Dog owners purchasing puppy food for French bulldogs have to keep one conundrum in mind when food shopping for these pets. When looking for the best French bulldog puppy food, keep in mind that this breed is prone to obesity.
According to the American Kennel Club, their high-obesity risks can affect French bulldogs’ physical structures and be the cause of health issues. These dogs cannot swim, have breathing problems due to their flat faces, and don’t handle hot or humid weather well.
Eye conditions such as cherry eye, juvenile cataracts, or entropion (a condition in which the eyelid is rolled inward against the eyeball) may affect their ability to play. Plus skin allergies and autoimmune skin disorders may make them be more sensitive to the outdoors.
Because extensive physical activities that other dogs may enjoy tend to be an issue for French bulldogs, calorie intake and weight watching must be a high priority.
Best French Bulldog Puppy Food
- Royal Canin French Bulldog Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred French Bulldogs 12 months and older
- Exclusive tailor-made kibble helps French Bulldogs easily pick up and chew their food
- Supports muscle tone with precise protein content and L-carnitine
- Reinforces the skin barrier with essential nutrients to support healthy skin and wrinkles
- Helps reduce gas and stool odor with highly digestible proteins and precise fiber content
Flat-faced dogs may have more trouble getting ahold of food, specifically because of their brachycephalic (i.e., “short-headed”) jaw type. Each piece of this kind of kibble (shaped similar to a boomerang) makes it easier to get ahold of for chewing, courtesy of Royal Canin, which has been in the dog food business for more than 40 years.
- 17 lb. bag
- Enriched with L-carnitine
- Omega-3 fatty acids from eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
Royal Canin partners with various breeders and veterinarians to brainstorm on the correct formula for each breed. Because of their facial and jaw structures, French bulldogs have noticeably different jaw structures and muzzle lengths.
Their biting and lip patterns make being able to pick up puppy food as much of a priority as nutrition. With the help of recording dogs’ lifestyles and health issues, such as French bulldogs, this dry dog food is a mixture of brewers rice, wheat, chicken fat, wheat gluten, pork meal, rosemary extract, tea, fish oil, dried plain beet pulp, various vitamins and more.
As with any food, including those with healthy fats, dog owners must make sure not to overfeed their dogs with even meals such as these.
- Helps maintain muscle mass
- Complex of nutrients
- Protein content (24 percent per mineral)
- Supports skin and coat health
- Reduces stool odor
- Kibble shape made for an easier way to grasp and chew
- Kipple size and texture also made for easier feeding
- Meant for French bulldogs over 1 year old
In addition to proper nutrition to fight against obesity, this dry food by Royal Canin is a triple threat, with its shape to make the food easier for French bulldogs to grab onto with their jaws in addition to providing great muscle mass and skin health.
Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy
- Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Bulldogs 8 weeks to 15 months old
- Exclusive tailor-made kibble helps Bulldog puppies easily pick up and chew their food
- Helps protect your puppy’s developing immune system and natural defenses with an exclusive complex of antioxidants including vitamin E
- Supports digestion and intestinal flora through high-quality proteins and prebiotics–which also helps with gas and stool quality
- Promotes healthy growth for bones & joints with a balanced energy intake and precise minerals to support little stocky bodies
Imagine the feeling you get when you eat food too fast, and it feels like it’s stuck going down. Or, maybe you gobbled down food too fast without water and it’s taking longer than necessary to get past your throat.
That’s similar to what happens for a French bulldog puppy, who takes longer to chew and digest food. Food moves slowly through the intestines, and undigested proteins end up in the colon longer. This can lead to increased gas without the correct puppy dry food. Royal Canin fixes all of these obstacles with this puppy food.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Intended for bulldog puppies ages 8 weeks to 1 year old
- 30 lb. bag
In addition to Royal Canin’s 40-year history of trying to create the best dog food for each breed, including those with short muzzles such as the French bulldog puppy, this dog food option also has a nutrient combination.
This includes highly digestible proteins. Intended for puppies, this wave-shaped kibble helps the puppy pick food up much easier, even with its short, broad muzzle that is turned in an upward direction.
Healthy ingredients include brown rice, brewers rice, chicken meal, chicken fat, dried beet pulp, fish oil, vegetable oil, rosemary extract, various vitamins, and citric acid.
- Vitamins help support the natural immune system
- Reduces the risk of excess weight gain
- Glucosamine and chondroitin support healthy bones and joints
- Reduces stool odor
- Easy to grab and chew
- Not meant for dogs over the age of 1
Although French Bulldogs must maintain healthy weight whether, in their adult stage or puppy stage, food choices like these are especially significant during their initial growth period, when the puppy’s adult defenses have not been fully developed.
Purina Pro Plan
- One (1) 6 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics, Small Breed Dry Dog Food, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Nutrient-dense bite-sized kibble and small tender, shredded pieces for a taste and texture dogs love
- High protein formula with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics to support digestive and immune health
Brachycephalic dog breeds have short muzzles and noses. This makes their throat and breathing passages undersized or flattened. Because ingesting food takes a lot of air, small kibble ideally requires a dog to eat slower and less at a time. (This also reduces flatulence.) This is why bite-sized kibble such as Purina Pro is ideal.
- 5 lb. bag
- Blend of DHA and EPA
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B
- Linoleic acid
- Omega 6 fatty acids
- Chicken as a primary ingredient
Healthy ingredients to support cognitive health and healthy skin and coat include chicken, whole grain corn, brewers rice, corn gluten meal, fish meal, fish oil, wheat bran, and more.
While keeping an inactive dog at a healthy weight may be easier said than done, choosing dry foods such as these helps you well on your way to that goal. In addition to foods with healthy fatty acids and vitamins, also measure the number of servings to match the bulldog’s age, exercise patterns, and home environment.
- Helps support cognitive health
- The size makes chewing easier for small dogs
- High-quality protein
- Healthy fat helps maintain ideal body condition
- Rich in antioxidants for a healthy immune system
- Ideal for healthy skin and coat
- Only for adult dogs under 20 lbs
This brand suggests an estimated period of seven to 10 business days to ease the feeding transition between two different types of dog foods, such as Pro Plan, to allow your dog to get used to it.
With a little less of the first food and a little more of the Pro Plan, eventually, your dog will get used to this new and healthier meal. Then the Pro Plan can be fed to him exclusively. Freshwater in a clean container is also recommended, preferably in a dry area.
Rachael Ray Nutrish
- Contains (1) 28 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- U.S. farm-raised turkey is the No.1 ingredient
- No artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives
- Natural dog food with added vitamins & minerals
- Safely USA cooked with the world's best ingredients
The gluten-free diet has become extremely popular in local and national health food stores, and it’s even growing in recipe magazines. Oddly enough, there are cases in which gluten may not agree with your French bulldog too. Some bulldogs and French bulldogs puppies should avoid high-gluten grains (ex. rye, oat, barley, wheat) which is where Rachael Ray comes in.
- S. farm-raised turkey is the primary ingredient
- Added vitamins and minerals (omega 3 fatty acids; vitamins A, D3, B12, calcium)
- Comes in containers of 4 lbs., 6 lbs., 12 lbs., 14 lbs., 17 lbs., 23 lbs., and 28 lbs.
Depending on your veterinarian’s instructions, low-gluten grains (ex. quinoa, milo, rice, millet) may be more highly recommend.
In a study sourced via Pet MD, food allergy issues in dogs (in a study of 278 cases) were more likely because of beef, dairy foods, chicken, egg, lamb, soy, pork, and fish. (Only 42 cases were from wheat, which contains gluten.)
However, this natural dog food skips all of the (potentially) problematic ingredients as well as processed meat. It also includes whole potatoes, beet pulp, tapioca, peas, and real turkey.
- No poultry by-product meal or filler ingredients
- Grain and gluten-free (if this is an issue for your dog)
- No artificial flavors, colors, or artificial preservatives
- Strong fish odor
- May need to check with a veterinarian about whether the turkey or salmon dogs meet your French bulldog’s dietary needs
In addition to this product potentially being healthier than other dog foods, a portion of proceeds from each sale will be donated to The Rachael Ray Foundation. Those funds are reportedly used for animals in need of food, medical supplies, treatments, etc.
- Upload your dog's picture to make them the star of the show!
- WHAT IS FREEZE DRIED? Freeze drying removes moisture from food by vaporization, a natural process that turns water molecules into vapor. Freeze drying food changes its texture (which dogs love!) but the raw qualities of the meat stay intact, ensuring maximum nutrition, without adding any chemicals! Other packing and preservation processes either add chemicals or lose nutritional value! Since freeze dried food is so light, it's great for taking on the go and does not require refrigeration!
- DELICIOUS TASTE AND EASE OF USE- Dogs absolutely love Healthy Breeds All Natural, 100% Beef Liver Freeze Dried Treats! Great for rewards or training! Our container has a resealable lid easy for many uses!
- 100% ALL NATURAL, GLUTEN AND GRAIN FREE- No preservatives! No additives! Gluten and Grain Free! Perfect snack for dogs with allergies! Only 1 ingredient! Feel good giving your dog these treats, knowing exactly what is inside each bite!
- TRUSTED HIGH QUALITY- This product has human grade premium quality beef liver with 100% satisfaction guaranteed!! All products are USA sourced, made and packaged in a facility that is USDA, GFSI, and EU certified!
Dry food isn’t the only type of French bulldog food to be on the lookout for. Treats such as those by Healthy Breeds may also need to be healthy in order to meet the health needs of your French bulldog.
- Healthy vitamins (calcium, phosphorus, potassium, niacin, vitamin B6, iron, zinc, and selenium)
- Made in the United States
- GFSI and EU certified
Freeze drying these treats removes food moisture and changes the texture of the food. While the raw “meaty” qualities of the food remain the same in taste, this particular product does not add additional chemicals that lower its nutritional value.
It’s also a lighter food that can be carried on-the-go for automobile travel, long walks, camping, etc. While each dog’s allergy issues are on a case-by-case basis, for French bulldogs who enjoy chicken, this is the way to go.
In addition to being a low-fat protein that helps muscle development, this treat is also good for consistently healthy body weight. Whether sprinkled into a regular meal or used solely as a treat, this dog food choice has essential nutrients and the added bonus of making dogs crave it.
- No preservatives
- No additives
- Low fat
- Zero carbohydrates
- Check the package to make sure meat is not too dry
- May end up having too many crumbs because of freeze-dried texture
Sometimes you have to hide the healthy perks of a meal for human children in order to get them to eat them. (Sweet potato fries, anyone?) That’s the case with the Healthy Breeds treat too. While it may initially look like a “treat,” it’s actually quite healthy for your French bulldog and can help with maintaining a proper weight.
While some food brands may be healthy for certain body types, it is not a good idea for French bulldog puppies to eat any food that causes excessive flatulence, such as beans, milk products, milk products, peas, soybeans, and fatty or spicy foods. When checking out the ingredients in French bulldog puppy food, beware of these added ingredients.
Also, keep this in mind if/when feeding a puppy kitchen scraps. Even with healthy, high-protein foods (ex. chicken), bulldogs can be susceptible to kidney stones from too much protein. Bulldogs eat quickly, and sometimes they may overestimate their ability to eat larger food. They’re also likely to overeat if left unattended so it is recommended to keep track of the daily rations.
Without a dog food journal (or a general observation of what is and what is not fed and how much), this breed can suffer from flatulence, heart issues, indigestion, and joint problems. For other breed-specific or specialty foods click here.
Best French Bulldog Puppy Food
French bulldogs are a beautiful and unqiue breed that need to follow a specific diet from the beginning.
- Royal Canin
- Royal Canin Bulldog Puppy
- Purina Pro Plan
- Rachael Ray Nutrish
- Healthy Breeds