German Shepherds are one of the most popular breeds to own due to their loyalty, strength, and easy to train attitude. But not all German Shepherds start out this way and need a bit of help training them to be the best obedient dog they can be. By using the best dog harness for German Shepherd you can start training proper leash habits quickly.
Due to their size and muscles, collars may not be ideal for German Shepherds as it can damage their throat from constant pulling. Harnesses are a better alternative that will fit the frame of your German Shepherd rather than their throat.
Even if your German Shepherd does not have any leash pulling issues a harness would still be more comfortable for their body types.
But you cannot pick just any harness as German Shepherds need a harness that can handle their muscle power.
Best Harness for German Shepherd
EXCELLENT ELITE SPANKER
- Durable Material. This german shepherd harness is made of high quality and durable 1000D nylon material with neat stitching and soft padded lining to prevent chafing for your dog's skin and hair with a comfortable fit.
- Upgraded design. This service dog harness / k9 vest add a moved strap between the belly strap doesn't stumble your dog's leg when you control him for walking or training comparing with classic item,how focused and comfortable he becomes when wearing this dog vest.
- Easy Adjustable no pull dog harness:Free adjust properly & quick release buckle. The belly strap of this k9 tactical harness is adjust by 2 slider adjuster for two-way adjustment with strong release buckles.The tactical harness has soft padded chest strap keeps your dog's neck from getting yanked when your dog's change direction or forward suddenly.
- Top of the tactical harness has a aluminum alloy V-shaped buckle, stronger pull than ferroalloy and zinc alloy,can be attached a dog leash to keep your dog next to you easier by your control. There is an magic sticker ID panel on both sides of this military dog harness that can be placed for patches.
- 100% Quality Warranty: Your satisfaction is our first priority, we take care of all quality-related issues with a REPLACEMENT OR FULL REFUND with 90days; If you encounter any problem while using, never hesitate to send email to us and we will make it all right for you. Please follow the size chart to measure your dog carefully before you place the order to ensure the harness is fit well to your dog.
If you are looking for a harness for German Shepherd that gives you the most control over your dog then consider trying out the EXCELLENT ELITE SPANKER.
- Material— Nylon
- Size range— X-Small, Small, Large, X-Large
- Adjustable— Yes
- Available Colors— Black, Grey, Ranger Green, Coyote Brown, Multicam
Every dog is different and they need a harness that can fit their shape comfortably. This harness can be adjusted to fit the size and shape of your German Shepherd easily. The nylon material and soft padded lining is durable and prevents chafing against your dog’s skin and pulling out fur.
For that extra guided feel this harness has a belly strap that does not interfere in the way your dog walks and gives you better hold on your German Shepherd’s movements. Your dog is even protected from their own sudden movements and from hurting their own neck with the soft padded chest strap. As a plus, this harness is water repellent.
That means you can take your dog out during the rain, out swimming, and to the beach without fear of damaging the harness. You no longer will be limited in what you can do with your German Shepherd as this harness is multifunctional from training purposes to fun adventurous uses.
- Adjustable belly strap for comfort
- Quick-release buckle
- Aluminum alloy V-shaped buckle on top
- Can have patches attached to it via two magic sticker Id panels on sides
- Sizes tend to run large
- Has too much slack if the wrong size
The EXCELLENT ELITE SPANKER helps keep your German Shepherd secure and close to you when out and about on walks.
Big Dog Harness
- Large size: Chest Girth 22-32 inch. Perfect harness for large dogs, but also fits well for medium dogs, like golden retriever, labrador, german shepherd, american bully pitbull and more. Adjustable Straps let you create a custom fit for your dog.
- No pull design: Pulling pressure is evenly distributed to the body to prevent Pulling and Choking. Our dog vest harness comes with 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
- Easy to wear & locking Security: This pet harness with simple design and quick snap buckles which make it easy to put on and take off. Locking feature on both snaps makes it much more secure, perfect for daily walking, running, hiking, training, hunting, outdoor adventure and more!
- Sturdy handy handle: Our pet dog harness comes with sturdy D-ring leash attachment point and easy grap handle to help you to control and assist your dog.
- Reflective & lightweight: Premium Nylon Oxford material offers a long lifetime for this soft dog chest harness. Lightweight and easy to clean. Reflective straps keep your dog SAFE all the time while out for a walk.
Finding long-lasting and durable harnesses for large breed dogs can be difficult at times, but the Babyltrl Big Dog Harness is made specifically to fit comfortably and securely on large breed dogs, like the German Shepherd.
- Material— Premium Nylon Oxford
- Size range— Large
- Adjustable— Yes
- Available Colors— Black
While this harness may look simple in design at its core it provides the best quality control and long-lasting use for your German Shepherd.
The Premium Nylon Oxford material is durable, easy to clean, and breathable so your German Shepherds fur and skin are not hurt while the harness is on. Since it is a no-pull design that means, if your German Shepherd were to suddenly pull, the pulling pressure is evenly distributed and helps you gain control of your dog again.
In case it is still hard to reclaim the soft-grip handle on the back of the harness further aids you. You can choose to either clip the leash to the leash attachments on the front or back of the harness, depending on whether your German Shepherd tends to pull or not.
If you love going out for late-night walks with your dog this harness is fully reflective to ensure your dog’s safety. You will be sure to enjoy the quality and use of this harness, but in case you did not this harness comes with a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee.
- No pull design
- Front and back leash rings
- Reflective in the dark
- Handle to help you better control your dog
- Breathable material
- Some customers have reported the straps loosened after several months of use
All dogs, even large dogs like German Shepherds, deserve comfort when on walks and the Babyltrl makes sure to fully provide that comfort.
- STYLISH & DURABLE - Outer layer made of scratch-resistant oxford material. Lightweight Duraflex buckle with large loading capacity greatly improves tensile strength
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN - Ease of use putting on and taking off harness. Comfortable lightweight mesh lining with soft sponge padding in chest and belly
- STRAP ADJUSTMENT - Push then pull straps through buckle for a custom fitting. Two leash attachment points: Zinc-alloy D-ring on dog's back and webbing with Zinc-alloy O-ring on dog's chest
- SAFETY FEATURES - Nylon webbing with 3M reflective material for good visibility at night and sturdy handle for easy seat belt attachment while riding in your car
- CHAI’S CHOICE - Based in Riverview, FL, Chai’s Choice offers high quality pet products and is owned by a retired US Navy veteran
If you and your German Shepherd love spending time outdoors then you will need the Chai’s Choice to keep up with your active lifestyle.
- Material— Nylon
- Size range— X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, x-Large
- Adjustable— Yes
- Available Colors— Black, Chocolate, Fuchsia, Lemon Lime, Orange, Purple, Red, Royal Blue, Teal Blue
This harness is super easy to slip on and off your German Shepherd. It can be adjusted to fit their shape and size comfortably as long as the initial measurement was correct before buying the harness. This harness is built for long-lasting use and to be durable.
With the scratch-resistant oxford material on the outside, it can withstand even the most active of dogs. The lightweight mesh inner lining allows the fur and skin to breathe and the soft sponge padding is comfortable on your dog’s chest and stomach.
There are two leash attachment points, one on the back and one on the front, so you can choose which one works best for your dog if they happen to be a puller or not. For nighttime outings, the nylon webbing has 3M reflective material so your dog will be seen at night.
As an added feature you can use the handle on the back to better control your dog or slip the seat belt through when in the car.
- Can be used to help injured or handicapped dogs walk
- Scratch-resistant material
- Reflective material for nighttime walks
- Easy to put on and remove
- The elastic bellyband does not provide the best support against strong pullers
- Some customers have reported the quick release buckles broke after several months of use
The Chai’s Choice has to be your go-to dog harness if you want your German Shepherd to join you on fun outings.
- RIGHT SIZE IS IMPORTANT: The size of the dog harness L chest is 26-36". Please carefully measure the widest part of the pet's chest. In order to fit more, you can reserve about two fingers, suitable for medium and large dogs.
- DOUBLE CONTROL IS SAFER: A strong rubber ring is designed above the dog harness to allow for more direct and effective control before the pet is out of control, or you can be connected a leash with the metal D ring so that the dog can have some space for walking.
- NO PULL DESIGN IS MORE FREE: The dog harness is designed with no pull, which allows the pet to move more freely. When you emergency pull, the tension is evenly distributed on the wide belt and the strong belt, and then evenly distributed to the body to prevent pulling and suffocating.
- NIGHTTIME REFLECTIVE TAPE IS MORE ASSURED: The nylon dog harness is not only comfortable and breathable, but the thick filler makes your dog like to wear it. It also comes with a nighttime reflective tape that confirms the pet's position during nighttime activities, making it safer and more secure.
- EASY TO WEAR AND ADJUST: The dog harness is designed with a quick buckle for easy wear. After wearing it, use the adjustment buckle to adjust it together for outdoor activities. Walking, training and running are very practical. A variety of styles and colors are available for you to choose from.
For better control over your German Shepherd during walks use the EXPAWLORER.
- Material— Nylon
- Size range— Medium, Large, X-Large
- Adjustable— Yes
- Available Colors— Black, Blue, Orange, Pink, Plaid, Purple, Red
Owning a big dog can get challenging, especially when on walks. One strong pull and your dog will either pull you down or drag you along behind them. This can even happen with the dependable German Shepherd. But worry no more as this harness is meant to help with large breed dogs.
Its soft padded design provides optimal comfort for your German Shepherd that protects their fur and skin. But it is also durable and meant for long-lasting use throughout your dog’s life. Even though this harness has a quick release buckle it will not unlock due to your dog’s pulling.
It will stay locked and in pace until you decide to remove the harness. You can even use this harness at night since the reflector is long, wide, and really bright so you know your dog will be easily spotted at night.
The rubber handle on the back of the harness can function as a better guide control or as a spot to place the seatbelt through when in the car. And to make sure your dog stays securely at your side attach their leash to the sturdy D-ring on the back of the harness.
- Reflective strap for night walks
- Padded design for comfort
- Heavy-duty D ring for leash attachment
- Quick-release buckle
- Rubber handle for better control
- Some customers have reported that their dog had escaped from the harness when walking backward
- Some customers have reported that it does not fully work as a no-pull harness
Take advantage of the EXPAWLORER for your German Shepherd or any large breed dog.
2 Hounds Design
1 used from $24.99
- ENJOY MORE WALKS: Easy to use & comfortable to wear, four adjustment points plus Swiss Velvet lining prevents rubbing
- BETTER CONTROL: Two connections give you better training results with your dog
- TRAIN WITH EASE: Recommended by veterinarians, trainers, and dog behaviorists worldwide - helps you train your dog.
- MADE IN THE USA: Stainless steel hardware and super strong nylon webbing.
- CHEWING WARRANTY: Chewing replacement warranty included by 2 Hounds Design.
For ideal control over your German Shepherd try using the 2 Hounds Design.
- Material— Swiss Velvet
- Size range— X-Small, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, XX-Large
- Adjustable— Yes
- Available Colors— Available in 19 colors
Compared to other harnesses that use nylon as their go-to material, this harness uses soft Swiss Velvet. Swiss Velvet is soft to prevent sores and fur loss from happening while also being durable against tough pullers and constant use.
If your German Shepherd is a puller you can attach the leash to either the martingale loop on the back or front leash attachment to better control and steer your dog in the right direction. You can even use the included double-ended leash to use both attachments at the same time for the best walking control possible.
If your German Shepherd is not a puller this harness will still work best for them since it will not harm their neck but instead give them a comforting hug as they walk.
- Four points of adjustability
- Helps against pulling dogs
- Has a chewing warranty
- Can help dogs with injuries or arthritis walk better
- Some customers have stated larger breed dogs were not affected by the no-pull design
Walks will no more be a hassle if your German Shepherd still needs to learn proper leash habits thanks to the 2 Hounds Design.
Picking a harness for a German Shepherd is not as hard as it seems once you understand that your German Shepherd just needs a special type of harness compared to smaller breed dogs. These harnesses better fit to your German Shepherd and makes walking them easier.
You will be able to control them better from their body rather than risk hurting them by trying to control them by their throat.
Since these dogs tend to have thicker necks collars might not do the trick for controlling your German Shepherd. Harnesses are also ideal for active dogs like German Shepherds since harnesses move with their bodies rather than staying in one place and holding them back.
When picking out a harness make sure to measure your German Shepherd’s body as accurately as possible in order to buy a harness that fits snug yet comfortably on your dog. The last thing you want is for your German Shepherd to slip out the harness and take off or for the harness to be too tight for them to even walk.