What can beat a fun car trip with your dog? Your dog jumping all over the seats, anxiously whining or shaking with fear every time the car moves can ruin that fun planned trip.
Not every dog takes well to being in a car for one reason or another and it can be a hazard when driving if you constantly have to control your dog or check in on them. But with the best dog car kennels, you will not have this constant worry anymore.
Dog car kennels give your dog a safe and quiet spot where they can lay down and get comfortable during the car trip.
Since the kennels stay in one place you will not have to constantly look over your shoulder to see where your dog is or reach out to reassure them if they are scared. To help you keep your eyes on the road, consider one of the dog car kennels we have listed.
Best Dog Car Kennels
- Folding soft-sided 30-inch dog crate for medium dogs up to approximately 42 pounds
- 2 doors (top and front); mesh windows and front door for ventilation on all 4 sides
- Secure zipper closures; fastening straps keep unzipped rolled-up doors positioned neatly out of the way
- PVC frame and polyester fabric; sets up in seconds (no tools needed); folds flat for easy transport and compact storage
- Measures 30.1 by 21.3 by 21.3 inches; backed by an Amazon Basics limited one-year warranty
If you are looking for a new dog crate for a car that will keep your dog safe and your eyes on the road consider trying out the AmazonBasics.
- Size—26.5” X 18.5” X 18.5”
- Has two access points
- Mesh ventilation on four sides
Your dog will stay safe and secure in this car travel crate. Its sturdy structure fits the curves of most car seats so it can stay in place.
The mesh windows provide airflow and easy viewing points for your dog. To keep the crate from moving just slip the seatbelts through the loop and you are good to go.
It is ideal for medium and small-sized dogs and can also be used as a standard crate in the home.
- Leaning structure easily attaches to car seat
- Has two belt loops to place seatbelt through
- Has auto-lock zippers
- Some customers have said it can be hard to take their dog out the crate since it does not have a top door access point
Both you and your dog will safely arrive at your destination when you keep your excited dog in the AmazonBasics.
- Folding soft-sided 40"*27"*27" dog crate for large dogs up to 85 lbs. Crafted of 1200D Oxford fabric and heavy-weight mesh, it boasts reliable sturdiness.
- 5-sided mesh window features high ventilation and 3 roll-up entrance doors (top, front and left) allow your dog to come and go freely. Semi-closed design allows you to keep an eye on your pet.
- Dog crate interior made up of collapsible & solid steel frame and washable fleece pad, is a soothing environment for crate-training dogs. Worry-free and hygiene.
- Collapsible steel frame with retractable springs makes setup simple (no tools needed) and fold flat for easy transport and compact storage. Easy carry with handle or strap. Adjustable strap included.
- Lightweight frame and special locking mechanism makes traveling a breeze. Perfect for road trips, the great outdoors or everyday home use. Spend more time on-the-go with your beloved dog.
Give your dog a comfortable and safe place to relax during trips with the Veehoo.
- Size—36” X 26” X 29”
- Collapsible design
- Made of high-quality nylon
On the go travel is easier with this collapsible soft pet crate. High-density nylon is tough against your dog and maintains its shape through multiple uses. It is also waterproof, in case you were to use the crate outside.
Secure it to your car by slipping the seat belt through one of the four safety loops. Getting to your dog is also easy since this crate has three zippered access points. There is even a zipper mesh roller blind you can keep up to allow your dog to enter and leave the crate as they please when used indoors.
- Has three zippered openings
- Four safety loops
- Two side pockets for storage
- Removable fleece cushion
- The material may not be sturdy enough for high chewing dogs
- The zipper can be moved by the dog
Never risk safety while driving when using the Veehoo to keep your dog in place during car trips.
- For crate trained medium/large dogs up to 50 pounds; Dimension: 28"L X 18" W X 18"H
- Leak-proof bottom protect your car and floor; Rounded Corners Protect Auto Interior when travel with your pet
- 2 door, 1 top access and 1 screen on side for easy access and ventilation
- Easy assemble and washable, set up and fold down flat within 45 seconds, the cover is removable and washable
- Foldable and Portable, it will also be a perfect cage or home for cat
If you have a larger car with an open trunk then the A4Pet Collapsible will be the ideal crate to use to keep your dog safe and contained.
- Size—30” X 20” X 18.5”
- Made of durable Oxford Fabric and mesh
By being collapsible you will be able to take this crate anywhere you need whether it be in the car or just to another room in your home. It can hold dogs up to 50lbs with no issues. In case your dog was to have an accident the bottom of the crate is leak proof.
Rounded corners also protect your car seat from getting scratched up. Top door and screen door access points make it easier for you to place and remove your dog without needing to shift the crate around.
- Can be collapsed for easy storage
- Kennel and inner cushion machine washable
- Has an inner steel frame to help the crate keep its shape
- Has two-door access points
- Zipper seam not as durable against high chewing dogs
Car safety is as easy to obtain as choosing the right dog crate, like the A4Pet Collapsible.
- ALL-IN-ONE FOLDABLE DOG CRATE – If you’re looking to buy a foldable dog crate that combines all the functionality with a touch of class & innovation, 2PET Fold-A-Crate is the perfect choice – All-in-One dog crate for indoor, outdoor, training & travel purposes – Refer to the size chart for size details
- STRONG STEEL TUBE DESIGN – Unlike many other flimsy & makeshift dog crates out there, Fold-A-Crate uses a strong yet lightweight steel tube design that can be folded/unfolded in a jiffy – Includes a top handle to convert it into a fully-functional pet carrier
- WASHABLE SOFT FABRIC COVER – The steel frame is covered with a water resistant, soft Oxford 600D fabric cover (a nylon variant) that is fully removable & machine washable – The new & improved design includes full frontal zipper that dogs can’t easily chew to bits
- PERFECT VENTILATION, MESH PANEL WINDOWS – Thanks to the well-designed bone-shaped windows & mesh panels, this foldable dog crate maintains perfect natural ventilation – This kennel comes with a waterproof mat for the floor of the crate reversible washable fleece cushion pad
- DOING THE RIGHT THING – Being absolute pet lovers, we donate a portion of sales to various pet shelters & charities – With a 1-year warranty against manufacturing faults in place, your orders are safe & secure – Click ‘Add to Cart’ & order the best, multipurpose foldable dog crate right away
Know your dog will be safe inside the 2PET Foldable when you are on the road.
- Size—Varies on the crate options available
- Weight—Varies on the chosen crate size
- Made of Oxford 600D fabric and mesh
- Available in three colors
This all-in-one foldable dog crate is perfect to be used indoors, outdoors, and in cars. Your dog will be safe inside this rigid yet durable pet crate. The soft bottom provides a comfortable place for your dog to curl up and nap throughout the trip.
It is resistant against water thanks to the Oxford 600D fabric but larger spills should be cleaned up as soon as possible to avoid damaging the crate. With four ventilation windows, your dog will get the proper airflow as well as plenty of spots to look out of.
- Has a strong yet lightweight steel tube design to help keep its shape
- Machine washable
- Full frontal zipper
- Has two-door access points
- Some customers have reported the mesh window was chewed through easily by their dog
For the dogs that like to jump around in the car and need to be contained the 2PET Foldable helps keep them inside a safe environment.
- Size: 36" long x 24" wide x 28" high; 2" wider and 4" higher than most other brand 36" soft crates, so the EliteField soft crate makes your dog feel more spacious; fully assembled; set-up and fold-down in seconds, no tools needed
- The crate frame is made of strong steel tube; the crate cover is made of high quality durable 600D fabric and hex mesh fabric; a well ventilated, stylish, lightweight and durable crate
- Three mesh doors (on the top, front, and side) for convenience and for sunlight and breathability; two accessory pockets on the top and side; removable and washable cover and bed
- Free carrying bag and fleece bed included; a handle and hand carrying straps on the crate, hand carrying straps and adjustable padded shoulder strap on the carrying bag allow for many carrying options; folded crate with just 3" height for easy transport and storage
- 2 Year Warranty from EliteField, a New York-based Pet Product Manufacturer. The "EliteField" brand is ranked #1 under Amazon's "Soft Dog Crate" category. This can be seen through searching for "Soft Dog Crate" on Amazon. Product Quality Guarantee, 100% Money-Back Guarantee, Customer Satisfaction Guarantee (See important information in "Product Description" section below)
You won’t have to leave your dog behind on family trips since the EliteField will easily fit inside of your car.
- Size—Varies on the crate size you chose
- Weight—Varies on the chosen crate size
- Made of Oxford 600D fabric and mesh
- Comes in 10 colors
Setting up this crate is easy. All you have to do is remove it from the included carrying bag, set up the steel frame and cover it with the water-resistant Oxford 600D fabric cover.
Four mesh windows provide optimal ventilation points to keep your dog from being stuffy inside of the crate. You can secure the crate to your car by slipping the seatbelt through the handle or carrying strap.
- Has a strong steel frame to help keep its shape
- Has three mesh door access points
- Has two accessory pockets
- Comes with washable fleece bed
- Two-year warranty
- Some customers have stated their dogs were able to chew through the front zipper
Both you and your dog will love taking trips together with the EliteField.
- AIRLINE APPROVED CARRIER - With airline-approved design, you can take your pet to go to everywhere. This pet carrier provides two connecting loop handles for balanced carrying as a dual seat belt or luggage strap to secure transport
- SAFETY DESIGN - The adjustable shoulder strap help you hands-free carrying and makes it the most safe and convenient pet carrier bag for your travel
- WATERPROOF & DURABLE - This cat carrier is made of durable, lightweight and waterproof polyester fabric. The four-side mesh will not only give a safe and comfortable travel for your pet, but also easy for you to check on your pet
- PORTABLE & WASHABLE - This dog carrier is easy to carry and store, which has a padded shoulder strap and handles. The cozy fleece pet bed can be completely removed and machine-washed
- BOTH SIZES AND WEIGHTS - The mediun cat carrier is designed for small and medium pets within 15" x 9" x 9" and 15 lbs. Please do not choose your carrier only based on weight. Reference your pets' length and height in selecting a carrier size.
For reliability and safety when on a car trip with your dog use the Henkelion.
- Size—21” X 14.5” X 15.5”
- Made of Oxford 600D and mesh
- Rounded corners
- Three mesh windows
Use this crate both indoors and in the car since it is lightweight and easy to carry. You can secure it to your car by placing the seatbelt through the soft padded top handles.
Its completely machine washable cover is ideal to clean up those hard to clean messes. An extra strong steel frame around the mesh panels helps the crate keep its shape and prevent it from collapsing onto your dog.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- No tools necessary for assembly
- Has two access doors
- Has two storage pockets
- The bottom has no firm support; not ideal for being used as a carrier
For comfort and security, your dog will enjoy using the Henkelion.
- Dimensions: 17.5"L x 11"W x 11"H, suitable for pet up to 15 lbs.Please do not choose your carrier based on weight--please reference your pet's length and height in selecting a carrier size
- Easy to set up and fold down flat for storage. Original metal frame when you carry it within your dog or cats
- Two entrances, easy to access. Unzip top entrance, pet can poke their head out
- Travel carrier for medium cats and puppy: AIRLINE APPROVED;can be secured in car seat and fastened on luggage
- Carrying handles and adjustable shoulder strap, easy for you to carry. It also comes with a cozy fleece pad and mesh windows for ventilation, your pet could breathe fresh air and enjoy the view
Take your furry pal on your next car trip with an ease of mind knowing they will stay within Akinerri.
- Size—23.6” X 16.5” 16.5”
- Made of Oxford 600D and mesh
- Fully washable fabric cover
Your dogs need to be comfortable on car trips just like you do. Luckily for your dog, this crate comes with a soft fleece bed. It is ideal to be used in the car since it has seatbelt attachments that help keep the crate from moving around.
The 600D fabric is water-resistant and durable for long-lasting use. Mesh windows help provide ventilation for your dog. Two doors on the top and front make it easier for you to place and remove your dog. The crate even has an included pocket for treats to praise your dog for doing well inside of their crate.
- Rounded corners
- Has seatbelt attachments for extra security
- Lockable zippers on top and front
- Steel frame
- Comes with a padded faux fleece bed
- The zipper can be chewed through by high chewing dogs
The more you use Akinerri the more your dog will understand the carrier is linked to fun car trips.
K&H Pet Products
1 used from $58.68
- TRAVEL SAFETY CARRIER: Pet carrier provides a comfortable, safe and secure location for your pet to ride, includes a washable comfort pad and mesh windows to allow your pet to view out
- SAFETY FIRST: Straps loop around headrest and straps for any car seat belt to securely tethers to carrier
- EASY ACCESS: Exits on both sides and front provide easy access and allow installation on either side of the backseat
- QUICK INSTALLATION: Quick to install and uninstall and folds flat for easy storage
- BRAND YOU TRUST: Designed by K&H with OVER 20 years of experience in creating innovative, quality products
K&H Pet Products has a unique shape that fits easily against any car seat.
- Size—Varies on the type of crate chosen
- Weight—Varies on the size of crate chosen
- Fits against most car seats
- Bottom pad machine washable
This crate is easy to install and secure to your car. Just unfold it, rest it against the car seat, thread the seatbelt through the strap in the back, and secure the headrest strap around the car seat’s headrest.
The crate also has multiple exit points so you won’t have to struggle to remove your dog. Durable mesh sides provide both ventilation and an easy to view window to make checking on your dog easier.
- Easy to install
- Secures with any seatbelt
- Has a strap for a headrest for extra security
- Folds flat for easy storage
- One year warranty
- There is no inner leash attachment to keep your dog in place
Ideal for car trips, the K&H Pet Products will soon become your go-to pet carrier for long car trips.
- PET CRATE FOR SMALL DOGS: This small dog kennel has a top entry door so you can access your cat or dog. Suitable for small dog breeds up to 10 lbs. Measures: 19"
- AIR TRAVEL APPROVED: This pet carrier meets most airline cargo specifications. The air travel kennel for dogs & cats also has a durable, ergonomic comfort-grip handle & ventilated sides for comfortable transport.
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Simple in design yet durable the Petmate will keep your dog safe no matter the car trip length.
- Size—19.4” X 12.8” X 10”
- Made of durable plastic
- Comes in four colors
Though not as fancy as some other carriers, this carrier still serves its purpose. The hard plastic material is durable for long-lasting use throughout your pet’s lifespan.
Your pet won’t be able to escape this carrier since the front door has easy to squeeze latches only you can use and the top-loading door is securely anchored in place until you open it. With all of the ventilation points, it can help keep your dog calm and let them see where they are going.
- Secure pet doors your dog can’t open
- Comfort grip handle
- Has two doors
- Openings on all sides for ideal ventilation
- Can be used for crate training
- Some customers have stated the plastic scraped their dogs
You can either place the Petmate on a car seat or the floor of the car, whichever is safer for you and your dog.
- Large Pet Limo is a travel tube designed for easy and safe transportation for pets. The Pet Limo has convenient access to both side of the tube with zipper doors. Spacious design at 47" L x 24" W x 24" H.
- Large size of 47 inches long and 24 inches high allows your pet to fully extend and stretch out. Room for water bowl, food, toys, and any other pet products your animal needs. Designed to avoid cramming the pet so that your animal is fully rested and relaxed during travel.
- Use and Storage : The Large Pet Crate is made to be used right after opening. No set up or installation needed. Simple design allows you to simply unzip the tube and let the tube extend. Tube comes with a storage bag that folds down to under 2 inches in width!
- Car Protection : Reinforced nylon to help protect your pets paws from scraping leather seats. Tube keeps pet hair contained inside tube for a cleaner ride. Air hole mesh for fresh air and privacy during travel. Eliminates pet interfering with the driver and the front passengers. Pet Crate is strong yet soft to protect your car and add comfort for your pet
- Free returns money back satisfaction guaranteed
Hand in Hand Creations Tube Kennel is one of the better dog carriers for cars due to its unique shape.
- Size—47” X 24” X 24”
- Universal fit
- Made of nylon and mesh
You won’t have to struggle with picking the right size crate to fit in your car as the spring design easily adjust to fit the length of your car’s back seat. Set up is easy; it only takes a few minutes and the crate can be secured by slipping the seatbelt through the reinforced safety straps.
Don’t worry about your car being damaged as a tough nylon bottom provides an extra layer of protection. Your dog can have more mobility freedom and you can drive safely knowing they won’t be jumping all over the place.
- Collapsible for easy storage in an included tote bag
- Reinforced safety straps to keep the tube from moving
- Full mesh top for optimal ventilation and field of vision
- Straps that connect to car seat bracket may be too short in certain cars
Your dog will have plenty of space to stretch out and relax during car trips with this Tube Kennel.
Now that you have an idea of what kind of dog car kennels are available, we’ll help you focus on some key features to make buying the right one for your dog easier.
Of course, you want a car kennel that is as safe as possible. This means having a firm structure that won’t collapse under its own weight. You also want to be sure that the crate has a flat bottom so it stays in place on the ground or seat you place it on.
Also, see if the kennels have a handle loop or loop accessory where you can slip a seat belt through and buckle into place. This keeps the kennel from sliding around during sharp turns or being moved around by the dog inside.
Fitting them into the Car
The best way to make sure that the car kennel will fit into your car is to measure the space of the back seat or trunk you plan on placing the kennel. A good rule of thumb is to pick a crate that fits slightly smaller than the space you have planned. This prevents the crate from getting stuck in the allotted space and gives you more freedom to reach your dog.
Choosing the Right Size
Aside from finding a crate that fits the size of your car, you need a crate that best fits your dog’s size. You don’t want something too big or too small. The best way to gauge the size of the crate you need is to see how much space your dog needs to fully turn around without scrunching up or pressing against the kennel edges.
If your dog is struggling to turn around in the kennel then you know it is too small. But you do not want to go too big either as it can be overwhelming to the dog or counters the plan on providing your dog a safe and comfortable zone.
The dog kennels can vary in materials from metal, to plastic, and even fabric. Some are more durable than others and provide more resistance to spills or messes. Your dog’s activity level during a car trip can help you decide whether you need a more durable kennel, like a metal one, or if your dog won’t be destructive inside of a fabric kennel.
Traveling with your dog can be a fun adventure, but you don’t want to risk getting into an accident because you’re constantly checking up on your dog. With a travel dog crate, you’re able to fit the crate to the back seat or trunk of your car securely and know that your dog will stay out of trouble.
Because dogs are den animals they’ll actually enjoy being within a crate when traveling in a car, especially if they are prone to being anxious in moving vehicles. And do not worry about removing the freedom of the car space from them.
Dogs can easily get overwhelmed when given too much space in a strange environment, which can cause them to act out. Your dog will be comfortable during the car trip when inside a dog car kennel and you will be at ease knowing you can focus on driving and not multitasking between checking on your dog and keeping your eyes on the road.
Check out all the latest reviews and blog posts here at DogStruggles.