Arthritis can be defined as the inflammation of joints. It occurs when there are wear and tear of cartilage which is found at the end of bones. Cartilage helps prevent friction between bones enhancing mobility. Glucosamine present in synovial fluids stimulates chondrocytes to produce cartilage.
As dogs age, their ability to produce glucosamine is greatly reduced. This leads to wearing off of the cartilage over time causing bones to rub against each other. Arthritic changes found in affected dogs include joint pain and swelling, lameness, difficulty rising from rest, slow gait, etc.
Arthritis is incurable. Management is geared towards relieving symptoms and improving the quality of life of the dog. It should be carried forward all through the dog’s life. This includes the use of supplements, diet, and medication.
Best Dog Food for Dogs with Arthritis
Hill'S Prescription Diet Mobility
- Vitamins E & C, Lipoic Acid, and Beta Carotene help defend cells against free radical oxidation and counteract inflammation
Hills Science Mobility is a dry food for adult large breeds of dogs. It’s made from chicken and rice recipes. It also contains fish oils, glucosamine, and chondroitin. It specifically formulated to aid in mobility. It comes highly recommended by veterinarians.
- It contains chondroitin which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve pain in arthritic dogs. It also helps in the repair of cartilage.
- Glucosamine also contained in the food is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain and swelling. It works synergistically with chondroitin.
- Fish oils are high in Omega 3 essential fatty acids which help in reducing inflammation (pain and swelling). They also help to suppress the immune system which is beneficial in cases of rheumatoid arthritis.
- It’s also high in fiber which helps to reduce bowel problems such as indigestion, constipation, and diarrhea common with senior dogs.
- It contains essential vitamins that help promote healthy growth of skin, hair, and nails.
- Improves mobility within 30 days
- It contains no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives.
- Made from high-quality protein (lean muscle) which is easily digestible.
- Recommended by veterinarians.
- Only suitable for large dog breeds over 55 pounds.
- Has a strong smell
- Price is a bit on the higher side.
Hill’s Science Diet Healthy Mobility is recommended for large dog breeds with joint degenerative diseases such as arthritis and hip dysplasia.
It is enriched with glucosamine and chondroitin which are natural anti-inflammatory at agents that help to relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling. They also help to maintain the integrity of cartilage, therefore, preventing the progression of arthritic changes within the joints. It is easily digestible.
- One (1) 26 Pound Bag: Avoderm Natural Large Breed Chicken Meal & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food
- Promotes Healthy Skin & Coat: Premium Natural Dry Dog Food Made With California Avocados To Promote Healthy Skin, Coat, Immune System And Overall Health
- Crafted For Large Breed Dogs: Made With Chondroitin Sulfate And Glucosamine Supports And Maintain Large Breed Joints As They Grow
- All Natural Ingredients: Wheat Free, Corn Free And Soy Free. No By-Products Meals, No Artificial Flavors, Colors Or Preservatives
- Nutrient & Protein Rich: Large Breeds Will Benefit From Our Blend Of Easy-To-Digest Vitamins, Minerals And Antioxidants. Premium Proteins Provide A Taste They'Ll Love
Avoderm is a naturally formulated pressure cooked dog food specifically for both small and large breed senior dogs. It is packed with nutrients including 20 types of vitamins, minerals, and Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids. It also contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine supplements. Avocados, a well-known superfood forms the key ingredient.
- It contains glucosamine which helps to protect cartilage from wear and tear preventing occurrence and progress of arthritis. It is also a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint swelling, pain, and stiffness common in joint degenerative diseases such as arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- Chorondtin sulfate works together with glucosamine to inhibit enzymes that cause decomposition of cartilage. It also assists in the speedy formation of new cartilage. This is essential in stopping the process of arthritis as well as its prevention.
- Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids present helps in lowering blood triglyceride levels a common cause of heart disease in senior dogs. They also contain anti-inflammatory which helps to relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling in cases of arthritis. It also promotes the growth of healthy hair and skin.
- Omega 6 fatty acids also have anti-inflammatory properties that help relieve joint stiffness, pain, and swelling in rheumatoid arthritis. Additionally, they help in the prevention of heart diseases, relieving nerve pain, and bone health.
- It can be eaten by both small and large dog breeds.
- Can cause flatulence in some dogs
AvoDerm is highly recommended for senior dogs suffering from arthritis as it contains chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine which are choice supplements essential for relieving joint pain and stiffness and swelling.
Blue Buffalo Basics
- STARTS WITH REAL TURKEY: A recipe that starts with real turkey as the first ingredient, this dry dog food features a single animal protein source along with potatoes, peas and pumpkin to support gentle digestion in senior dogs.
- LIMITED INGREDIENT SENIOR DOG FOOD: BLUE Basics is a limited ingredient diet that doesn’t contain any chicken, beef, corn, wheat, soy, dairy or eggs making it a good option senior dogs with food sensitivities. Plus, it contains carefully balanced protein and carbohydrates to help your dog maintain an ideal body weight while providing the energy senior dogs need to stay active.
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals carefully selected by holistic veterinarians and animal nutritionists to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance.
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food is formulated for the health and well-being of your senior dog and features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals. It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Contains (1) 24lb bag of BLUE Basics Limited Ingredient Diet, Natural Senior Dry Dog Food, Turkey & Potato
This is a dry dog food specifically designed for senior dogs. It is made from deboned turkey, potatoes, and pumpkins. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin and also enriched with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is grain-free and contains no preservatives, flavorings, dairy, and eggs.
- It contains glucosamine, a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to joint pain, swelling, and stiffness. It also helps in the growth and repair of bone cartilage which helps to reduce friction within joints.
- Chondroitin acts synergistically with glucosamine in maintaining the integrity of bone cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage it. It is also an anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain and stiffness.
- It’s made from deboned turkey a form of lean protein that is easily digestible as senior dogs are prone to bowel problems. Protein is also essential for maintaining healthy muscles.
- It also contains pumpkins containing high fiber which help ease bowel problems. Pumpkins have low calorific content making it good for obese senior dogs.
- It is also packed with omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids which anti-inflammatory properties, helps to boost immunity as well as promote healthy skin and hair coat. They are also useful in the prevention of heart diseases by lowering blood triglyceride levels and increase high-density lipids.
- It also contains essential proteins and carbohydrates which are metabolized to produce energy.
- It also contains taurine which helps to promote heart health.
- May cause flatulence.
This Blue Buffalo not only helps relieve arthritic symptoms but also promote healthy skin and hair coat as well as prevent heart disease. It easily digestible and provide essential vitamins, fatty acids, and amino acids.
Diamond Naturals SENIOR
$36.99 in stock
- High quality protein made with real CAGE FREE chicken, to maintain ideal body condition for senior dog; added Glucosamine & Chondroitin for joints
- A natural food with added vitamins & minerals; fruits, vegetables & SUPERFOODS for natural ANTIOXIDANTS; fatty acid blend for SKIN & coat for seniors
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible with PROPRIETARY, senior species specific probiotics that survive and thrive in the GI tract; at levels
- Family owned & run, MADE in the USA choosing ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; Call with questions 800 442 0402
- No corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, or preservatives added; lid diet for seniors; made with scientifically advanced food safety protocols. No soy
Diamond Naturals Senior a dry food formulated specifically for senior dogs. It’s made from cage-free chicken providing high-quality protein, fruits, and vegetables for essential minerals and vitamins and probiotics. It also contains glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate supplements. It’s free of corn and wheat.
- Glucosamine has natural anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve arthritic symptoms such as joint pain, stiffness, and swelling.
- Chondroitin sulfate works together with glucosamine to promote healthy growth of cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage the cartilage. It also has anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve symptoms of arthritis.
- It’s made from cage-free chicken high in protein that helps to maintain muscle tissue. It is also easily digestible and keeps your senior dog active and fit.
- It contains Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids that have anti-inflammatory properties as well as promote healthy growth of the skin and hair.
- It also contains antioxidants derived from vegetables and fruits that help prevent inflammation and protect tissue cells from injury from free radicals.
- It also contains highly digestible probiotics that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which enhances digestion.
- High in vitamin E and selenium promote healthy growth of skin, nails, and hair and also acts as antioxidants.
- It’s also high in fiber from pumpkin, chia seeds, and coconut which helps prevent bowel problems such as constipation, diarrhea, and indigestion common with senior dogs.
- Suitable for hyperallergic dogs as its corn and wheat free.
- Should be introduced slowly in the diet to avoid stomach upsets.
Diamond Naturals Senior is a superfood packed with valuable vitamins and minerals that help promote joint and muscle health, bowel movement, and boost immunity.
Instinct Raw Boost
- High-protein, grain-free kibble plus freeze dried raw pieces provides a nutrient rich diet and pure nutrition for digestive health
- Natural ingredients with added vitamins and minerals, No artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- Grain-free and gluten-free nutrition, no corn, no wheat, no soy, no fillers
- Glucosamine and chondroitin to support healthy hips and joints, Natural DHA to help support eye and brain health
- Healthy Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids for a soft and shiny coat, probiotics to support healthy digestion
Instinct Raw Boost is a highly nutritious kibble made from raw dried ingredients. It’s rich in minerals, vitamins, glucosamine, chondroitin, essential fatty acids, antioxidants, lean protein, and probiotics. It is also gluten-free and grain-free. It’s formulated for senior dogs.
- It contains glucosamine which is a natural anti-inflammatory agent that helps to relieve joint pain, stiffness, and swelling common in arthritis.
- Chondroitin sulfate works together with glucosamine to maintain the integrity of cartilage within the joints as well as promote new growth of cartilage.
- All ingredients are raw dried therefore maintaining their nutritional value.
- It’s made from lean protein which is easily digestible and helps maintain good muscle health.
- It contains Omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids that help promote good health of the skin, nails, and fur. They also help decrease triglyceride blood levels which have been linked to heart diseases.
- Contain probiotics that promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the gut which aid in digestion.
- Suitable for dogs that are allergic to gluten or grains.
- Contain natural docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) which supports brain and nerve development.
- Contains no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- It contains vitamin C and E which act as antioxidants, boosts immunity, and promote healthy growth of the skin, hair, and nails.
- High in fiber which ad in bowel movement.
- It can be fed to both large and small breed senior dogs.
- The price is a bit on the higher side.
Instinct Raw Boost kibble food is highly nutritious with all ingredients raw dried to maintain nutritional value. It’s recommended for arthritic dogs due to the high amount of glucosamine and chondroitin contained. It also contains a variety of nutrients promoting the good general health of senior dogs.
Food recommended for arthritic dogs should contain valuable amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin which help reduce inflammation associated with arthritis as well as promote new growth of bone cartilage by inhibiting enzymes that damage the cartilage.
The presence of essential fatty acids and antioxidants is an additional advantage since it also helps fight inflammation, boosts immunity, fights off skin infections, and promote healthy growth of hair. The food should also be easily digestible by ensuring it contains high fiber content and lean proteins as senior dogs often have gastrointestinal problems. This will also help in preventing cases of obesity.
A new diet should be introduced slowly over time to allow time for the gut to adjust therefore preventing cases of constipation, indigestion, and diarrhea. Providing such a kibble diet should however not replace the use of medication prescribed for arthritic dogs but be administered concurrently. Regular exercise is also encouraged to prevent muscle atrophy.
Best Dog Food for Dogs with Arthritis
With a specific diet alleviating the pain of arthritis in our dogs can be managed.
Hill's Science Diet Mobility
Blue Buffalo Basics
Diamond Naturals SENIOR
Instinct Raw Boost