German Shepherds are large breed dogs known for their muscles, endurance, and loyalty. They can either be great house pets, excellent working dogs, or be ideal guard dogs. Whatever your German Shepherd’s fate will be you will need the best tools to control them.
With the best collar for German Shepherd, you can be sure your German Shepherd will listen to you when you command them. But not every collar is ideal for a German Shepherds.
Simply buckled collars will not work and have the potential to either hurt your German Shepherd or be destroyed by their own strength. German Shepherds need specific collars that provide optimal control to you while also being durable and safe to use.
Going in blind to buy a collar for your German Shepherd is not the best way to go about it since you may end up choosing the wrong collar again.
Best Collar For German Shepherd
- Solid Quality Set Recommended by Dog Trainers and Veterinarians - Pet supply essentials for safe, effective training and everyday walking with style
- Made with Your Dog's Comfort in Mind - Collar self-adjusts as pressure is applied to leash, won't choke your pooch, damage fur or cause tangles and skin irritation
- Unbeatable Stregth - Handmade safety climbing rope with 8x braided nylon threads meet search & rescue standards. Leash is 45" length x 0.59" diameter for small, 45" length x 0.78" diameter for large. No pull collar fits neck size 13.7" to 15.7"(35cm to 40cm) for small, 18.5" to 22.5"(47cm to 57cm) for large
- Freedom with Control - No more twist and struggle, 360 rotatable connections for easy movement on walks & in dog obedience training class. Over 90 pages of dog training tips and techniques eBook delivered via email
- Quality Control and Lifetime Warranty - We care for your pet's security and safety! All products are thoroughly inspected and tested in WA, United States. Your satisfaction is the most important to us! Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty is provided for all Olivery's pet products
For German Shepherds who need a collar that fits comfortably around their neck try using the Olivery Martingale.
- Material—Braided Nylon Threads, Stainless steel extensions
- Available Sizes—Small, Large
- Available Colors—Blue, Red
When normal collars are no longer doing the trick for your German Shepherd switching to a martingale type collar is your best choice. This collar self-adjusts meaning that, when your German Shepherd pulls, it applies pressure that will not choke your dog, damage their skin, or rip out their fur but instead corrects them to stop pulling.
Each collar and included leash is handmade with eight braided nylon threads that are considered climbing rope safe. You will also not have to struggle with annoying twists and turns if your dog does not walk a straight line since the stainless steel leash attachment is 360 degrees rotatable.
Olivery cares about you and your dog’s safety so they offer both a Satisfaction Guarantee and Lifetime Warranty that will take care of you in case the collar and leash do not meet up to your expectations. But the more you use this collar and leash bundle the more you will see how well your German Shepherd walks and the happier you will be when on walks.
- Comes with a leash
- Made in the USA
- Self-adjusting collar
- Ideal to be used during leash training
- Comes with a training guide eBook
- Some customers have reported the braiding unraveled after several months of use
- Some customers have reported the metal leash ring broke with strong pulling dogs
When putting on the Olivery make sure it is positioned high on the neck so you don’t damage your German Shepherd’s throat.
- More Control – Provides the limited range of a standard choke collar for additional control but features the convenience of adjustable sizing for added comfort
- Perfect for Training – The collar size adjusts as pressure is applied to the leash, making this collar the ideal choice for puppies learning to walk on a leash
- Safe Design – Each martingale collar is equipped with a limited closure design which ensures that the collar will not ever fully close or injure pets
- A Wide Range of Sizes – Comes in three sizes ranging from 13 inches to 34 inches for a comfortable, safe fit on dogs of a wide variety of breeds
- Various Colors Available – Choose the style that suits your pup’s personality; Available in black, blue, light blue, pink, purple and red
When shopping for a collar for German Shepherd that will not damage their throat the Guardian Gear will ensure that safety.
- Available Sizes—13”-18”, 16”-24”, 22”-34”
- Available Colors—Black, Blue, Light Blue, Pink, Purple, Red
You want to be able to control your German Shepherd whether they are leash trained or not. Every dog has the potential to suddenly act out, even the most trained dog, so you need to have tools you can rely on to regain control over them within seconds.
This martingale style collar works by reacting to the pressure placed on the leash and tightens around your German Shepherds neck to help stop them from pulling. The more they pull the tighter the collar gets but it will not choke your dog.
Its limited closure design is specifically made to never fully close and never injure your dog. You can use this collar with any type of leash as its chain and leash ring turns with the wiggliest of dogs and makes it less of a struggle on you to constantly stop and adjust positions.
Make sure to measure your dog’s neck correctly, giving enough space to place two fingers between the collar and your dog’s neck to ensure the collar is neither on too tight nor too loose for your German Shepherd to slip out.
- Fully adjustable
- Limited closure design to prevent injuries
- Weighs 2.4 ounces
- Some customers have claimed their dog escaped when the collar was in the slack position
- Sizes run big
While some people are hesitant to use a collar, such as the Guardian Gear, as long as it is adjusted and placed correctly on your German Shepherd’s neck you will not have to fear of hurting your dog.
Herm Sprenger Ultra
- HERM SPRENGER PRONG COLLAR: Our dog collars, dog training collars and dog training tools are safe and with proper use
- DOG PRONG COLLAR: High-quality, steel chrome plated; Fits dogs with up to a 16-inch neck
- PRONG COLLAR: This dog training collar features safety ends for the safety of the dog and the owner
- DOG CORRECTION COLLAR: Center plate allows for even pressure/correction
- PINCH COLLAR FOR DOGS: The HERM SPRENGER Ultra-Plus Prong Training Collar provides similar usage to a pinch collar for dogs
Sometimes nylon or fabric collars are not enough for large breed dogs like German Shepherds. That is where the Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus comes in for that extra security.
- Available Sizes—Small, Medium, Heavy, X-Heavy
- Available Colors—Silver
Sprenger puts safety above all else in their collars. Each of the points on this collar is rounded instead of spiked so it will not dig into your dog’s skin to hurt them and it will not pull out their fur during use. It works by tightening as your dog pulls to try and correct their behavior.
As your dog pulls the steel center plate spreads the pulling pressure evenly around the collar similar to how a pinch collar works to correct your German Shepherd’s actions. But even if they still pull the collar will not fully choke them.
This collar is also one of the thicker types of corrective collars available. You will not have to worry about the collar being too thin and hurting your dog. In case the collar was to be too tight on your German Shepherd you can easily add more chain links, which are included with the collar, to ensure a snug fit that will not choke your dog.
This collar will quickly become your go-to tool when it comes to controlling your German Shepherd during walks.
- Rounded spikes for optimal safety
- High-quality material
- Can be extended or reduced by adding or removing chain parts
- Some customers have reported it was difficult to reassemble the collar when released incorrectly
Make sure that you have the best control over your German Shepherd when out and about with the Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus.
$15.95 in stock
7 used from $11.96
- VET RECOMMENDED AND TRAINER DESIGNED: This headcollar instinctively redirects your dog’s tendency to pull by placing gentle pressure on pain-free points and eliminating pressure on his throat
- TEACHES BETTER LEASH MANNERS: Gently and safely helps you control unwanted leash behaviors like pulling, lunging and jumping for even the most determined pullers
- NO MORE COUGHING AND CHOKING: A padded neoprene nose loop puts pressure on the back of the neck instead of your dog’s throat, which prevents choking and gagging
- ALLOWS FULL RANGE OF MOTION: Take greater control during your neighborhood strolls while still allowing your dog to bark, eat, drink and play fetch
- EASY TO FIT: Use the adjustable nose loop and quick-snap neck strap to properly fit the headcollar on your furry friend in minutes
Not every dog reacts well to a collar, so if your German Shepherd happens to be one of those dogs try using the PetSafe Gentle Leader.
- Material—Nylon, Neoprene
- Available Sizes—Petite, Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
- Available Colors—Apple Green, Black, Deep Purple, Fawn, Raspberry Pink, Red, Royal Blue, Silver
For the German Shepherd that is not comfortable with wearing a collar this alternative style of the collar will help them relax and still give you control over them during walks. A gentle leader head collar slips over your dog’s head and nose comfortably while still allowing them to open and close their mouth.
Have more control over your dog since dogs lead their actions with their heads. If they were to turn their head their body moves with them. Correct them to walk forward with a gentle tug on the head collar. Dogs will not choke with this headcollar nor have their skin or fur damaged.
See results almost instantly and as long as you continue to use the head collar regularly you will no longer have to worry about having a highly active dog when on a walk. Your German Shepherd will listen to you and see you as their alpha in no time.
And if you need any further help PetSafe more than welcomes calls from pet owners to set them along the right training path.
- Fully adjustable
- Helps control unwanted behaviors
- Helps create stress-free walks
- Provides you with gentle control over your dog
- Comes with how to use video instructions
- Some customers have reported that the quality has gone down compared to previous purchases
- Not ideal for dogs with short noses
The PetSafe Gentle Leader allows you to better control your German Shepherd in a safe and more natural feeling way for your dog.
3 used from $10.34
- At Mighty Paw, we believe that training your dog can be a positive bonding experience. That's why we created the Mighty Paw Martingale-Style Limited Cinch Collar. The Mighty Paw Brand was created by dog lovers for dog lovers. We are a family owned and operated business out of Rochester, NY.
- MARTINGALE-STYLE LIMITED CINCH COLLAR: The limited cinch collar was designed to make training with your dog safe and effective. The traditional choke collar is aggressive and uses uncontrolled force to correct negative behaviors. The Mighty Paw martingale-style collar tightens under tension but only tightens enough to provide a (subtle) controlled training cue to your dog. Endorsed by thousands of trainers, this collar is preferred because of its gentle nature and extreme effectiveness.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The Mighty Paw Limited Cinch Collar is constructed with premium quality nylon and reflective stitching that will keep you and your furry friend visible even when the sun goes down. The 100% iron chain provides the perfect balance of durability, functionality, and aesthetic appeal. As compared to nylon based martingale collars the chain in the martingale-style collar creates an audible sound under tension. This sound further enhances the training connection.
- 100% IRON CHAIN: The Mighty Paw Limited Cinch Collar is constructed with premium quality nylon, reflective stitching, and a 100% iron chain. This is the ultimate balance between durability, functionality, and aesthetic appeal. Enhance your training with our chain-based martingale collar. The iron components of our collar create an audible sound that further reinforces your training.
- SECURE LEASH ATTACHMENT: As a BONUS, our martingale-style cinch collar also features a single-piece D-ring attachment option. This makes it quick and easy for you to change from a training collar to standard (non-cinch) collar.
If you want to avoid the traditional aggressive choke collar then you will be pleasantly satisfied with the gentle Mighty Paw.
- Material—Nylon, Iron Chain
- Available Sizes—Small, Medium, Large
- Available Colors—Black, Grey
This martingale collar is designed to help you have better control over your dog. The more your dog pulls the tighter the collar becomes but only enough to provide a subtle controlled training cue, not to hurt your dog or damage their throat like traditional choke collars are known to cause.
It’s premium nylon material, reflective stitching, and iron chain give you the ideal balance of durability, functionality, long-lasting use, and aesthetic appeal. With constant use, your dog will always listen to you whether they have walking issues or not.
- Limited cinch collar design
- Features a single-piece D-ring to switch between training and normal collars
- Creates a sound under pressure to further help with training
- Some customers have reported the silver coloring on the chain comes off
Bonding with your German Shepherd starts with the tools you use to train them. If you want a strong bond with your German Shepherd then use the Mighty Paw when walking your loyal companion.
As you see, the collars we have suggested either pull against your German Shepherd when they pull or slip around over their head. The collars that tighten when your German Shepherd pulls are best used when they are placed high on your German Shepherd’s neck.
This way, you can avoid hurting or damaging their throat while being able to control them quickly should they start to get out of hand.
But even if your German Shepherd does not have pulling issues these collars are still one of the best to use since it adjusts to your German Shepherd’s thicker neck. For the collars that slip around their head, it works similar to how horse reigns work.
Dogs rely heavily on their senses and whatever they see, smell, hear, or taste can control their actions. You can keep your German Shepherd’s attention on you if they were to get distracted with a gently tug redirecting their focus.
The best part about leader head collars is that they will not damage your German Shepherd’s throat if it is pulled too hard. Whichever style of collar you decide to go with will still provide you safe control over your German Shepherd.
Best Collar for German Shepherd
Choosing a collar for a German Shepherd is made easier with these reviews!
- Olivery Heavy Duty Dog Martingale Braided Collar
- Guardian Gear Choke-Style Adjustable Martingale Dog Collar
- Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Prong Training Collar
- PetSafe Gentle Leader Head Collar
- Mighty Paw Martingale Collar