When it comes to finding the best dog food for German Shorthaired Pointer dogs, find one that is full of protein and made for medium/large dogs or all-stages food. Consider one made for dogs with sensitive stomachs as these dogs are known to bloat.
These sweet, family-oriented dogs do not thrive on your end of the mill, generic dog food; they need something substantial sure to revitalize and replenish their energy. These guys are seriously active and burn energy like crazy.
Sometimes finding the right dog food can be such a pain, first of all, finding something that works well with your breed can be time-consuming, but that is just the start, at the end of the day your dog makes the choice, if they do not eat what you provide, it’s back to the start.
5 Best Dog Foods for German Shorthaired Pointers
- Age Range Description: Adult
Why feed your dog something you wouldn’t eat? Of course, we are not expecting you to eat dog food, but suggesting that your dog too should eat high-quality food that is both delicious and for their greater health, not the McDonald’s version of dog food.
- Flavor – Buffalo Sweet Potato
- Size – 4, 12 & 25 lbs
- Why We Recommend – Uses high-quality ingredients and uses local growers.
What we love about Merrick is that they use a lot of meat and found within the first five ingredients. In addition to Buffalo, this food contains chicken meal and salmon meal. Our GSP friends need a high level of protein to sustain their ever-present energy and Merrick certainly provides. And is it just me or does buffalo and sweet potatoes sound delicious?!
In addition to making quality food for our doggies, Merrick uses local growers to make their foods. This means fresher products, and less fuel used for transportation.
Furthermore, by using local growers, they are supporting the local economy, something we see less and less these days. Merrick helps us be more conscious consumers while providing the best for our pups – food full of protein and farm-fresh fruits and veggies.
While protein is a key ingredient in dog food, it is also vital to consider your breeds health risks. GSP dogs face several hereditary disorders including hip dysplasia and skin disorders. Despite being hereditary, the food they eat can make a major difference as far as prevention.
- Promotes healthy hips & joints
- Supports local growers
- Good for healthy skin and coats
- Quality ingredients
- Doesn’t claim to be GMO-free (likely to have them)
- Some dogs have experienced bad gas
Merrick is a great option for this breed as it is full of Omega 6 and Omega 3 fatty acids which contribute to healthy skin and coats as well it is packed full of glucosamine and chondroitin which promotes healthy hips and joints.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
- MORE SALMON IS COMING: An evolution of your dog’s formula with more salmon than ever, plus wholesome grains
- PACKED WITH REAL SALMON: A recipe inspired by the rugged Alaskan wilderness, this high protein dog food features a blend of wild salmon, venison and halibut to satisfy your dog’s wild side while helping your dog build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- ANTIOXIDANT-RICH LIFESOURCE BITS: A precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage needs and a healthy oxidative balance
- A NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is made with the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; BLUE contains NO chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
As pet owners, at times it feels as though we know more about our dog than the vet or dog food producers – we understand our dog’s unique habits and have a good sense of what they need or when they are unwell.
This is why we love Blue Buffalo, their inspiration to start, was from their very own dog. As loving dog owners, they wanted to create a special product that owners all around would feel good about serving, food made with the same care put in as their own meals.
- Flavor – Wild salmon, venison & halibut
- Size – 4 & 22 lbs
- Why We Recommend – We love that this company was inspired by the owner’s dog.
We recommend the Denali Dinner for your active GSP, it is packed full of protein and grain-free, and is inspired by a wolves diet and hunting. Considering that this breed is used as hunting and gun dogs, this inspired diet will fulfill their active lifestyles.
With wild salmon, venison, halibut, and crab meal your dog will get his fair share of protein while licking his bowl clean, maybe I’m just a seafood junkie, but this meal is working up my appetite, and will sure to please your dog too!
German Shorthaired Pointers are highly intelligent and athletic dogs, they make for fantastic service dogs and excel in AKC sports such as agility, dock diving, and obedience. While professional trainers use special techniques to teach dogs these skills, we know that treats are a great tactic for training.
- Inspired by a wolves diet
- Also comes in treats, biscuits, and STIX in the same flavor
- Some buyers noticed batches were different
- Uses a lot of ingredients
Lucky for you, the Denali Dinner also comes in the form of treats, biscuits, and STIX. No worries about fattening your dog or messing up his diet when training can include food you know they already do well with!
Taste of the Wild
- Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream with SMOKE-FLAVORED SALMON dry dog food; REAL FISH is the #1 ingredient; high-protein (32%) to help support bones, joints and LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- Nutrient-rich and provides the energy to thrive; vitamins and minerals from SUPERFOODS; omega fatty acids for healthy SKIN and COAT
- Each serving includes high levels of species-specific, K9 Strain PROPRIETARY PROBIOTICS — plus antioxidants and prebiotics — to help support healthy digestion, immune system and overall health and wellness
- FAMILY-OWNED and MADE in the USA using quality ingredients from trusted domestic and global sources
German Shorthaired Pointers need food that sustains them; these guys burn energy almost as fast as they run and tend to dehydrate easily due to their high activity.
In addition to being on top of providing them with lots of water, it is key to find food rich in vitamins and minerals that your dog can easily absorb. We love Taste of the Wild because they use chelated minerals to ensure your dog intakes the full value of the food.
- Flavor – Salmon
- Size – 5, 15 & 30 lbs
- Why We Recommend – Uses chelated minerals for optimal nutritional absorption
What makes this meal so good for our GSP friends is that it is very digestible, considering they are prone to bloating we always suggest finding food they can easily process.
Doggies these days are domesticated; however, there will always be a primal and wild side to them no matter how obedient they are. This is not a bad thing and does not suggest they are aggressive; it is simply their nature and part of their DNA.
An excellent way to allow them to feel wild and full of energy is to feed them wild meats full of protein. Taste of the Wild offers food with meats you don’t often see in dog foods, with animals you’d typically find in the wild. Options include wild boar, buffalo, smoked salmon and turkey, and roasted bison, lamb, quail, venison, and duck which provides optimal energy, necessary for our speedy friends.
- Easy to digest
- Great flavors
- Have chelated minerals
- Uses sodium selenite
- Has canola oil is first few ingredients
Whether or not they will become in tune with their wild side eating these meats by Taste of the Wild, they will certainly make your dog very happy with their wide range of flavors.
Natural Balance L.I.D.
- Contains (1) 26 pound bag of dry dog food
- Grain-free, limited ingredient diet with a single animal protein source
- Helps minimize the number of ingredients dogs are exposed to
- Maintains digestive health
- Supports healthy skin and a shiny coat
To achieve optimal health, it is recommended to eat out less and cook more because this allows us to have greater control of the ingredients used and we know exactly what is going into our bellies. Many dog foods are packed full of ingredients we have never heard of, and we easily lose track of what we are even feeding our furry friends.
Natural Balance is made with specific proteins and carbohydrates so we know exactly what we are feeding pups – potatoes and duck, pure products that can be found in nature. There is something satisfying about feeding your dog food he would find in the wild.
- Flavor – Potato and Duck
- Size – 4.5, 12, 13, 24 & 26 lbs
- Why We Recommend – We like that 9 safety tests are used before food is distributed
This food supports healthy skin and coats, as well as allows for better digestion which translates to more energy. With no grains, and simple ingredients your dog can better digest the food and ultimately have more energy.
Digestion takes a lot of energy, and it takes even more energy when the food is not pure or good. We like this food because it is made with more natural products and your GSP can use his energy in a more productive way such as running!
Considering that GSP’s face issues with bloating, it is good to find food that is simple and easy to digest. Overall, this food is very clean, easy to digest, and has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives which makes this great German Shorthaired Pointer food.
- Safety tests were done
- Easy to digest
- Limited ingredients
- Has peas (common dog allergy)
These days buying dog food can be scary, as there have been one too many recalls. Rest assure, Natural Balances does 9 safety tests by microbiologists and chemists with results shared online. These extra precautionary steps help keep this food clean and safe. Furthermore, since this diet is limited, there are fewer ingredients your dog will be exposed to.
Purina Pro Plan
- One (1) 34 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan Joint Health Large Breed Dog Food, Shredded Blend Chicken & Rice Formula
- Crunchy kibble combined with tender, shredded pieces for taste and texture dogs love. High protein formula, with real chicken as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health. Used to be known as SAVOR Shredded Blend Large Breed Formula
- Glucosamine and EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, for joint health and mobility. High level of protein, combined with proper exercise, helps promote muscle conditioning
- Natural prebiotic fiber nourishes specific intestinal bacteria for digestive health. 26 percent protein and 12 percent fat to maintain an ideal weight and body condition
Just like us humans, dogs don’t just want the same old meal every single day. Sure they might put up with it, dogs, after all, will eat nearly anything, but have you ever wondered why they get so darn excited over treats, human food, cat food, and everything aside from their food?
Maybe it is tastier for them, but a huge part of it is likely the novelty of something different than the food they eat day in, day out.
- Flavor – Chicken & rice
- Size – 18 and 34 lbs
- Why We Recommend – Pro plan comes in many flavors
Once we find a company we both like, it is best to stick with it. So we love it when we find a dog food brand that has many flavors to experiment with, this is why we enjoy the Purina Pro Plan. Choose from chicken & rice, beef & rice, salmon & rice, and lamb & rice. Plus, with the kibble and shredded pieces, your dog will certainly enjoy the variety within each meal.
What we love about Pro Plan is that there are five specialized nutritional options to choose from based on your breed’s level of activity, dietary needs, lifestyle, age, and taste preferences. Options are Savor, Bright Mind, Natural, Focus, and Sport.
For GSP’s we suggest Focus, our furry friends tend to face issues with bloating, and this formula is made for doggies with sensitive stomachs, with no corn, wheat, or soy your pups can continue his day-to-day life without feeling sluggish with a bloated belly. Furthermore, all of the Pro Plan products contain prebiotic fiber which will help with digestion. No more stomach problems with these meals!
- Many flavors to choose from
- Specialized nutritional options
- Uses wheat
- Uses corn
- Uses soy
- Choose the Focus Pro Plan if you want to avoid wheat, corn, and soy.
German Shorthaired Pointers are active guys; they need all the protein they can get. Thus, it is important to find a food that comes with multiple sources of meat.
The Purina Pro Plan understands that protein is a key ingredient when it comes to making good, sustainable dog food, their first ingredient is always the meat, and always includes animal fat and fish meal.
For German Shorthaired Pointer dog food sure to be tasty, healthy, and sustainable we choose Merrick Buffalo Sweet Potato as our winner of the best German Shorthaired dog food.
We love that Merrick uses local growers to source their fruits and veggies, we are all for making more environmentally friendly choices.
We also believe this is a great product for German Shorthaired Pointers because it uses Omega 3 & 6 to promote healthy skin and coats as well, their use of glucosamine and chondroitin to promotes healthy hips and joints make this food a winner. GSPs are prone to skin problems and may face hip dysplasia. This formula helps prevent these issues from arising in the future.
It is not just us that love this food, but the dogs love this stuff too. It is full of protein and very delicious. You and your German Shorthaired Pointer will not be disappointed.
5 Best Dog Food for German Shorthaired Pointer
Here are the ratings for the top 5 dog foods for German Shorthaired pointers.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Taste of the Wild
Natural Balance L.I.D.
Purina Pro Plan