Whether you are looking for a crate to house train your new Yorkshire Terrier puppy or want to provide your little terrier with a safe haven in the home, finding the best dog crate for Yorkies is important.
What size should your crate be? The recommended guide is that your dog should be able to stand up comfortably without bending their legs and to be able to turn around easily.
For the cost-conscious, when buying a crate, rather than getting one suitable for your dog when it’s a puppy, then needing a bigger size for when he’s all grown up, a larger crate with a moveable divider is the solution.
Although your crate may not be intended as a permanent home, it is essential that it is a comfortable, stress-free place for your Yorkie to spend a few hours, or overnight, and somewhere to retreat to for a peaceful nap.
With so many different crates on the market, it can be a confusing minefield to decide on the best one for you. To make life easier, here are five suggestions of what we consider to be the best crates for Yorkies, and our top pick.
5 Best Dog Crates for Yorkies
1 used from $51.23
- Reliable Sturdy Wire Kennel: This dog crate for medium dogs has a 5-point precision lock system & 2 doors on either side for maximum security & access. Rounded corners ensure the portable kennel is snag-less.
- Travel Friendly: The durable dog training kennel has an adjustable divider panel that accommodates puppies as they grow. Features rust-resistant finish for outdoor use. Crate is collapsible for storage & travel. 48" x 30" x 33".
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more.
- PRECISION PET: Precision Pet offers a variety of heavy-duty products such as wire crates, chicken coops & rabbit hutches that provide pets with a cozy & safe place to rest, nest & feed. Also features litter box accessories & more.
- Just For Pets: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
While not such an attractive crate as our previous contender, the Precision Petmate is a very practical crate and is another suggestion for the best dog crate for Yorkies.
- Size – 24” x 18” x 20”
- Why We Recommend – This crate is practical and comes with a divider for training and a removable pan.
This crate is easily collapsible and has rounded edges so you or your pup won’t hurt yourselves if you were to bump into it! It also comes in a selection of sizes, so there will be one to suit your needs.
Deciding on the right size crate is important, the recommended gauge is one and a half times the size your little pup will grow up to be when an adult. If you have a puppy, they can find larger spaces intimidating, but using the divider panel in the early days can solve this.
The heavy gauge metal used for this crate is coated with a black, rust-resistant finish, and the plastic floor pan slides in and out for easy cleaning of any accidental spills. There are also two single latch doors, one on top and one on the front for easy access to your Yorkie.
Another plus is that the Precision Great Crate comes with a crate training guide and an adjustable divider panel to help guide you through the process of crate training your little terrier.
- collapsible so easy to store when not in use
- Comes with a crate training guide
- Divider panel supplied
- Available in other sizes
- Second door placement isn’t ideal
The Precision Pet itself is also very easy to transport, when folded up it is only about 2” wide which can be very handy if you and your Yorkie are going away.
12 used from $27.43
- Newly enhanced with added security features to keep your pet safe | Slide-bolt door latch now feature patented Paw Block and locking tips to create a safer, more secure home for your pet
- iCrate single door dog crate measures 24L x 17 x 19 inches and is suitable for small dog breeds with an adult weight of 12 to 25 pounds. If your dog’s weight or measurements are on the higher side for this crate, we recommend buying the next crate size up
- Dog crate includes a divider panel, durable & leak-proof plastic pan, protective rubber feet, carrying handle, and customer support team based in Indiana
- Easy to assemble & portable | Dog crate sets up in seconds with no tools required and conveniently folds flat for travel
- Durable & strong, quality construction creates a secure place for your dog to fulfill their natural instinct to den. Proper ventilation, large door openings with low thresholds, and rounded corner clips make iCrate a safer crate experience for your dog
Our next contender for best dog crate for Yorkies is the Mid West Life Stages.
- Size – 24” x 18” x 21”
- Why We Recommend – This is a sturdy crate and comes with a carrying handle and feet to protect your floor.
Mid West also manufactures the iCrate model, which is made of lighter metal and is designed only for light use rather than a permanent bolt-hole for your little terrier.
While many people like to use their crate as a permanent den for their Yorkie, many of us only require a crate for early training and travel, and for that purpose, the Mid West iCrate may be a better option.
The Life Stages model comes in both the one or two-door design and is made of heavy gauge steel and tighter mesh to provide a sturdy, safe den for your Yorkie. An added feature is that this crate also has roller feet to help protect your floor and easy mobility, and also a carrying handle.
Although constructed of strong steel, this crate is still easy to assemble, requiring no tools, and the corner clips are rounded to reduce risk to yourself or your little terrier. It is also supplied with an easy to clean, a removable plastic base tray for those inevitable spills.
- Easily assembled
- Comes in one or two-door options
- Doesn’t come with L shaped secure latch
Another added extra is that this crate is available in different size options and also with the choice of one or two doors. Each door has two heavy-duty slide-bolt latches to keep your little Yorkie secure in his home.
Mid West also supplies a divider panel with both the Life Stages and the lighter iCrate models, ideal for training or for when your Yorkie is smaller.
- Portable, durable metal wire dog crate with double-door design for convenient front and side entry
- Two slide-bolt latches on each door for increased safety and security; optional center divider panel included
- Crate folds flat and includes a carrying handle for easy storage and portability; removable composite plastic liner pan for easy cleaning
- 42-inch crate is suitable for medium to large breed dogs up to 26 inches tall and 38 inches long
- Measures 42 x 28 x 30 inches (LxWxH); supports up to 90 pounds
Our next offering for the best crate for Yorkies is the AmazonBasics. This is another metal crate, basic but practical. This crate lives up to its name; it covers all your basic needs.
- Size – 24” x 19” x 18”
- Why We Recommend –This is a practical, easily assembled and portable crate.
This crate is of sturdy metal construction which gives it good durability, and it folds up for easy portability or storage. The Amazon Basics crate has two doors, both with double slide latches.
It also comes with the easy to clean, sliding plastic floor pan and the added bonus of a divider, which is always helpful when crate toilet training your Yorkie, or to make the space smaller for when your little terrier is a puppy.
The advantage of a crate is that, although not an attractive piece of furniture, it provides a safe, well-ventilated den for your terrier to retreat to when he is tired and wants to sleep, or for you to use should you need to leave him alone for short periods and overnight.
The wire crate also provides your inquisitive Yorkie with good visibility so he can still watch you even while he’s resting so that he is reassured that he isn’t being left alone!
- Practical and durable
- Easy to fold up for portability or storage
- Other sizes available
- Divider panel supplied
- Inconsistent quality
While not the most aesthetically pleasing, the Amazon Basics is a very practical and affordable option. This crate is also supplied with a metal divider panel, always useful for crate training your puppy. As with many things on Amazon, there are extras available, and you can also get a bed to fit this crate.
Carlson Pet Products
- DIMENSIONS: 30-inches long by 19-inches wide by 21-inches tall
- SECURE ALL STEEL: Single door design with secure locking system for your pet’s safety
- REMOVABLE AND WASHABLE: Includes a black removable and washable pan
- FOLDABLE AND TRAVEL: Foldable system for portability, storage and car travel
- BREEDS: For medium sized breeds and puppies, up to 45 pounds.Fits dogs up to 24 Inch long and up to 20 Inch tall
Our 5th and final suggestion for the best dog crate for Yorkies is the Carlson Pet Products. As with the previous suggestions, there are different sizes available in this range.
- Size – 24” x 18” x 19”
- Why We Recommend- A practical, strong and easily foldable dog crate ideal for car travel,
This is a basic, practical crate, probably more suited for temporary use rather than a permanent den for your Yorkie, but we don’t all require our crate to be in permanent use, some of our little terriers prefer to have a bed rather than a crate to sleep in, so this could be an ideal option.
The Carlson crate is constructed using strong steel, and the single front door has a strong latch to keep your terrier secure. Although sturdy, this crate is still very easy to assemble, or fold away, ideal for storing away when not required, or for traveling.
Another bonus is that it also comes with an easy to clean, removable, plastic base tray, essential for keeping your Yorkie’s home clean, and those awkward mishaps!
Surprisingly, unlike the other crates we have mentioned, this one does not come with a divider, so if you are crate training your puppy, or need to limit the initial size of your crate, the purchase of a separate divider would be an added extra.
- Durable and practical
- Made from Steel
- Lasts from puppyhood to adulthood
- Doesn’t come with a divider
So if you want a crate for your Yorkie that is practical, but probably not for permanent use, then this basic but well-constructed Carlson Dog Crate could be the one for you.
1 used from $113.04
- MATERIALS: The cottage furniture style dog house is made of solid fir wood, so it's durable, sturdy and stable. Using environmentally friendly paint to provide health protection for family members and your fur babies.
- MULTIPLE FUNCTIONS: This multifunctional indoor dog house comes with a lockable wire door, so you may not only use it as a dog kennel but also a side table.
- DIMENSIONS: Outer size 31.5''L×21.5''W×21''H and interior size 29.6''L×18.7''W×16.2''H. Suitable for cats and small-sized dogs up to 22lbs. It will give your pet the space he needs to stretch out comfortably, so stays cozy all year long.
- EXCELLENT VENTILATION: This indoor doghouse comes with excellent ventilation as it features an elevated floor, protecting your furry friends from moisture, keeping them dry and warm, and therefore promoting their health and comfort.
- EASY ASSEMBLY: Easy to assemble with pre-drilled holes. Side holes make it convenient to lift and move.
Our first suggestion for the best crate for Yorkies is the Petsfit Indoor. If your crate is intended to be a permanent fixture, and you want something more aesthetically pleasing than a standard crate, then this could be the one for you. It isn’t just a crate; it’s also an attractive piece of furniture specially designed for your little friend to live in luxurious style!
- Size – Small. 24” x 18” x 21”
- Why We Recommend – Attractive design, and multi-purpose as a crate or come-and-go den.
The wicker outer layer is covering a metal frame, so it is a durable crate, and still offers good ventilation. Importantly, the wicker material doesn’t absorb liquid or odor and is easy to clean with soap and water.
The crate also comes with an easy to clean, removable, floor pan to catch any spills or accidents, and the door latch is spring-loaded and has 2-way hinges, which means that if you want to leave the door open, it can be tidily latched onto the inside of the crate, so neither you nor your little terrier can bump into it.
- An attractive looking crate
- Comes in Medium and Large sizes too
- Easy to clean
- If your little Yorkie is a chewer, this would not be suitable – he wouldn’t get out, but there’s plenty to chew on!
The Petsfit Indoor may not be quite what you expect from the description of the best dog crate for Yorkies, it fulfills the needs of those who are looking for an attractive, permanent use crate as opposed to the more temporary, foldaway crate.
Whether you are looking for a permanent den, or a portable, a more temporary crate for your little bundle of hair, hopefully, this review of what we consider to be the pick of the bunch will help.
As for our choice of the best dog crate for Yorkies..we think it is the Amazon Basics.
This crate covers all the basic requirements. It provides us with everything we expect from our dog crate. The Amazon Basics is durable, but also easy to fold up and store away or carry.
The fact that it comes with the additional divider is very useful whether you are crate training your puppy, or need to give extra reassurance to the more timid dog who feels happier in smaller spaces.
5 Best Crates for Yorkies
Here are the ratings for the top 5 Yorkie dog crates.
Carlson Pet Products