Congratulations on being the owner of a pit bull. Whilst these much misunderstood big guys look tough, they can be as soft as butter – it’s all in the rearing!
Raising a healthy pitbull means feeding for a healthy mind as well as a healthy body which means finding a suitable dog food for Pitbulls.
Best Dog Foods for Pitbulls
Factors to look out for when seeking the best dog food for Pitbulls is to check out the protein level and that the food is balanced for large breeds, plus you shoulder consider the convenience and economy offered by dry food.
When you find a good dog food for Pitbulls it nourishes not only bone and muscle but the nervous system making for a healthy mind that is ready and willing to respond to your training.
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your puppy’s natural love for meat, this high protein puppy dog food features real chicken to help encourage strong muscle growth
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free puppy food is made with the ingredients to help promote healthy development including DHA and ARA, important fatty acids found in mother's milk, to help support cognitive development and retinal health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein Natural Puppy Large Breed Dry Dog Food, Chicken
Let’s start at the beginning with finding a puppy pitbull food.
This food provides the foundation on which your dog will grow and mature so it’s important to feed a well-balanced diet that meets the needs of a growing puppy.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness foods take their inspiration from the omnivorous diet of the wolf, and their puppy food is high-protein (providing a good start for growing muscles) and grain-free (reducing the risk of dietary allergies).
Instead of grains, carbohydrate energy is supplied by sweet potatoes and potatoes.
The protein is sourced from chicken and includes deboned chicken as well as chicken and turkey meal, plus egg, whilst blueberries, carrots, and cranberries which provide anti-oxidants for a healthy immune system.
This food is rich in DHA, a fatty acid found in the mother’s milk also nourishes the developing brain.
Another crucial consideration for the best puppy food for pitbull is that the calcium and phosphorus ratio is balanced for steady bone growth which is not too fast as this reduces the risks of joint damage.
The small bite-sized kibble is meant those smaller jaws can crunch happily away, with each kibble shaped to promote tartar removal.
And last but not least Blue Buffalo contains a healthy balance of essential vitamins and omega 3 & 6 oils to promote a shiny coat.
- GRAIN FREE PUPPY FOOD WITH FREEZE DRIED RAW CAGE FREE CHICKEN: Instinct Raw Boost dry dog food combines high protein, grain free kibble with all natural bites of freeze dried raw chicken. Cage free chicken is the #1 ingredient - for energy to grow & play
- PUPPY DOG FOOD PLUS FREEZE DRIED RAW PIECES: Made with calcium & phosphorus for strong teeth and bones plus natural DHA for brain & eye development. Made without grain, potato, corn, wheat, soy, by product meal, artificial colors or preservatives.
- THE FIRST RAW BOOSTED LARGE BREED PUPPY KIBBLE: Raw Boost mixes natural, high protein, grain free dog food with our freeze dried raw dog food toppers in one bag. Also includes probiotics and omegas. Complete & balanced nutrition for large breed puppies.
- POWER OF RAW INGREDIENTS: Our dog food is made with the pure, real nutrition of raw. Raw is natural, made from real meat & whole food ingredients, protein packed & minimally processed. Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world.
- OUR BEST DOG FOOD FOR PUPPIES BOOSTED WITH RAW: We craft dry & wet dog food from real ingredients. Compare Instinct to Blue Buffalo, Rachel Ray, Hills Science Diet, Purina One, Taste of the Wild, Merrick, Natural Balance, Wellness, Orijen, Royal Canin.
An alternative choice for a good pitbull food for puppies is Nature’s Variety.
Nature’s Variety has the philosophy that good nutrition starts with natural ingredients and freeze-dry raw ingredients to preserve goodness.
This is a good quality food but the eagle-eyed amongst you will spot the first ingredient is a chicken meal, with an actual named meat only appearing fourth on the list after peas and chickpeas.
This makes this diet lean towards vegetable-based protein, but this isn’t too much of a worry as the quality ingredients do ensure it’s excellent for puppies.
Another key consideration is that this is a large breed food.
This matters to the pitbull puppy owner as you don’t want your dog growing too quickly and the bones outstripping the growth of blood supply to the cartilage lining the joints.
Nature’s Variety is great for puppies because when fed in the recommended amounts it encourages your exuberant little one to grow into an athletic adult with strong bones.
- This adult dry dog food promotes digestive health while nourishing skin
- A source of prebiotic fiber to support a balanced gut microbiome in your grown dog
- This dog food is formulated to be highly digestible for optimal nutrient absorption & easier stool pick-up
- Packed with vitamin E & Omega-6 fatty acids to help your grown dog get a lustrous coat and healthy skin
- Made in the USA with global ingredients you can trust
Moving on, your pitbull is through the puppy stage and you have a healthy active adult on your hands.
When shopping for pitbull dog food you want to feed a good quality food whilst being realistic about price.
Whilst farm-fresh ingredients or organically sourced are great in theory, in practice, these foods are expensive, especially as a dog can eat his way through a considerable amount in a short time.
This is where Hill’s Science diet comes in as a contender because it provides quality at a reasonable cost.
Indeed, Science Diet is well respected by vets and little wonder with the formula incorporating natural sources of glucosamine, chondroitin, and antioxidants, plus guaranteeing the quality and consistency of the ingredients.
This is the best food for Pitbulls who are regular pets and do not need an ultra-high protein diet.
Also, formulated for large dogs it is sympathetic to the specific mineral, vitamin, and protein requirements of the larger dog, so your pitbull gets all the nutrition he needs but without having to pile on the pounds.
If you’re looking for an affordable best pitbull food then Hill’s Science Diet is well worth considering as it is quality guaranteed with named meats and ingredients that are consistent from bag to bag.
- This adult dry dog food's #1 ingredient is chicken; high quality protein with wholesome grains like oatmeal
- Our crunchy kibble has no meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Expertly selected ingredients and added nutrients support immune health, energy levels, joint and bone health, and healthy skin and coat
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients
- Spend a lifetime with Wellness natural dog food; we offer recipes for puppy, adult, and senior dogs as well as grain free dog treats, meal toppers, and wet food options too
A trick to working out the difference between good and superb food is all about reading the label.
You want the ingredients list because if the meat is named then that’s what has to go in the bag, in contrast to ‘meat meal’ which can mean anything.
Of course, this makes the food more expensive because the manufacturer has to buy at the market price, rather than what’s cheap on the day.
If this sounds like the right sort of pitbull food for your dog then look no further than Wellness Complete.
As part of the price tag, you are buying into food that contains only premium, all-natural ingredients with no cheap bulking ingredients such as soy or wheat.
Instead Wellness Complete contains tasty ingredients that sound good enough for us to eat such as deboned chicken, whitefish, carrots, sweet potato, apples, and oatmeal.
All this is a complete dry kibble making it the best dry dog food for Pitbulls.
Wellness Complete is a dry kibble, which makes it the best dog food for pitbull as you have the convenience of storing several weeks of food easily and lends itself to being used as training treats.
- MVP K9 Formula Mass Weight Gainer For Dogs is formulated for skinny, underweight dogs to help pack on healthy weight fast. Each serving scoop contains 50% healthy fats for adding mass, 28% whey protein for size and muscle support and 18+ BCCA's for overall support. Results guaranteed. Made in the USA.
- Works Great for Skinny, Underweight, Picky Eaters - Formula Mass Weight Gainer works great for adding mass and weight on skinny underweight dogs of all breeds. Dogs love the taste which make it great for picky eaters. Also recommended for malnourished dogs. All Breed Formula Formulated - Labrador retrievers, German Shepherds, Bulldogs, Rottweilers, Boxers, Huskeys, Terriers, Pitbulls, Beagles, Great Danes, Border Collies, Frenchies and all other breeds.
- Promotes Muscle Growth & Energy - Each scoop of Formula Mass Weight Gainer contains whey protein and Creapure that have been proven scientifically to help support muscle growth.
- No Fillers, No Salts, No Sugars - Formula Mass Weight Gainer contains useless fillers or additives, just the key ingredients for helping improving weight gain and size in your dog.
- Weight Gain Results Guaranteed - We stand behind our product 100%. Read our review from satisfied customers. MVP K9 cares about our customers and want you to get the results you're seeking. With that said we offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee on products. If you aren't satisfied contact us for a full refund. However please reach out to us first as we offer free nutritional and exercise advise to help you get the results you're wanting. No other company does this.
It might be your dog is a finicky eater, he’s a working dog or a female dog nursing pups, there are occasions where your pitbull needs the best dog food for pitbull to gain weight.
If you struggle to get your dog to gain weight then this high protein dog food for Pitbulls could be the answer.
Mass Weight Gainer is a blend of easy to digest proteins, carbohydrates, and fats that provide concentrated nutrition but without the bulk.
The product is designed to be sprinkled twice daily onto the dog’s existing diet to give an added boost.
It is suitable for both adults and puppies, and the high protein levels ensure a glossy coat which sheds less.
The product has many satisfied users, with owners of nursing dogs that have lost condition whilst feeding pups being impressed by the ‘miracle’ likeability of Mass Weight Gainer to put condition back on to their dog.
As well as being a pitbull food to gain muscle reviewers are also impressed by the customer service given by the company.
- Helps build canine muscle mass
- 20 grams of protein in every serving
- Increases canine strength
- Raises dog immune system
- Improved over all health & living
For the pitbull athlete that needs to throw his muscle around the Gorilla Max Protein Muscle supplement is the best dog food for Pitbulls to gain muscles.
This protein-dense supplement helps your dog to gain lean muscle mass, which in turn builds up his endurance and strength.
This is a supplement, meaning that you feed additional protein but without overloading with calories.
Of course, protein is also vital for a healthy immune system, so using Gorilla Max also helps your dog’s overall health and well-being.
Be aware that this is the best pitbull food for muscle and as such is suitable for dogs with high energy demands such as canine athletes, those living outdoors in harsh weather, or those in active training.
For maximum benefit for your dog’s long term health, make sure that the dog does not become overweight.
It is easy to confuse the bulk of muscle with a layer of fat cover, and to avoid this trap always be sure that you can feel your dog’s ribs.
So there we have it. From puppy or family pet to canine pitbull athlete there is a top-rated pitbull food that will match the individual dietary requirements for your dog.
When looking for the best pitbull dog food for your four-legged, pay close attention to the ingredients.
And remember, how much you feed matters almost as much as what you feed.
Keep your pitbull lean and healthy for a long, happy, and active life for many more years to come.