-free purchasing,If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
The QQPETS is made of two layers of thick polyester, so it is both durable and soft on your dog’s body. For extra durability, the harness has reinforced box stitching. A quick-release ABS plastic buckle is easy to take on and off, but your dog should not be able to open the buckle.
Two sturdy metal D-rings on the harness are for attaching a leash. The zinc alloy clasp of the leash can rotate 360 degrees freely so that you can avoid getting tangled with your dog while on a walk.
You won’t have to worry about wear and tear through multiple uses as the harness is resistant to rust and overall strain, in case your dog is a puller.
You can easily adjust the size of the harness by moving the two adjustable points on the sides of the harness. There are four size options you can pick from so you will be sure to find the right size for your Dachshund. Just be sure that you accurately measure their neck and chest size to purchase the correct size.
You can use this harness for all types of activities. You can take your dog on a casual walk, take them for a hiking trip, and even take them to the beach. Anywhere that your dog can go this harness can as well, and you will not have to worry about the harness getting damaged thanks to its sturdy and durable structure.
QQPets makes all of its products with the best intentions for your pets. But, if you feel like this harness was not the right one for your little Dachshund, then you can return it thanks to the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
With eight fun patterns to choose from you may end up buying more than one QQPETS, so your dog is ready for any occasion, anytime.
2 used from $11.95
- We provide free replacements for any sizing issues no questions asked. Please reach out to us directly and we will be happy to help.
- Small Size , Chest size S 17-22 Inches, Neck Size: 14-17.5 Inches Weight 20-39 Lbs. Please Note that Weights and Measurements are Approximate. If you are Unsure of the Size You Need Please Contact Us and We Will Be Happy to Help.
- Clips Around Both Your Pets Neck and Chest Allowing for The Harness To Be Both Easily Applied and Taken Off With ease
- COMFORTABLE SPONGE FILLED ANTI PULL effect dog harness for your best friend: no stress on dog’s neck, no choke, ideal solution for dogs that pull with sponge filling comfortable and luxurious, perfectly designed for easy walking, jogging, running, hiking or even training
- The Extra Handle on Top of This Harness Makes it Easier to Control and Walk Hard Pulling and Elderly Dogs
Dachshunds have a particular body type that can make it hard to find the right style of harness for their bodies.
You don’t want something that will irritate their skin, but you also don’t want one made of too light a material that they can slip out. The Copatchy secures around your dog’s chest and stomach while leaving their legs free for better mobility.
It also makes it easier for you to place and remove the harness on your dog quickly.
It is made of a comfortable sponge, so it does not strain your dog’s neck and body. Due to its shape, it will not choke your dog. If your pup does pull it evenly spreads the tension to your dog’s body so that they are comfortable during their walk. Your dog can easily walk, run, jog, hike, and train with no extra strain on your dog.
A D-Ring on the back makes it easy to clip a leash of your preference onto your dog. As well, if you need to grab your dog quickly, there is a handy, soft, and durable handle on the back of the harness.
The harness is not meant to carry your dog, but instead, it acts as an extra precaution if you need to grab your dog in a pinch.
The Copatchy is available in a variety of sizes so any dog can enjoy its comfort. It also comes in five fun colors so you can pick your favorite color or the best color that goes with your dog’s fur.
So there we have our romp through the best harness for a dachshund.
Hopefully, you have turned away from the dark side and thrown away your dachshund’s collar and instead have become a harness convert.
Spreading the forces of a pulling dog over the brisket, goes a long way to protecting those delicate backs.
Of course, this doesn’t mean that a dachshund is never going to slip a disc (the risk is always there) but at least you’re taking positive steps to minimize that risk.
When choosing a harness, bear in mind factors such as how wriggly the dog is, how much of an escape artist they are, how hot it is where you live, and whether your pup is a fashionista or not.
Draw all these factors together then measure your dog to be sure of accurate sizing.
Do all these things and you can’t go far wrong.
Then for extra peace of mind, look for a manufacturer who offers a money-back guarantee.
That way, if you are underwhelmed by your purchase they will accept it back.
There are few things sweeter in this world than making a risk-free purchase, especially if your dog then falls in love with the product.
That way you both you and the dog can be completely happy with the purchase.
Happy walks, doxie people.
Top 8 Best Harnesses for Dachshunds
Discover the top 8 of the Best Dog Harnesses for Dachshunds. Find out which harness will best suit your dog's situation!
- Embark Active
- Puppia Soft
- Comfort Fit Metric
- Gooby X-Fit
- Sporn YUP!