Not so long ago, an enlightened dog trainer came up with a wonderful idea: How about giving our pet pals a den of their own, a place to call home that feeds into their need to feel safe and secure?
Hence the dog crate went from being an idea to become a reality.
Not everyone likes the idea of dog crates, but these are usually people who think they look like a prison and don’t understand the principle behind them.
Best Dog Crates for Goldendoodles
This means respecting certain basic requirements when choosing a grate. The crate should be a special, happy place for the dog.
For example, it should be big enough for the dog to stand up in without banging their heads and lie down with their legs extended.
It must also be safe, with no sharp edges or gaps that a paw could get trapped in.
In addition, the crate should be fitted out with a comfortable bed so that the dog can snuggle down for a good sleep while you’re gone.
When it comes to the best dog crate for Goldendoodle dogs, you also need to think about factors such as the sturdiness of the construction, ease of cleaning, and how it’s going to look inside your home.
There is a wide range of choices these days, from basic wire crates to bespoke wooden ones designed to look like regular pieces of furniture.
When choosing your ideal crate, have a think about what’s most important for you.
Perhaps it’s the price or you want a lightweight crate that’s easy to relocate.
Or maybe your top priority is aesthetics and buying a piece of furniture that won’t look out of place with the rest of your décor.
Whatever your priorities, we’ve taken the effort out of searching by rounding up these recommendations for the best crate for Goldendoodle.
9 used from $55.43
- Dog crate with double-door design for convenient front and side entry
- Two slide-bolt latches on each door for increased safety and security
- Sturdy metal construction; folds flat for easy storage/portability
- Optional divider panel and removable composite plastic pan included
- Measures approximately 42x28x30 inches (LxWxH)
Goldendoodles can be large dogs (depending on the size of the doodle!) and with larger size comes increasing expense when it comes to equipment.
However, a good starter model is this Amazon basic dog crate.
It does what it says on the label in that it’s a good, no-nonsense metal dog crate.
You can choose from one or two-door models.
It’s worth planning ahead where you’re going to locate the crate, and this can make the location of the door a deal-breaker for a one-door model.
The crate can be folded down for storage and comes with an inner tray so that your flooring is protected from accidental ‘spills’.
This is a good functional crate that doesn’t have bells and whistles but will do the job.
Indeed, pet parents were genuinely pleased with their purchase.
Indeed, we found several people who had seen similar products at more than twice the price at bricks and mortar stores.
The crate is easy to put together, with most people assembling it in under two minutes.
The only downside seems to be the inner tray could be considered a little flimsy and some dogs don’t like how it shifts under the paw.
However, this is easily solved by wrapping a thick blanket over the liner or placing a rectangular bed inside the crate.
All in all an impressive start with a great crate for a Goldendoodle.
11 used from $59.63
- ICrate the 'All Inclusive Dog Crate' Includes Free divider panel, durable dog tray, carrying handle, 4 'roller' feet to protect floors & midwest quality guarantee 1 year warranty
- Large double door folding dog crate ideal for dogs w/ adult weight of 71 to 90 pounds, convenient divider panel allows crate to expand as your dog grows, mesh 1.5 x 7 7/8 inch; crate size 42 length x 28 width x 30 height inch
- Your dog's home while you're away from home: Durable design creates a safe place for your pet while you're away & caters to your dog’s natural “den” instincts
- Safe & Secure Home: Two heavy duty slide bolt latches firmly locks dog crate door in place keeping your dog safely inside their dog crate; ABS plastic pan Included provides a flat floor for the comfort of Your dog, plus it is WaterProof and will contain Spills if he has an accident
- Easy assembly & portable design: Sets up in seconds w/ no tools required for assembly & folds flat for convenient storage or travel, Roller feet protect hardwoods, make repositioning easy
In a similar vein to the Amazon Basic, this MidWest iCrate is another metal, flat-pack dog crate.
It’s easy to assemble, and you don’t need tools to do so.
Again it folds flat, and this model also has handles for convenience when carrying.
One of the features we especially liked was that it comes with a divider.
This is a great bonus if you are getting a puppy.
The divider allows you to create a puppy-sized crate, which is important for potty training.
Long story short, if the puppy has too much space in the crate, he may choose a corner to toilet in.
The idea behind using a crate for potty training is that pups feel inhibited about soiling their own den.
Thus, you either need to buy two crates: One puppy-sized and one adult-sized, or look for a crate with a divider that will do the job of two crates.
What we found time and time again was how impressed pet parents are with the quality, and that it comes at half the price of an equivalent product at a big box store is an extra bonus.
And if you do have issues with the crate, the product comes with a one year guarantee, which is pretty awesome.
However, when things go wrong it seems they go very wrong.
A few purchasers found the end of the bars to be sharp, with one dog becoming injured as a result.
Another found their active dog bent the bars and described the crate as not fit for purpose.
Happily, these incidents are very few and far between, and don’t seem to reflect the overall quality of the product.
Carlson Pet Products
3 used from $37.59
- DIMENSIONS: 36-inches long by 23-inches wide by 25-inches tall
- SECURE ALL STEEL: Single door design with secure locking system for your pet’s safety
- REMOVABLE AND WASHABLE: Includes a black removable and washable pan
- FOLDABLE AND TRAVEL: Foldable system for portability, storage and car travel
- BREEDS: For medium to larger sized breeds, up to 70 pounds
Everyone loves a bargain, and so do we.
Whilst metal crates can superficially appear much of a muchness, the Carlson stands above others because of the build quality and finish.
Instead of the standard stainless steel finish, the metal of this crate is finished with a baked powder coat finish, which is a lovely touch.
It comes with many features that are considered standards, such as a carry handle, plastic pan, and a divider, but what differentiates this model is the standard of the welding and the construction.
Indeed, at full price, this would be a considered purchase and outside the reach of many pet parents, but with some savvy shopping it’s possible to find heavily discounted versions that represent the most awesome value for money.
OK, so on the ‘What not to like’ front, it is a rare pet parent who found their dog bent the bars easily or thought the workmanship poor.
This is far outweighed by the majority opinion that this crate is great value for money and “Strong and sturdy” in the words of many.
Merry Pet 2-in-1
$179.99 in stock
- Dimensions(WxDxH): External: 27.91" x 39.8" x 31.5", Internal: 24.5" x 36.5" x 31.2"; Door: 21.5" x 27.5"
- Works as a kennel and adjustable gate with its all-in-one, multi-functional design.
- In kennel mode, it provides a safe and secure place for your pal to lounge in anytime.
- Gate mode allows you to adjust the four panels depending on the size of the room.
- Includes removable plastic tray that can be pulled out for cleaning purposes
If the thought of a metal crate in your lounge room is less than appealing, then consider a crate that’s disguised as a piece of furniture.
There are various designs, some more practical than others, which is why we decided to give the Merry Pet 2 in 1 crate our backing.
First, the 2 in 1 part comes about because it can be made up either into an attractive wooden crate or disassembled and used as a safety gate or barrier.
This Merry Pet product is a pleasing blend of wood and metal that doesn’t look out of place in a living room.
Indeed the roof of the kennel doubles as a coffee table, so you can make it even more discrete by placing ornaments or a lamp on top.
Again, some furniture crates are made entirely of wood.
This has the double disadvantage of making them extra heavy, plus the determined chewer can make short work of the wood.
However, this Merry Pet product’s design means it’s relatively lightweight for its size but without compromising on security for the dog.
In reality, this crate divides opinion amongst users.
There’s no denying it looks great and doubles up as a piece of furniture, which disguises that you even have a dog crate in the room.
However, there do seem to be some issues with strength.
Certainly, energetic dogs seem to have staged an escape in short order, with some crates not even surviving 24 hours intact.
In conclusion, this is a neat idea but best suited to a steadier Goldendoodle that is less likely to be destructive or try to escape.
For the dog that is already trained and used to a crate, then this is a superb option for the person who doesn’t want an obvious crate in their living room.
- DOG AIR TRAVEL KENNEL: This large dog travel kennel features tie-down strap holes, wire vents for ventilation & a raised interior to keep pets safe and comfortable. For medium dogs 90-125 lbs. Measures: 48"
- AIRLINE-ADAPTABLE: This dog crate meets most airline cargo specifications. Made with heavy duty recycled plastic material and features an easy-open front latch to quickly access pets.
- KENNELS & HOUSES: Crate & kennel training is vital for dog safety & comfort. We provide traditional travel carriers, wire training & exercise kennels, play pens, barn-style dog houses & more
- Petmate: For over 50 years, we at Petmate are passionate about our dogs, cats & furry friends in general. Starting with the very first dog kennel, we've produced plenty of eco-friendly products that pets will love.
- JUST FOR PETS: Petmate makes a variety of pet products for dogs, cats, chickens & other small furry friends! Check out our brands such as Aspen Pet, Arm & Hammer, Booda, Chuckit!, Jackson Galaxy & more!
Whether you’re moving state or on a road trip, there are times when a portable crate that is designed to keep a Goldendoodle safe in transit is an essential piece of equipment.
Petmate has an excellent reputation for making Skykennels, which are designed to protect a pet in transit on an aircraft.
The advantages of the Skykennel include their strength.
Made for extra-durable plastic, they will withstand the bumps and knocks of travel, which might dent a metal cage.
However, this also seems to be their Achilles heel.
The two most causes of dissatisfaction amongst those who have purchased a Petmate Skykennel are that the crate arrived damaged or that the size, in reality, doesn’t match up to the dimensions as stated on the label.
However, this is a good, strong carrier that easily doubles as a crate.
It’s secure and sturdy enough to use for travel and can be used as a crate at the other end.
With travel in mind, the door is sturdy and has a strong fastening mechanism.
Perhaps the large size of the giant model makes it a little unwieldy, but it certainly has a place for pet parents on the move who want a product that’s safe for travel and can be used as a crate as well.
So whether you need to plan for a Goldendoodle puppy that’s going to grow into a large adult dog or perhaps you intend to travel with your dog, know there is the best crate out there to suit your needs.
The news gets even better because you can have quality at a bargain price when you know how to shop around (or follow the advice of someone who has done the leg work for you.)
Crates are a great way of keeping your Goldendoodle safe and happy when you are out.
Just be sure to purchase a safe item without any sharp pieces of wire and that fasten securely.
Best Dog Crates for Goldendoodles
The top 5 Best Dog Crates for Goldendoodles reviewed. Find out which crate will best suit your dog's situation!
- Amazon Basics
- MidWest iCrate
- Carlson Pet Products
- Merry Pet 2-in-1
- Petmate Skykennel