The Basenji is a fascinating creature and in many ways, it’s very unlike other dog breeds.
For a start, they have a reputation for not barking…but this doesn’t mean they’re silent.
Far from it. With a wide vocal range of yelps, squeals, and howls, the Basenji is anything but quiet.
Their lack of bark may stem from their origins as hunting dogs in Africa.
It may be that those ancient hunters didn’t want a dog that barked and alarmed the birds they were stalking, and so selectively bred from ‘silent’ dogs.
From this, we learned that they are active working dogs, as are the modern versions which love exercise and using their intelligence.
Quick look: Top 8 Best Dog Foods for Basenji
Indeed, whilst thinking about weight gain, this is also a breed that can suffer from underactive thyroid glands and lead to a portly waistline, dull coat, and lack of energy. However, the Basenji who doesn’t get enough exercise is prone to weight gain and may also pit their wits against their owner and get up to mischief.
Thus, it’s important to not overfeed your Basenji, especially if he doesn’t have a demanding physical regime that involves running for most of the day.
The Basenji is a sight and sound hound.
This means that when something catches their eye or ear, they are liable to take off after it with the speed of the wind.
They are indeed highly intelligent dogs, but as hunting dogs they are also used to thinking for themselves, and so can be fiercely independent.
Another trait is they like to investigate and are curious about anything and everything.
This includes objects in the house, and it’s often said that a Basenji will teach their owner to clean up….because anything left out is liable to be chewed or eaten.
So continuing on the subject of eating, let’s consider some of the best dog foods for Basenjis so you can make the right choice for your favorite hound.
Hill's Science Diet
- A dry large-breed dog food shown to improve mobility in 30 days
- Supports improved joint health in big dogs with EPA from fish oil
- Supports your grown dog's joint health with natural sources of glucosamine & chondroitin
- Uses a balanced set of minerals to promote strong bones in large dogs
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Unfortunately potentially disabling conditions such as hip dysplasia are common in the Basenji breed.
Hip dysplasia is an inherited condition where the hip joint is in poor shape.
Instead of the thigh bone moving smoothly against the cup in the pelvis, it grates and grinds, causing pain and inflammation.
Over time this leads to remodeling of the joint, pain, and can greatly impact on the dog’s ability to get around and lead an active life.
Since it’s difficult to know which dogs will be affected by hip dysplasia, it’s wise to be proactive and feed your dog a diet that will nourish the joints and provide vital building blocks of repair.
Hill’s Science Diet mobility support is one such diet.
It is supplemented with high levels of chondroitin and glucosamine.
These compounds are ‘nutraceuticals’ or food supplements that have a pharmaceutical benefit on the body.
Thus for an active dog, Hill’s Science is great for Basenjis because it helps to protect joint health and keep that active dog up and running.
The food contains respectable levels of chondroitin and glucosamine, and indeed many people who have previously been giving these as a food supplement stopped giving the later because the food already contained it.
Whilst many people do give this food to older dogs, it’s fine for adult dogs in general.
Tru Dog Freeze-dried
- LESS IS A WHOLE LOT MORE: Raw Dog Food Made from free-ranging, Wisconsin grass-fed USDA beef, meaty bones and whole organ meats. You will never find any grains, fillers, preservatives, or coloring in any of our products. Made in the USA.
- INGREDIENTS: Beef, beef tripe, beef lung, ground beef bone, beef liver, beef heart, beef kidney, beef blood, beef fat, herring oil (natural source of vitamin D), mixed tocopherols (natural antioxidant), d-alpha tocopherol (natural vitamin E).
- DAILY FEEDING GUIDELINES: To unleash the nutritious goodness of each serving, just add water, With no fillers in the food, you don't have to worry about TruDog losing its crunchy munchy goodness. Approximately 5 cups per bag. Feeding guidelines according to weight.
- BENEFITS: No more foul smelling doggie breath, easy to digest, all-natural, hypoallergenic, appropriate for dogs of all ages and breeds, dog approved and dog preferred taste, no fear of food contamination or harmful effects of filler-laden kibble, happy healthy pets
- GUARANTEED: Safety and satisfaction guaranteed, proudly made in the U.S.A.
Perhaps you are intrigued by what you’ve heard about feeding raw foods to your dog, and the idea is appealing but you can’t store a lot of raw meat.
Well, Tru Dog freeze-dried meat bonanza could be your answer.
The ingredients list for this food is truly impressive, with beef and beef by-products such as lung and lights being the major ingredients, with the inclusion of herring oil as a source of natural vitamin D.
The freeze-dried formulation means it comes in a bag (no freezer space required) containing handy lumps of kibble-like meat.
You can either serve it as it comes, straight out of the bag, or you can moisten it with water for it to be reconstituted back to a more meaty appearance.
You can feed it alone as a complete diet, or add in some carbohydrate in the form of kibble.
One thing’s for sure, this is a very healthy option for you Basenji that provides for his nutritional needs in a healthy and wholesome way.
Of course, those top-quality ingredients mean this is never going to be the cheapest dog food you’ll find, but that’s kind of the point.
There are many, many foods containing cheap fillers or plant-based proteins, but for those who only want the best for their dog then this dog food diet is a serious contender.
- Contains 1 - 28 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- High-quality protein blend helps preserve lean muscle
- High fiber content helps keep your dog satisfied and may reduce begging behavior
- Promotes healthy digestion
- Low calorie diet for overweight dogs
Described by the manufacturer as a premium quality dog food made from premium meats, this particular variety has reduced calorie content.
This makes it ideal for the Basenji whose waistline isn’t as easy to identify as it should because they consume more calories than they burn.
Ironically, a common complaint about many low-calorie foods is they don’t taste great so the dogs won’t eat it, which is distressing for the pet parent.
But this Natural Balance reduced-calorie food is formulated to be tasty and low calorie.
Of course, this doesn’t mean the dog can eat as much as they like. Oh no!
The pet parent will need to weigh out the dog’s daily allowance and be strict about portion control to keep the dog slim and trim.
But it does mean that what goes in the bowl gets eaten rather than thrown in the bin, which is reassuring for the owner.
Natural Balance is made from wholesome, nourishing ingredients with named meat as the principal protein, such as chicken.
Again, some restricted-calorie foods make use of principally plant-based protein as a cheap filler, but this is not the case with Natural Balance.
Indeed, even the carbohydrate comes from suitably delicious-sounding sources such as oatmeal, potatoes, and brown rice.
- Dog Food
- Canned Food
The advantage of feeding your pooch Nature’s Logic is that it’s often more appetizing than dry kibble as it’s softer to chew, and has a higher moisture content.
The latter is beneficial for the urinary tract and can reduce the likelihood of bladder problems.
This is truly a prince among foods as it contains 90% animal ingredients, with named meat as the main ingredient.
No cheap fillers here! Indeed, it is grain and gluten-free, and even uses natural sources of vitamins rather than cheaper artificial ones.
This does come at a price, but for the Basenji where health and healthy eating is of primary importance, you will want to check out Nature’s Logic.
With this being a lesser-known product than some of the bigger brands, it’s impressive to see that those who have tried it with their dog have all given it a hearty thumbs up.
- ENJOY A LIFETIME OF WELLBEING: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients your puppy needs to thrive; no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- SUPPORTS HEALTHY GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT: Guaranteed levels of DHA from Salmon Oil support brain development, antioxidants support strong immune systems, balanced nutrients promote optimal energy and Omega Fatty Acids ensure healthy skin and coat
- WHOLE BODY HEALTH: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, essential vitamins and probiotics
- FIND THE RIGHT FOOD: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog's specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
This is our top pick for the best puppy food for Basenji puppies.
There is arguably no time in a dog’s life more important to feed them a nutritional diet than when they’re a puppy.
This isn’t just about giving good quality ingredients (important as this is) but about providing the right balance of nutrition for optimal growth of healthy bones, skin, and organs.
Which is why this Wellness food ticks all the right boxes when asking: What is the best puppy food for Basenji?
Made in the US you have the reassurance of tight quality control.
But there are lots of food manufactured in the US so why pick this one?
Well, it’s made with all-natural ingredients, with nothing artificial added such as colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Also, it skips those ingredients such as wheat, soy, and corn that are controversial in dog food.
Technically, wheat and corn are considered natural, but Wellness doesn’t accept this as good enough, they only want to use ingredients that have a proven health benefit to your growing pup.
And yes, you guessed it; they only include named meat as the main ingredient, so you know exactly what dog food you’re putting in your pup’s bowl at mealtime.
Taste of the Wild
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & COAT
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with NO GRAIN, corn, wheat, filler; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY DIGESTIBLE with guaranteed species-specific, PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS that survive and thrive in the GI tract
- MADE in the USA; FAMILY OWNED & run; food made with the most scientifically advanced food safety protocols; We'd appreciate your CALL 800.342.4808
Sometimes choice can be a bad thing because you end up getting so confused with all the different options available.
Ultimately, what you want is a food that promotes good health and your dog loves to eat.
Sometimes we get so carried away by thinking about what food shouldn’t contain, such as artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives that we forget to think about the deliciousness and taste that our dogs love.
Not so with Taste of the Wild.
As the name implies, they take inspiration from the diet a dog would naturally eat in the wild…but the gourmet version.
Take this recipe for example; the principle protein comes from roasted bison and venison, with the carbohydrate supplied by sweet potato, fruit, and vegetables.
You won’t find cheap vegetable protein here, or gluten, or controversial ingredients …instead this is an ultra-premium quality dry dog food.
Best Dog Food for Basenji with Allergies
- Reduces Paw Licking: Our Low Glycemic Dog Allergy Food Prevents The Growth Of Yeast On Your Dogs Paws, Which Is The Leading Cause Of Paw Licking And Biting In Dogs Today
- Solves Skin Itching, Redness, Bumps And Foul Odor: Our Limited Ingredient Formula Contains Human-Grade New Zealand Lamb And Other Essential Hypoallergenic Ingredients; Which Will Relieve Your Dogs Skin Problems
- Grain Free, High Protein And Super Addictive: Our Recipe Was Created Especially For Dogs Who Are Fussy About Their Food, Who Need A Grain Free Or High Protein Diet. Ps Is Air-Dried; Creating Soft Irresistible Pieces Of Meaty Goodness; Perfect As A Hypoallergenic Treat
- Solving Allergies Is Our Sole Mission: Were Dedicated To Deliver The Highest Quality Complete Diet For Dogs With Pet Food Sensitivities. We Are A Small Family Owned Us Manufacturer Of Wholesome Dog Food, Treats, And Supplements
- Paws Promise: We Are So Confident In Your Satisfaction With Our Dog Allergy Food That If You Don'T Absolutely Love The Results You Get, Return It For A Full Refund. There Is No Risk; You Have Nothing To Lose.
What is the best dog food for Basenjis with allergies? Our choice is PS Hypoallergenic.
Does your Basenji lick their paws excessively or regularly suffer from ear infections?
Many things can cause your dog to have itchy skin, a food allergy is often overlooked as the causing problem.
Of all the allergies a dog can have, food allergies are perhaps the one which offers the greatest hope of a ‘cure’ or at least long term control.
This is because by avoiding the allergen which triggers the dog’s allergic skin reaction you can eliminate the trigger and prevent the itch from starting in the first instance.
Most dogs commonly react to a protein source in their diet, such as chicken or beef, and when fed a diet that doesn’t contain that protein, the allergic reaction wanes and settles down.
When a dog is trialed on a low allergen diet for the first time this is known as a dietary trial.
PS Hypoallergenic is one of the best dog foods for Basenjis with allergies because it’s made from a single protein source.
Depending on the flavor variety it is either 90% New Zealand lamb or turkey. (NB When feeding a hypoallergenic diet you should select one flavor and stick with that one for the duration of the dietary trial, rather than swap and change.)
PS is great for Basenjis with allergies the potential for better skin is priceless, but be realistic about the price and make sure you can commit to it feeding this and nothing else for at least eight weeks.
Purina Pro Plan
$14.48 in stock
- One (1) 4 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog Food, FOCUS Sensitive Skin & Stomach Lamb & Oat Meal Formula
- Real lamb is the #1 ingredient
- Omega-6 fatty acids and zinc help to nourish your dog's skin and promote a healthy coat
- Prebiotic fiber promotes digestive health to support your dog's total well-being
- New Look and Name Coming Soon. May Receive Either Bag During Transition
What is the best dog food for Basenjis with sensitive stomachs? Our choice is the Purina Pro Plan Focus.
Some dogs have sensitive stomachs and you tend to know about it because they can either clear the room with their flatulence or they have regular stomach upsets. Not nice!
Having a sensitive stomach often means the gut is less tolerant of certain foods than others, which irritates and inflames the lining of the bowel causing spasm and upsets.
As with any sensitivity, when it comes to ingredients it’s often a matter of what’s left out, as well at what’s included.
This ProPlan is one of the best dog foods for Basenji with a sensitive stomach because it leaves out ingredients that are considered controversial because of their link to digestive sensitivities.
This means they’ve left out such staples in other foods, such as corn, wheat, soy, flavoring, colorings, and poultry by-products.
What it does contain is named meat as its main protein source, whilst carbohydrate energy is provided by oats and barley.
This Purina Pro Plan Focus formula is rich in Omega 3 & 6, and antioxidants for a healthy coat and immune system.
If your pet pal is a Basenji then keep them fit and well by feeding a healthy diet. So which food will you choose for your Basenji?
But as well as giving them good food, take care of the amount you feed your little friend.
Since Basenjis by nature are an active breed, if for whatever reason they can’t get out and about as much as you’d like, they can have a tendency to gain weight.
Remember, how much you feed can be almost as important as what you feed.
The high-quality brands mentioned in this article are all well-balanced and provide everything your dog needs to keep well, so there’s no point in overfeeding.
That’s great news for your Basenji’s waistline and great news for your pocket as it means even if a product costs more than a rival brand, each bag is liable to the last longer when you exercise proper portion control.
Best Dog Foods for Basenji
The top 8 Best Dog Foods for Basenji reviewed. Look no further for the best food that will suit your dog's situation!
- Hill's Science Diet
- Tru Dog Freeze-dried
- Natural Balance
- Nature's Logic
- Wellness Complete
- Taste of the Wild
- PS Hypoallergenic
- Purina Pro Plan Focus