Bull Terriers were originally bred to fight, but they have been known to be friendly and people-loving, which does well for an at-home pet.
Being a good owner means to understand the best dog food for a Bull Terrier, whether you already have one or are looking to adopt a terrier puppy.
If you have a Bull Terrier, you can feed them large breed or medium breed dog food. However, Terriers have a higher risk of gaining excessive weight, so you should stick with low-fat food. The fats that you need to feed them should come from fish or animal sources.
Bull Terriers also get allergies easily, so feed them a diet with a few types of protein sources. The best food for your Bull Terrier will depend on weight, health, age, budget, and activity level.
5 Best Dog Foods for Bull Terriers
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
- PACKED WITH REAL CHICKEN: A recipe made to satisfy your dog’s natural love for meat, this high protein dog food features real chicken to help build and maintain lean muscle mass
- HEALTHY INGREDIENTS: BLUE Wilderness grain free dog food, made with healthy carbohydrates, including sweet potatoes and peas, helps fuel your adult dog’s active lifestyle; It also contains omega 3 & 6 fatty acids to support skin and coat health
- WITH LIFESOURCE BITS: This formula contains BLUE’s exclusive LifeSource Bits – a precise blend of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to support immune system health, life stage requirements, and a healthy oxidative balance
- NATURAL DOG FOOD: BLUE dry dog food features the finest natural ingredients enhanced with vitamins and minerals; It never contains chicken (or poultry) by-product meals, corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors or preservatives
- Contains one (1) 24-lb bag of BLUE Wilderness High Protein, Natural Adult Dry Dog Food, Chicken
BLUE Buffalo contains natural ingredients enhanced with a blend of minerals, vitamins, and kibbles, which are rich in antioxidants. All these nutrients are processed at a lower temperature to preserve potency and help prevent dehydration.
- Nutritional Information – Protein – 34%, fat – 15%, fibre – 6%
- Weight – 24 pounds
- Why It’s Recommended – This food will give your Bullterrier high-quality real meat they were born to love.
Whichever life stage your terrier is in, BLUE Buffalo will cater to their needs. The Life Source Bits will support your terrier’s immune system and healthy oxidative requirements.
The BLUE Wilderness recipe has real chicken, salmon, duck, and other high-quality proteins to meet the energy requirements for your terrier for a healthy lifestyle.
For your terrier’s cognitive development, DHA ingredients are present in this dry food. If your terrier is a large and senior dog, their mobility and joints will be supported by the glucosamine and chondroitin.
Bull Terriers are like wolves in the wild who hunt for unique meats. BLUE Wilderness mimics their ancestral diet by providing recipes that will appeal to the wild side of your terrier. These include tasty, high protein bison, quail, halibut, venison, and rabbit. This grain-free recipe balances calories and carbohydrates to support the daily dietary needs of your terrier.
- Satisfies the wild side of your terrier.
- Gives your terrier a glossy coat and a shiny skin.
- Supports the immune system and all the life stage needs for your terrier.
- There is no chicken by-product meals, no corn, no wheat, and no soy.
- No artificial flavors and preservatives in this food.
- May cause diarrhea in some dogs.
- This food may contain high lead levels which may cause vomiting in some dogs.
- Some dogs may become lethargic and experience breathing problems.
BLUE Buffalo also contains wholesome veggies and fruits. A balance of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids will promote healthy skin and a glossy coat for your terrier.
- 10 INGREDIENTS or LESS: Limited ingredients crafted from 7-10 real foods in each bag of dog food, giving your good boys and girls everything they need and nothing they don’t.
- GRAIN FREE FOR DOGS WITH SENSITIVE STOMACHS: There’s nothing questionable in a bowl of Canidae PURE. Never any wheat, corn, or soy.
- HEALTHPLUS IN EVERY BITE: Probiotics added to every kibble after cooking to support healthy digestion, antioxidants to support a healthy immune system, and omega 6 & 3 fatty acids to support beautiful skin and coat.
- FLAVORS & TYPES: With 6 different proteins (Salmon, Lamb, Duck, Boar, Bison Chicken), and formulations for all life stages and sizes (Puppy, Adult, Senior, Small Breed), there’s a Canidae PURE product your dog will love.
- WE MAKE PET FOOD SIMPLE: Canidae PURE Limited Ingredient Diet dog food uses simple, whole-food recipes made right here in our Texas facility. Because pet food shouldn’t be complicated.
CANIDAE is made with 10 recognizable core ingredients. These include; lamb, sweet potatoes, turkey meal, chickpeas, chicken meal, peas, chicken fat, and menhaden fish meal. There is no soy, corn, or wheat.
- Weight -12 pounds
- Flavor – Lamb
- Why It’s Recommended – This Dry Dog Food uses simple ingredients to cater to the dietary needs of your sensitive terrier.
All of these ingredients will give your terrier a good taste they crave for in their food and all the nutrition they need.
After cooking, probiotics are added to each kibble to support healthy digestion of food in your terrier’s stomach. This dry food also contains antioxidants to ensure that the immune system of your terrier is healthy.
CANIDAE has omega 6 and 3 fatty acids to help maintain healthy skin and a shiny coat.
- It helps maintain beautiful skin and coat.
- Improves the digestive system for your terrier.
- Maintains a healthy immune system for your pups.
- Suitable for dogs with a sensitive stomach.
- Offers a great taste your terrier craves for.
- Kibbles in some batches may have small holes in them
- There may be quality control issues with some batches.
- Kibbles in some batches may be larger.
The whole foods used in the Canidae recipe are meant for gentle digestion in your terrier’s gut. If your terrier is always sensitive to ingredients this dry food will give them a great taste that they will love.
Purina Pro Plan
- One (1) 6 lb. Bag - Purina Pro Plan With Probiotics, High Protein Dry Dog Food, Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Formula
- Made with high-quality protein, including real beef as the first ingredient
- Fortified with guaranteed live probiotics to support digestive & immune health
- Contains rice as an easily digestible source of carbohydrates
- SAVOR Shredded Blend Beef & Rice Formula has a new look and product name coming soon. May receive either bag during the transition
The Purina Pro Plan offers a wide variety of formulas to cater to your terrier’s specific needs based on their age, taste preference, lifestyle, dietary considerations, or activity level. This advanced nutrition is a result of extensive research by veterinarians, nutritionists, and behaviorists to ensure that your terrier gets the nutrition they need.
- Weight – 35 pounds
- Why It’s Recommended – This food provides the optimum protein-to-fat ratio that will help your terrier maintain their ideal body.
The main ingredient for this dog formula is real meat to promote the total health of your terrier. Made from real chicken and rice which is a great source of carbohydrates for energy requirements. This combination will give your terrier a wholesome and flavourful meal.
The kibbles are hard, tender, and shredded to provide a texture that will keep your canine friend engaged for some time.
Each serving contains optimum levels of fat and protein to give your terrier 100% balanced and complete nutrition.
For healthy skin and shiny coat, this dry food contains vitamin A, linoleic acid, and omega-6 fatty acids.
- Promotes healthy skin and coat.
- Maintains a healthy digestive system in your terrier.
- It is high-quality great-tasting nutrition for your pup.
- Your terrier will feel energetic throughout the day.
- Caters for the wellness and overall health of your terrier.
- Some batches may have a small quantity of shredded blend.
- May cause vomiting in some dogs.
- A few quality control issues in some batches.
Your terrier’s digestive health is catered to by the natural probiotics from wheat bran. Feeding your terrier Purina Pro Plan will ensure that their overall health is supported by the high-quality protein and other essential nutrients.
The Honest Kitchen
- ORGANIC WHOLE GRAIN: The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Turkey dog food is dog food made with free range chicken and dehydrated for maximum nutrition for puppies and adult dogs
- LOW PROTEIN: This low protein, calorically moderate, budget-friendly recipe features cage free turkey, organic whole oats, and simple garden produce.
- HUMAN GRADE: The Honest Kitchen meets the rigorous FDA safety standards to use the label 'human grade', ensuring the highest quality dog food.
- ALL NATURAL: This dog food is made with no by-products, preservatives or GMO ingredients - just add water for a warm and delicious meal.
- MADE IN THE USA: All ingredients are processed in the USA in a human grade food processing facility with nothing from China.
Honest Kitchen is balanced and complete for your terrier in all life stages.
- Flavor – Chicken, and quinoa
- Weight – 10 pounds
- Why It’s Recommended – Great for dogs with sensitive stomachs and food allergies.
This dehydrated dog food is made from free-range chicken, organic quinoa, and other wholesome ingredients sourced from around the globe.
This food is suitable if your terrier is sensitive as it has 6 ingredients to minimize the chances of causing any stomach upset. It is high in protein and fat, suitable for puppies and active older terriers.
If your terrier requires a gluten-free diet, this could be the perfect meal for them. It has little grain in order to maintain a healthy body weight for your terrier.
The Honest Kitchen makes this food with only six ingredients to cater for a terrier that needs a simplified meal or has any food allergies. The most important quality distinction of this food is that it is 100% human-grade dog food. There are no red flag ingredients such as corn, soy, wheat, and rice or beet pulp.
- Suitable for dogs with allergies and a sensitive stomach.
- For dogs with gluten-free dietary needs.
- Maintains a healthy weight for your terrier.
- It helps solve the skin problems your dog might have.
- May cause hacking and gagging for some dogs.
- Picky dogs may not like this food.
- May cause diarrhea in your dog if you are transitioning to this food.
When making a bowl of this dehydrated food to your terrier, you need to add warm water and wait for three minutes. No preservatives or genetically modified material in this food.
Taste of the Wild
- Taste of the Wild ancient stream; with smoked salmon; real fish is the #1 ingredient; high quality and protein rich for LEAN, STRONG MUSCLES
- A combination of ancient, whole grains like Grain sorghum, millet, quinoa and chia seed which are naturally higher in protein
- Formulated to AAFCO and FDA requirements and considering the latest research, by a team with expertise AND experience in veterinary medicine, pet food nutrition, Formulation, Food science and food production
- Ingredients from TRUSTED, SUSTAINABLE sources around the world; made with no corn, wheat, filler; NO ARTIFICIAL flavors, colors, preservatives added
- Nutrient rich and HIGHLY digestible food with high levels of proprietary PROBIOTICS specific for the species and guaranteed, to survive and thrive in the GI tract for Overall health and wellbeing
Bull Terriers are like wolves in the wild, so serving them a bowl of Taste of the Wild will satisfy their wild cravings.
- Nutritional Information – Protein – 32%, fats – 18%, fibre – 4%
- Weight – 30 pounds
- Why It’s Recommended – This food satisfies the wild taste cravings of your terrier.
This food is made with high-quality meats such as wild boar, smoked salmon and turkey, buffalo, roasted bison, quail, lamb, duck, and venison. It could be the best Bull Terrier dog food your Bull Terrier could have without you even knowing what you‘ve been looking for.
The complex carbohydrates from legumes and sweet potatoes will provide lasting energy for your terrier. The fiber-rich carbohydrates and highly digestible proteins will also keep your terrier feeling full and energized all day long.
Taste of the Wild has prebiotics and probiotics species with bacteria similar to those found in the dog’s gastrointestinal tract to ensure that your terrier’s digestive system is healthy and to support their immune system. The probiotics are added after the kibbles are cooked to ensure that your terrier gets active support for the healthy digestion of food.
The chelated minerals in this Taste of the Wild recipe will ensure that your terrier absorbs all the important minerals and nutrients in their food, enjoying the full value of every selected mineral.
- Ingredients are from trusted and sustainable sources around the world.
- This food ensures a healthy digestive system.
- Ensures a healthy and beautiful coat and skin.
- Good price dog food which will be delivered to your door.
- Reduces gas and itchiness in your dog.
- May cause some dogs to have diarrhea and vomiting.
- Potential quality control issues in some batches.
- May cause skin allergies in some dogs.
The marine-sourced omega 3 fatty acids in Taste of the Wild will give your terrier a healthy skin and coat and support overall wellness.
Bull Terriers have a type of chest cavity at risk for developing bloat in the stomach; therefore, you should keep them from drinking or eating too much at the same time.
From all the above types of dog food, it is clear that Taste of the Wild is the outright winner. This food will satisfy the instinctive wild cravings of your terrier and guarantees an enjoyable tasting experience.
It is also made with high-quality proteins, grain-free carbohydrates, and fats to ensure that your terrier maintains healthy wellness.
Best Dog Food for Bull Terriers
Choose the best diet for your bull terrier! Read through the reviews shared here before making your decision.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Purina Pro Plan
The Honest Kitchen
Taste of the Wild