The Chihuahua is a delightful dog, not least because that pint-size body contains a whole heap of character.
Although they are well known for their strong-mindedness, it should not be overlooked that they are physically small and delicate.
This means collars and choke chains stand a greater chance of damaging their delicate windpipe, especially when used inappropriately.
For walks and training using the best harness for a Chihuahua is essential.
Top 8 Best Harnesses for Chihuahua
This gives you a safe way of keeping your dog under control.
This is because when the dog pulls, the force of the tugging is spread over his entire chest, shoulders, and back, rather than just the throat area.
One reason collars, especially choke collars, are popular with some owners, are because it restrains their dog around the throat, and encourages them to walk to heel.
However, for a small chap like the Chihuahua, it’s a very fine line between restraint and strangulation.
The fine nature of the Chihuahua’s bones and the thinness of the cartilage in the trachea (windpipe) make them more vulnerable to damage.
Add into this that ‘collapsing trachea’ is a common condition in Chihuahua and it becomes even more important not to put pressure on the area.
To understand this better, let’s take a brief look at the anatomy of the windpipe.
It is a tube, made up of ‘U’ shaped rings of cartilage that are bridged across the top with a ligament to holds the windpipe in a ‘pipe’ or ‘tube’ shape.
Collapsing trachea is the result of a combination of overly soft cartilage (which compresses easily) and a slack ligament (which allows the trachea to flatten or collapse).
Also, when the dog breathes in, instead of inhaling air through a rigid tube, the soft trachea sucks against itself and closes, cutting off the air supply to the lungs and causing the dog to collapse.
A problem to be avoided where possible.
And with the Chihuahua’s tendency to collapsing tracheas, a harness (rather than a collar) is a must when on the leash. Rather than inadvertently doing your dog harm, take the sensible option and use a harness.
Pawtitas’ harness is perfect for small or teacup-sized dogs of any breed. The shape fits perfectly with your dog so that it does not feel cumbersome for them to walk while wearing their harness.
The padded harness is comfortable for your dog as it does not irritate their skin while they walk nor does it get tangled up in their legs. Since it is a harness it will not cause strain on their neck and throat from pulling; it can help you leash train your pup by evenly distributing the force they use on to their body.
Not all dogs enjoy putting a harness on, so the step-in design is easier for you to put the harness on your dog as well as make it an enjoyable experience for your dog; they will soon start to recognize the harness as meaning it is time for a fun walk! If need be, you can adjust the size of the harness with the sliding adjuster on the side of the harness.
To ensure that your dog does not slip out of their harness make sure that the sturdy plastic buckle is secured. A metal D-ring on the back gives you an ideal place to clip on your dog’s leash where you will have better control over them and their movements.
If you are a fan of night walks, then this harness will help you out. A reflective strip is woven into the Pawtitas so it provides a light source on your dog so drivers and other pedestrians can see you and your pup on their walk. Walking can become an even more enjoyable experience for you and your Chihuahua!
Let’s not be size-ist about this: Even small dogs like to go hiking or enjoy a good walk…which is when you need a strong harness that’s comfortable and will keep them safe.
As the best harness for a Chihuahua, we picked this Kurgo product.
We were drawn by Kurgo’s reputation as a manufacturer of dog safety harnesses for car travel (another important aspect of keeping your dog safe.)
A product by a brand with their finger on the pulse of road traffic safety had to be worth looking at.
That said this is specifically a walking harness and not sold as a crash-tested travel harness.
There is a short strap that is designed to pass through a seatbelt to secure your dog in transit – but remember it has not been crash-tested so its effectiveness in a crash is not guaranteed.
However, the harness does come with the craftsmanship you expect from Kurgo and has a lifetime guarantee for parts and materials.
As to the actual harness itself, crucially it does not put pressure on the windpipe.
It’s also extremely flexible in terms of fit because it has five – yes, five – adjustment points.
There are also two D-rings to which to attach a leash: One on the dog’s back and one on the brisket which acts as a no-pull attachment point.
With the latter, when the dog pulls, his momentum turns him sideways, and with the benefit of pulling removed the dog tends to drop the habit.
On the downside, if we want to be picky, you can have any color you like – as long as it’s black!
It would be nice for the Kurgo Tru-Fit to come in bright colors to match the sparkling personality of the Chihuahua.
- Checkered frills around the neck with a ribbon as decoration
- Size S: neck girth 9.8 inches, chest size 12-18 inches. Chest size is adjustable.
- High quality, 100% polyester. Machine washable.
- To reducing tugging and pulling on your pup’s neck, and keep your dog safe and comfortable.
- Lace and plaid style makes your puppies prettier.
Your Chihuahua puppy is so small they fit in the palm of your hand, and this is exactly the right time to get your pup wearing a harness.
Start him young and he’ll think wearing a harness is completely normal, which is a great way to avoid a battle of wills later in life.
Of course, for a pup so tiny that albeit the teeniest of harnesses are going to dwarf him, which is why we love this EXPAWLORER product.
Fit-wise it comes in both small and extra small, and is suitable for even teacup breeds to wear.
Also, the harness is very soft and comfortable, which means the pup is going to be happy wearing it because it fits like a second skin.
The air mesh that makes up part of the harness is breathable yet durable, and indeed the whole harness can be machine washed (although hand washing is recommended.)
The harness is “X” shaped, with a soft, air mesh arm that slips over the neck, and a webbing strap that goes around the puppy’s girth.
This strap is adjustable, to ensure the perfect fit, and there’s a handy D-ring on the back to attach a leash.
We found that the sizing did indeed come up small…very small in fact.
If you have a tiny dog then go for the XS, but otherwise, think of going up a size.
However, the payback is that the design places no pressure on the throat and even those dogs prone to coughing can safely wear the EXPAWLORER.
One slight negative is that the harness can stretch or give after a little use, so again bear this in mind if your dog is between sizes.
The Original EcoBark
- SMALL DOG HARNESS: EcoBark Orange Pet Vest Harnesses for Toy Breed Dogs: VERY IMPORTANT TO MEASURE- Correct measurements ensure a no slip and no choke perfect fit harness for your important pet. Please Refer to our sizing chart to find the best harness for your puppy. Recommended Breeds: Small Dogs and Toy Breeds such as Yorkshire Terrier, Pomeranian, Papillion, Chihuahua, Toy Poodle, Klee Kai, Affenpinscher, and Bichon Frise
- NO PULL & NO CHOKE HARNESSES: Soft, gentle, breathable double layered mesh fabric made from non-toxic ROSH tested mesh fabric with durability built to last. Strong full body collar for daily walking, running, and hiking. Soft and extremely breathable light weight airflow for an enjoyable walking experience. Anti-rub technology with Custom Stitched Cover Designed to protect your pet from chaffing due to strap rubbing against the dog’s legs and chest for ultimate comfort and control innovation.
- ECO-FRIENDLY- Strong Ultra Padded Vests include Recycled Straps made from recycled water bottles. We use environmental friendly material that is highly durable designed to disperse the dog’s weight onto the chest to not choke the pet’s trachea. Tested Mesh Fabric is an all purpose and all weather ultra padded breathable harness for hot, rainy, or snowy days.
- SAFETY STANDARD: Our Vest Harness is escape proof when the dog has the correct sizing. These Harnesses are made to sit a bit higher than most dog harnesses, this ensures that it is harder for your puppy or dog to escape. Specially made to not constrict dogs trachea. The EcoBark Classic Harness incorporates the highest Standard of Specialized Safety Buckle, Custom built to ensure the highest level of strength and long-lasting safety.
- ANTI-RUB TECHNOLOGY & HYPOALLERGENIC PET SUPPLIES: Anti-rub harness technology with Custom Stitched Cover Designed to protect your pet from chaffing due to strap rubbing against the dog’s legs and chest for ultimate comfort and control innovation. Quick on and off over the head feature. Great for puppies and small dogs. We are an American family owned harness company, please contact with any questions or concerns.
If you missed out on the opportunity to get your adult dog used to a harness, don’t despair.
This super comfortable harness from EcoBark is so snuggly that even the most rebellious of dogs are happy to give it a go.
Ecobark describes its product as a luxuriously padded vest that fits exquisitely.
Getting the correct measurement for the neck is especially important because this has to slip over the dog’s head and it is none adjustable.
However, the payback when you get it right is a breathable mesh harness that molds itself to your dog’s shape.
There is a knack to finding the perfect fit which is to measure your dog before ordering!
Don’t assume that other brands use the same sizing and therefore order what fitted well in another manufacturer’s product.
Instead, measure around the base of the dog’s neck and the waist and then consult the EcoBark sizing chart.
Given the name “EcoBark” you’d expect this to be an ecologically sound product, and indeed it is, with fabric made from recycled plastic bottles.
The dog doesn’t want to take it off.
It’s also super easy to put on and take off and got full marks for the quality of the craftsmanship and the materials.
All in all, a most excellent harness and one to bear in mind if you have a dog who normally isn’t great with a harness.
The EcoBark could be just the product you’re looking for.
And oh yes, it comes in a rainbow of different colors to choose from. Nice!
Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested
- Crash tested Certified: Most broadly sold crash tested car harness for dogs enhanced strength Harness is crash tested for dogs up to 75 Pounds Tested at calspan’s Buffalo, NY crash test facility- test procedure for pet safety harness restraint systems, procedure developed at same facility that maintains Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard no. 213 for child restraint systems and conducts car seat performance tests for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Adjustable and comfortable everyday harness: great everything harness for everyday use Product is crash tested, includes NO-PULL D ring for effectively training dog not to pull by spinning dog around, has five adjustment points for customizable fit on dogs of all shapes and sizes, Includes dog tether for car, and broad, padded chest plate for extra protection and comfort that’s why it’s the most broadly sold crash tested dog Harness in North America
- Dog seat Belt tether included: dog tether (Seat Belt loop with attached carabiner) is included and compatible with any car seat belt system can also be used as lead for training
- Size and fit: Small fits dogs with neck 12-20 inches and chest 16-22 inches Please refer to Kurgo size chart for information on how to properly measure your dog
- Lifetime Warranty: Product includes hassle-free Kurgo lifetime Warranty against manufacturer defects when purchased new from authorized dealer. For questions, please contact Kurgo customer service for more information
Spare a thought for the safety of your Chihuahua in the car.
When not secured inside the car, in the event of a crash the dog will fly through the air resulting in a variety of nightmarish scenarios.
Indeed, don’t think for a moment that holding your dog on your lap is safe because in a smash the dog becomes your airbag. Not good.
For a small dog, you have several options to secure them, including booster seats, travel boxes, or a harness.
We love this Kurgo crash-tested product as the best harness for Chihuahua precisely because it has all the benefits of a harness, is safe in a crash, and you can use it to walk the dog.
So what about the construction of this harness?
There is a padded chest plate, which in the event of sudden deceleration (OK, a crash) spreads the forces over the dog’s chest rather than compressing the windpipe.
The webbing is made from materials used in human safety restraints and is indeed depended on by high-risk sportsmen such as mountain climbers to keep them safe.
But don’t take Kurgo’s word for it because they have the harness independently tested by a university testing facility that certifies children’s restraints.
The harness passed (this sounds obvious, but not all products claiming to be crash-tested are safe…some were tested but failed!)
Again, balancing the positive with the negative, the Kurgo crash-tested may not be the most comfortable to wear whilst exercising and it’s only available in black.
- Please measure your dog size before ordered , and check our size chart carefully to make sure you choose the right size for your lovey pets for a better fit.We suggest to order one size up !
- Material:High Quality PU Leather, Rhinestone
- Black color,Size XS:Width 1.3cm/0.5″-Chest 25-30cm/9.8-11.8″-Neck 15-19cm/5.9-7.4″
- A D-ring on the harness, easy and convenient for walking your dog.
- Send 1 Harness (Without Leash)
No one said we had to be dull and boring! Fed up with black?
Then put some sparkle in your life with the Doggyzstyle Rhinestone – it’s the bling every Chihuahua secretly craves.
What’s not to love about a pink harness studded with sparkle?
OK, not so great if you’re a male Chi so go with the blue or red instead!
Made from PU leather this inexpensive harness looks so cute you can’t help but smile.
It has a D-ring to which to attach a leash, and the size is adjustable via two buckles.
This harness is all about fun and looking good, so in reality, it’s a better choice for the carry-in-the-arms Chihuahua rather than a piece of equipment to go hiking in all day.
But heck, we all need stiletto shoes in our life and they aren’t necessarily practical in all situations.
Just bear in mind that this is an H shaped harness and the top loop does pass around the throat.
Again, if you know your Chihuahua has a collapsing trachea then, unfortunately, it’s best to cross the Doggyzstyle Rhinestone off the shopping list (a bit like having bunions and wanting to wear stilettos – sorry, but no dice.)
- ✅CHOOSE YOUR SIZE & STYLE – For detailed dimensions, please refer to the third picture, thank you. With three beautiful colors to pick from (Beige, Pink, Black) and four available sizes (Extra Small, Small, Medium, Large)
- ✅COMFORT & SECURITY – Are provided thanks to the WZPB pet harness that’s perfect for small dogs and cats; it’s easy to slide on and off and comfortable for long periods of time; adjustable straps help secure a fit that isn’t tight or loose – just perfect,and 150cm long nylon Leash.
- ✅SOFT & BREATHABLE MATERIAL – For all of life’s walks, runs, hikes, swims or a game of fetch; mesh material helps your pet dog or cat breathe easily and allows heat to escape and cool air to come in; padded material helps provide softness your pet will love
- ✅ADJUSTABLE FIT – Works great for any small dog, such as Chihuahuas, poodles, terriers, yorkies, French bulldogs, dachshunds and more; the strong side-release buckle clips hold the straps in place and the heavy duty D-rings keep the leash secure
- ✅DURABLE CONSTRUCTION – Strong, washable, and easy to clean polyester air mesh material is lightweight and super soft to the touch; this helps make the WZPB pet harness perfect for all kinds of weather and conditions without hurting your friend
Small dogs can be difficult to find a comfortable harness. Some do not fit right while others are made of uncomfortable materials that irritate their skin. Well, luckily WZPB knows just what a small dog needs.
This harness is made of soft, breathable polyester and mesh material that helps your dog stay well-ventilated while on their walks. It is also padded for extra comfort, so your Chihuahua’s skin is not irritated while they are on their walk.
Since it is made of durable material, it is constructed to stay standing against all types of conditions, even if your dog gets a bit messy. If you do need to wash the harness, you can place it in your washer along with the rest of your clothes. It is best to air dry it, though, to avoid the material from being heat damaged.
You will not have to struggle with placing the harness on your dog as the easy step-in design wraps comfortably around your pup, like a warm hug.
You can adjust the size of the WZPB to fit your dog’s size the best with the adjustable sliders, and the strong side-release buckle keeps the harness from coming off. As well, the heavy-duty D-ring on the back of the harness provides a secure place to attach a leash to your dog.
With the variety of sizes and fun colors to choose from you will have no problem deciding which harness to pick. You may want to have all the color styles so your pup can be ready for any occasion.
The quality, comfort, and durability are sure to be high selling points for you, especially if you want your Chihuahua to enjoy the outside world as much as you do.
- Breathable air-mesh fabric to keep your dog cool and dry in the summer but still sturdy. Also very light weight with velcro and plastic clip closure and two heavy duty D-rings for added security. You will love these vests
- This vest is so comfy for your pet and a breeze to put on and take off. This choke free harness has no thin straps to dig in and hurt your pet and is washable for easy cleaning This vest is a great value compared to the more expensive brands and is made with the same quality materials.
- Please Note: These vests do run small (my 7-8 lb yorkie with long fur fits into a medium size fine) small would not work for him. All breeds are different so please measure your dogs chest first and refer to our fitting sizes below. The velcro strap will adjust about 1 to 2 inches.
- FITTING INSTRUCTIONS/SIZES: (Please measure your pets chest/back just behind the front legs and up to the top (back) with a measuring tape or leash for correct fit) XS fits 10-1/4″ adj to 11-1/4″max-(2- 4 lbs depending on breed and body type) SM fits 12-1/2″ to 13″max-(5-6.5 lbs.) Med fits 14-3/4″ to 15-3/4″max-(7-8 lbs) LG fits 16″ to 17-1/2″max-(9-12 lbs) XL fits 17-1/2″ to 19-1/2″max-(13-16 lbs.) The XS size will fit some 2 lb dogs good but not less than 2 lbs, just depends on the breed.
- If you cant find a small enough vest for your small dog, look no further, this is it! Xs works For: teacups, toys, puppies, Morkies, Yorkies, Pomeranian, Chihuahua, mini Dachshund and more. US Seller for fast delivery and easy returns. Ships in 1 day from FL USPS w/tracking We will make sure you and your pet are happy.
For a harness that knows how fragile a small dog’s body can be, turn to the Snazzi Pet Soft. This harness is designed to look like a vest so that it gives full, comforting support to your Chihuahua’s body without straining any part of their body. Think of it as a loving embrace that will keep your dog close to you while on a walk.
It is made of breathable, air-mesh fabric that is gentle to the touch yet durable enough to handle little pullers. Your dog will feel fresh and dry in the summer. It is choke-free as there is nothing around your dog’s neck, and it doesn’t have thin straps that could irritate their skin and cause rashes or wounds.
Placing the harness vest on your dog is simple. Since it is a step-in design, your dog can walk into their harness without needing to be lifted or lift their legs uncomfortably. The Velcro closure secures the harness to your dog while the sturdy plastic buckle adds an extra security restraint. Two heavy-duty D-Rings on the back provides a secure place where you can clip the leash.
Its material is easy to clean, in case your pup would have gotten themselves into a messy situation. You can spot clean it with a wet towel, or you can pop it into your washer for a more thorough clean. While it can be dried, it is best to let it air dry to preserve the durability of the material.
As for finding the right measurement for your Chihuahua, make sure that you accurately measure their chest and neck size. The Snazzi Pet Soft does run small, so you may need to buy a size up if your dog is between two harness sizes.
And finally, if your Chihuahua is new to wearing a harness, take your time to get them used to it.
Try putting the harness on immediately before a meal, and that way they get food as a reward for being so good.
Then praise your dog and tell them how handsome/ beautiful/ clever they look, so the dog builds strong positive links to wearing the harness.
Always keep safety in mind and check the straps regularly for signs of wear and tear, and ‘retire’ the harness if you spot a problem.
That is unless you purchased one of the two Kurgo harnesses mentioned here since these both come with a lifetime guarantee for parts and workmanship.
Remember, buying the best harness for Chihuahua is a good investment in your Chi’s future health.
And absolutely the final words are don’t leave a dog unattended that is wearing a harness.
Although safer than a collar from a choking perspective, it is still possible to get hooked up on something and come to harm.
Supervise the dog at all times…or take the harness off.
Happy walking everyone!
Best Harness for Chihuahua
Walking your little chihuahua is much easier with the use of the best harness!
The Original EcoBark
Kurgo Tru-Fit Crash Tested
Dog Harnesses for Small Dogs
Soft Mesh Comfy