Is your little Dachshund the apple of your eye? A little snuggle nugget that you’d do anything for? Well, as a responsible and loving dog owner – you likely know that looking after the health of your short-legged doxie is the very best thing you can do for him.
But what does that involve? Well, it’s a combination of a few things. First, you need to feed him the best dog food for Dachshunds, because, we all know; you are what you eat! A balanced diet with the right combination of protein, fats, and minerals is vital not only for a growing pup – but an adult sausage dog too.
And then – you need to keep him fit, with an exercise regime that takes into consideration their susceptibility to spinal problems.
Best Dog Food for Dachshunds
Nutro Wholesome Essentials provides a delicious meal for your dachshund – one that satisfied, is delicious, and most importantly easily digestible.
- Flavors Available – Farm-raised chicken and grass-fed lamb
- Main Nutrients – Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- Easy to Digest – YES
- Why We Recommend – Packed with nutrients, the main ingredient is farm-raised chicken or grass-fed lamb
Dachshund dog food needs to meet these criteria due to the elongated digestive tract of these pooches and the Nutro Wholesome Essentials Dry Food for Dogs meets all of them.
Whether you choose lamb or chicken as your flavor, you can rest assured that you are feeding your doggie the best. The main ingredient is either farm-raised chicken or grass-fed lamb, so you are sure that this food is packed with high-quality protein to build healthy muscle.
It is also enriched with Omega 3 & 6, so you know your pooch is getting all the healthy fats that make their coat nice, soft, and shiny. Rice also features in the ingredients list, providing an excellent source of complex carbs, which will help your pooch have a steady stream of energy throughout the day.
A healthy puppy is a happy puppy, and this product has all the building blocks of a healthy diet for your dachshund.
- Made from farm-raised chicken, rice, and sweet potato
- Made with non-GMO ingredients
- High in nutrients
- Contains Omega 3 & 6 fatty acids
- Promotes healthy skin and a soft coat
- Higher price point
- Made in a facility that is not free from GMO ingredients and there might be some contact
Nutro is made with non-GMO ingredients; however, the facility in which it’s made is not GMO-free, so some contact might be possible. Also, the lamb flavor has chicken meal added to it, and if your dog has sensitivities to chicken, this may not be the brand for you.
- Contains (1) 12 Pound Bag of Dry Dog Food
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient
- Formulated for adult dogs 30 pounds and under with smaller sized kibble for smaller mouths
- Nutrient dense sweet potatoes and pumpkin are grain-free sources of carbohydrates for energy
- No added corn, wheat, soy, artificial colors or flavors
If you are looking for dry dog food for your dachshund that is grain-free where nutrient-packed yummy vegetables supply carbohydrates, look no further than Nature’s Recipe.
- Flavors Available – Chicken and lamb
- Main Nutrients – High-quality protein, nutrients from vegetables
- Easy to Digest – YES
- Why We Recommend – This is a grain-free option; real meat is the #1 ingredient in both flavors
Made with real meat as the #1 ingredient and fortified with vitamins, minerals, and nutrients, this food will keep your puppy healthy and having tons of energy for play. With ingredients like these, who needs artificial colors or flavors?
You certainly won’t find those in this product and neither you will find preservatives. Nature’s Recipe really does live up to its name.
Special care is taken so that no animal by-products are included in the manufacturing of this food. So you can be sure that your pooch is not eating remnants of bone or chicken feathers when you feed them this product.
Nature’s Recipe also do not use any fillers in their process, so your beloved pet is only eating a 100% nutritional yumminess. With a dachshund’s sensitive digestive tract, you want to make sure that nothing is hiding in your dog’s food and this product will put your mind to rest.
- Grain-free product
- Natural dog food with added vitamins, minerals, and nutrients
- No animal by-products and no fillers
- Real meat is the #1 ingredient
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Above-average carbohydrate content compared to other dry dog food
Nature’s Recipe is made with bite-size pieces that will be easy for your dachshund to break down and chew on. Chewing is the first step of digestion, and the thorough breakdown of food in the mouth lends itself to easy digestion henceforth.
$15.69 in stock
- Small breed dry dog food: Optimal protein levels and calorie content to help support the higher energy needs of small breed dogs
- Enjoy a lifetime of wellbeing: High quality proteins and wholesome grains are expertly balanced to deliver a complete diet packed with the nutrients small breed dogs needs to thrive; No meat byproducts, fillers, or artificial preservatives
- Whole body health: Supported by omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics and taurine for a healthy heart
- Find the right food: Wellness offers a full range of foods to support your dog’s specific needs, including grained and grain free options, high protein recipes and limited ingredient diets for dogs with food sensitivities
- Made in the USA using only the finest globally sourced ingredients, we prepare each of our diets in our own state of the art facility; we craft delicious natural recipes with wholesome, non GMO ingredients chosen for their nutritional benefits
Wellness CORE comes in an interesting flavor, and this is one of the reasons why it caught our attention. It’s always nice to mix things up, even for your dachshund – you might discover that he has a love for wild game, after all, his ancestors were once wild.
- Flavors Available – Turkey & Chicken and Wild Game: Duck, Turkey, Boar & Rabbit
- Main Nutrients – High-quality protein, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Omega Fatty Acids
- Easy to Digest – YES
- Why We Recommend – Interesting flavors available
The uniqueness of flavor is not the only reason why this dog food made the list. With high-quality protein aiding an active lifestyle, Glucosamine Hydrochloride and Chondroitin Sulfate to promote hip and joint care, and Omega Fatty Acids for a shiny coat, it features one of the most balanced nutrient profiles available on the dog food market.
It contains no additives and fillers, and you can rest assured that your dog will not be eating any undesired wheat, corn, soy, or meat by-products that may potentially irritate the sensitive digestive tract of a dachshund. Moreover, there are no artificial colors and flavors, or preservatives.
Backed by the Wellness Guarantee, you can be sure that you are giving your beloved fur-baby the right nutrition that is not only easy to digest but will keep them happy and healthy for years to come.
- Formulated with quality protein for high energy needs
- Supports healthy hip and joint care
- Promotes a soft and shiny coat
- No additives, flavors, or preservatives
- Optimal calorie levels
- Backed by the Wellness Guarantee
- No wheat, corn, soy, meat by-products
- Can be a little hard for smaller mouths to chew on and break down
Wellness CORE can be a little harder to chew so if your dachshund has sensitive gums, a softer dry food would be a better option.
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of IAMS Proactive health Adult Minichunks Dry Dog Food Chicken
- 1st ingredient is real, farm-raised chicken, and features smaller kibble size
- Promotes healthy digestion with a tailored blend of wholesome fibers and prebiotics
- Builds strong muscles with quality protein sourced from real chicken
- Supports a strong immune system with antioxidants
IAMs Proactive Health specializes in optimal health for your pooch.
- Flavors Available – Chicken
- Main Nutrients – Quality protein, L-carnitine, Omega 6, 7 nutrients for heart health, prebiotics
- Easy To Digest – YES
- Why We Recommend – Aids fat burning for optimal metabolism features 7 nutrients that specifically promote heart health
Containing prebiotics, this dry food will make it even easier for your dachshund to digest his food properly. But this is not where it stops.
In addition to regular nutrients found in high-quality dog food, like Omega Fatty Acids, quality protein, wholesome grains, and fruit and vegetables, this product also features L-carnitine to help your puppy burn fat and maintain optimal metabolism.
The #1 ingredient and source of protein in this kibble is chicken, but protein is also sourced from eggs. This will ensure that your dachshund builds strong muscles to enjoy a healthy active lifestyle.
As usual with dry food, some trial and error may be required because some kibble can be harder than others and it’s important to find a dry food hardness that fits your puppy’s gums and mouth.
- Protein sourced from quality chicken and egg
- Promotes heart health with 7 essential nutrients
- Helps speed up metabolism and burn fat
- Contains Omega Fatty Acids for a healthy coat
- Comes with a satisfaction guarantee or your money back
- Does not contain wheat, soy, or artificial preservatives
- Only one flavor available in this range
- Mini-chunks can be a little hard to chew on
- Can cause diarrhea in some dogs
The downside of the IAMs Proactive Health Dry Food is that it only comes in one flavor and if your pooch is sensitive to chicken, as some are, this product will be out of the question for you.
- 40 lb. Bag – Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Made with high-quality protein sources, including real lamb as the #1 ingredient
- Omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals help support healthy skin and coat
- Dual-defense antioxidant blend supports a strong immune system
- Natural sources of glucosamine to help maintain healthy joints.Calorie Content (fed):3972 kcal/kg
Brighter eyes, a healthier coat, more energy, dental health, and digestibility are what is promised by Purina after 28 days of regularly feeding the Purina One to your pooch.
- Flavors Available – Chicken & Rice, Lamb & Rice
- Main Nutrients – High-quality protein, Omega Fatty Acids, Glucosamine
- Easy to Digest – YES
- Why We Recommend – Vet recommended – based on an internal survey of US veterinarians in 2017
This is due to their “SmartBlend” of nutrients ranging from high-quality protein from chicken or lamb, Omega Fatty Acids, and Glucosamine, making this dog food nutrient-packed and a great choice for your dachshund.
Made with shredded meat, your pooch will not be able to resist this dry food as it will satisfy their natural craving for real meat. It contains no additives, fillers, or artificial flavors and is recommended by Vets as per a 2017 internal survey of US veterinarians.
This product may cause digestive sensitivities due to some lower grade ingredients. Whereas the benefits of this dry food are not to be disputed, as always, we encourage you to consult with your vet and to closely watch how your pooch reacts to this food.
- Made with shredded meat
- No artificial colors or flavors added
- Vet Recommended
- Promotes healthy skin and coat, brighter eyes, and more energy
- Contains corn, wheat, animal by-products
- Can cause some digestive sensitivities
- Dogs can become overweight eating this product
We want to give our beloved pets all the help they can get with optimal nutrition. This dry food rises to the task. As a natural source of Glucosamine, Purina One will keep your dachshund’s hips and joints strong and healthy.
Dachshunds are a breed that needs support in this department due to the elongated shape of their body that rests on shorter legs.
Our top pick has to be Nutro! While designed for larger breeds, the nutrition provided is perfect for a Dachshund – although you do need to adjust serving sizes based on the size of your little pooch!
With bone-strengthening ingredients, this calcium-rich food will help to keep your Dachshunds spine in tip-top health for the long-term!
For all other breed-specific and specialty diet foods you can find them here, https://dogstruggles.com/best-food/.
Best Food for Dachshunds
Finding the best food for your beloved dachshund doesn't need to be difficult! Read through these detailed reviews before choosing.
- Nature's Recipe
- Wellness CORE
- Iams ProActive
- Purina ONE