It is inevitable that dogs leading a full and active life will pick up unwanted parasites. Flea shampoo for dogs offers a convenient way of combating this common problem.
However, this is one product where it really does pay to do your research to find the top flea shampoo for dogs because the active ingredients do vary between brands, which have a bearing on their effectiveness.
Best Flea Shampoos for Dogs
In addition, you can use the best dog shampoo for fleas to get rid of parasites on the dog, but for a heavy infestation, there will be eggs and larvae in the soft furnishings which need blitzing with specific environmental control products.
- PEST CONTROL: Kills fleas, ticks, flea eggs, flea larvae and lice.
- FOR SENSITIVE SKIN: Rich, creamy, sensitive skin formula with soothing aloe, lanolin and oatmeal.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill and prevent flea development for up to 28 days.
- USE ON DOGS & CATS: Safe for use on all dogs, cats, puppies and kittens 12-weeks and older.
- FRESH SCENT: Pleasant, fresh scent.
When looking for the best flea shampoo for dogs with fleas you need to know about Adams Plus.
One reviewer, who works at a rescue shelter, cites using Adams Plus to successfully control fleas on their own eight dogs plus foster dogs.
Adams contains Precor, an insect growth inhibitor, which kills immature fleas before they reach the biting stage and keeps on working for 28 days.
The formulation also includes oatmeal, coconut extract, lanolin, and soothing aloe, all of which are moisturizing and leave a soft, glossy coat.
Finally, it’s important if your pet has fleas it’s important to treat all in-contact animals. Adams Plus is safe for both dogs and cats, which means you don’t need multiple products in a multi-species household, saving you money and shelf-space.
- CLEANS AND CONTROLS: SENTRY oatmeal shampoo cleans, deodorizes and conditions your dog's coat, and is also pH balanced. It can be used on dogs and puppies 12 weeks of age and over.
- IDEAL FOR DOGS: This rich, conditioning formula with oatmeal kills pests that can harm your pet. Ideal for dogs with sensitive skin. Not recommended for use on cats or kittens.
- RID YOUR DOG OF FLEAS: SENTRY Flea and Tick Oatmeal Shampoo for dogs and puppies has a great Hawaiian ginger fragrance. This tried-and-true formula kills fleas and ticks for up to ten days. It even kills the deer ticks that may carry Lyme disease.
- FLEAS: Fleas are insects that can start your pet scratching with one bite. They have exceptional jumping skills, leaping vertically up to seven inches to hop on a host to feed and lay their eggs — up to 5,000 flea eggs in a female’s lifetime.
- TICKS: Ticks are parasites that belong to the arachnid family (like spiders and mites) and live in wooded or grassy areas where they attach themselves to pets walking by. Female ticks find hosts to feed, mate and lay eggs upon, while the males generally occupy hosts for mating purposes.
Please note, unlike Adams Plus, this product is not suitable for use on cats.
With consistently highly rated reviews Sentry Flea and Tick Shampoo have an excellent reputation for killing both of these unpleasant critters and remaining effective for 10 days.
It is pH balanced to be gentle on the skin and has added oatmeal for coat conditioning whilst Hawaiian ginger provides a pleasing scent. This is why so many reviewers trust Sentry as the best dog shampoo for fleas and dry skin.
Like many flea shampoos, it needs a minimum of five minutes contact time to be effective, so bear this in mind if you have a large, hairy dog that is liable to shake!
Whilst flea bites are unpleasant, ticks can pose a real and serious threat to your dog’s health. To maintain protection you will need to repeat shampoo every 10 days.
But remember, always be vigilant for ticks on your dog, checking daily, and if you do spot a tick then removal is the best belt and braces policy. (This should be easier when using Sentry as it will kill the tick which loosens its grip.)
- PET GROOMING KIT cleans and conditions skin + fur while it provides therapeutic insect mosquito flea + tick prevention therapy. Gentle anti-itch shampoo has aromatherapy benefits to energize your pet.
- LEMONGRASS + CITRONELLA Tear free oil infused shampoo + grooming spray have anti-bacterial anti-microbial + antioxidant properties to support a healthy immune system as they remove dirt + dandruff.
- PET SPRAY FOR ITCHY SKIN soothes dry flaky + irritated skin. Nourishing essential oils hydrate + moisturize for healthy skin and a full +thick coat. Your pet’s fur will be soft and smooth head to tail.
- PET ODOR ELIMINATOR pet cleansing spray removes wet dog smell & cat urine litter odors. It infuses your pet with a fresh citrus aroma. Deodorizer comes in environmentally friendly BPA free bottles.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: Our gentle formula is chemical free and nontoxic making it safe for sensitive skin. Hypoallergenic pet shampoo and spray duo is backed by a 100% money back guarantee.
As the name suggests, this is a natural dog shampoo for fleas which does not contain any of the harsh chemicals and that can aggravate dryness and trigger irritation.
Honeydew uses the anti-microbial properties of natural ingredients to cleanse the skin and get rid of the bacterial buildup which causes doggy odors, which means a sweet-smelling pet but without costing the earth.
Nature Pet is a good flea shampoo for dogs in its own right because it lacks mineral oils and parabens that irritate the eyes, making it a tear-free formula.
It naturally repels fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes using 100% pure lemongrass and citronella extract, however, the manufacturer does not claim the shampoo kills these parasites.
This means Honeydew is ideal for the clean pet that is occasionally exposed to parasites, but for more complete control, especially for dogs at high risk of regularly acquiring ticks, look for a product that kills these unwanted visitors.
- Dog and cat shampoo effectively kills fleas and ticks during all stages of their lifecycle
- Contains 100% natural oatmeal extract to soothe and protect skin
- Long-lasting Mandarin Violet scent keeps your pet smelling fresh
- Contains no dyes, alcohol, parabens, phosphates, or artificial colors ; made with pH-balanced and biodegradable ingredients
- For dogs and cats over 12 weeks of age
A feature of Oster is that it is excellent for fleas and dry skin. The formulation is free from parabens, alcohol, phthalates, and phosphates which could dry and irritate the skin.
It uses a natural extract of chrysanthemum, from which pyrethrums are derived, to provide its flea and tick killing action.
This product does not claim any lingering effect, but the bonus is that it doesn’t wash off topical flea products prescribed by your vet.
The action of Oster is enhanced by a high level of ingredients to make it extra effective at lifting dirt and leaving your pet smelling violet-fresh for longer than many other leading products.
- Kills fleas and ticks through contact
- Rich, creamy formula that cleans and conditions
- Use on cats, kittens, dogs and puppies over 12 weeks of age
- Pleasant, fresh scent
Zodiac contains delicious-sounding ingredients such as rosemary, mint, and cedar oil which have properties that repel both fleas and ticks.
This protection is sufficient for clean-living pets, but if you have a working dog that is regularly exposed to long grass containing ticks, be aware this product does not kill parasites and could, therefore, leave your canine companion at risk.
But if you are looking for a product that doesn’t contain chemicals and a repellent action is sufficient, then Zodiac is a good choice.
And finally, when choosing the best dog shampoo for fleas weigh up which factors matter to you most. Whether you prefer a natural product or one that is kind to dry skin there are many excellent, user-recommended products to choose from.