It’s happened to most of us. You come home after a long day at work and open the door to fluff everywhere. Your precious pooch has shredded the expensive bed you bought for him just last week.
Let’s face it. Dog beds are not cheap. No one wants their beloved pet to have to sleep on the hard floor, especially older pets with hip and joint problems. Yet, every time you provide a bed for your dog, he destroys it.
The fact that you are not alone is evidenced by the number of dog beds on the market with the claim to hold up to destructive dogs. There are several descriptions for these beds including chew-proof, chew-resistant and indestructible.
The costs of these beds are generally higher than the average dog bed. Some companies offer guarantees or replacement warranties if the bed is chewed or destroyed.
Best Chew Proof Dog Beds
- Patented, CHEWPROOF HIGH STRENGTH, lightweight aircraft grade aluminum frame supports up to 250lbs.
- Elevated/Raised orthopedic design to keep your dog dry, cool, and comfortable indoors and outdoors.
- Easy to Clean, guaranteed to stand up to repeated cleaning.
- Heavy Duty 40oz solid vinyl is our most durable fabric. Its ideal for determined diggers and larger,heavier dogs. Its smooth surface is easy to clean. And great for outdoor use.
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY / Outside Dimensions: 30x20x7 / Fabric Area: 26x16 / Does Not Come Assembled
This Kuranda is an elevated chew-proof dog bed that comes with a PVC or aluminum frame and a Cordura fabric hammock.
Available in several sizes this bed can accommodate all sizes of dogs. The aluminum-framed beds are suitable for indoor/outdoor use while some of the PVC frames are only suitable for indoor use.
This is best categorized as an indestructible dog bed and there are several color options to choose from.
The bed is chew proof mostly because it does not give the dog any place to chew and the heavy-duty fabric is abrasion resistant to help prevent your dog from ripping the fabric.
If you have a very large dog (over 100lbs), it is recommended that you choose the aluminum frame option.
- No fabric edges to entice chewers
- Cooling, breathable mesh
- Orthopedic design
- Hammock design may be unattractive to some dogs
- Less comfortable than memory foam
- Can be pricy for some designs
The Kuranda bed has excellent customer reviews. While there were still a few complaints of dogs ripping the fabric, for actual indestructibility, this is one of the best designs on the market.
The 1-year warranty will replace frame parts and fabric damaged by dogs at no charge during the warranty coverage period.
The biggest complaint by purchasers was that their dog had no interest in the bed and preferred to sleep on the floor rather than climb into the hammock. Most purchasers agree that the chew-proof dog bed is worth the price if their dogs will use it.
- VIRTUALLY INDESTRUCTIBLE DOG BED: For diggers, scratchers & dogs who are tough on their bed. (for heavy persistent chewers search for our - K9 Ballistic Chew Proof Elevated Dog Bed)
- DURABLE RIPSTOP BALLISTIC COVER: Scratch resistant, waterproof, and dig proof cover. Comfy design that's removable, machine washable, and easy to clean.
- ORTHOPEDIC DOG BED: We use CertiPUR-US foam which we cut ourselves in our manufacturing facility in the United States. Our orthopedic dog bed mattress won't allow your dog to sink through to the floor. Even the largest and heaviest dogs cannot flatten this orthopedic dog bed!
- SMALL TO LARGE DOG BED SIZES: We make dog beds for every size breed from Pomeranian to Malamute & Great Dane. Small, medium, large, and even giant dogs have plenty of room to stretch out on this dog mattress. Just be sure to pick the correct size bed!
- CHEW PROOF PROMISE: If your dog damages their tough dog bed within 120 days after receiving it, we will issue you a one-time store credit that can be used to replace your damaged bed.
K9 Ballistics states this bed is designed for moderate chewers and resists chewing by 90% of dogs.
The bed is covered with ripstop nylon that prevents small punctures or tears from becoming long gashes in the fabric. Inside is a 5-inch mattress with a combo of memory foam and support foam. Additionally, the bed has a waterproof liner.
There are several size options along with many fabric color options to fit your décor. The company offers a 10-year warranty against flattening and a 90-day guarantee against chewing and will replace the cover once if your dog chews it.
- Ripstop ballistic nylon cover
- 90 day chew proof guarantee
- High price point
- Not appropriate for aggressive chewers.
- The guarantee only applies to replacement of cover – does not replace foam
The K9 Ballistics appears to be very comfortable for dogs that have hip and joint problems and is pretty durable. The biggest negative reviews were owners of dogs that chewed through the entire bed in a matter of days.
As the company claims, this bed would appear not to be for aggressive chewers. On the downside, this bed has a very high price point, so if you have any concern that your dog may more on the aggressive side with his chewing, you may want to forgo this model and go to the elevated Cujo Cot by K9 Ballistics.
- 2 LAYER of COVERS - Removable washable MicroSuede external zipper cover in khaki color + Waterproof internal zipper cover for comfort, easy cleaning and long lasting.
- ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - Solid 47"X29"X4" Top rated Gel-infused temperature regulating memory foam provide the support and relieves the pain of arthritis, will not flat overtime to promote better sleep and healthy joint.
- THERAPEUTIC COOLING LUXURIOUS COMFORT - Better than average human grade mattress with conforming therapeutic comfort. The combined benefits of pressure point relief, alignment support, cooler sleeping surface, less allergens and motion isolation come together to create the ideal environment for deeper and more restful sleep.
- MACHINE WASHABLE COVER - Comfort Microfiber Suede cover with strong zipper in gusset style and extra stitching to prolong the life of the bed, wash after wash.
- HIGHEST QUALITY - Premium materials, quality construction and smart features providing many years of comfort and support with excellent value for your money. Try it yourself and you will love it too.
The Dogbed4less Orthopedic Bed is chew resistant with a durable, machine washable 1680D nylon outer cover.
An internal cover provides waterproof protection to the 4-inch gel-infused memory foam mattress. The bed comes in several sizes to accommodate most dogs and comes in a few different colors.
There does not appear to be any replacement warranty, but the company does offer both internal and external replacement covers.
- Rugged, tear-resistant nylon cover
- Memory foam mattress
- No warranty or guarantee
- Externa zipper may attract chewers
- Limited style options
The Dogbed4less Orthopedic Bed has great customer reviews with the majority of negative reviews being complaints that the dog did not like the bed. Other negative reviews were in regard to the quality.
Although it is nice that the company sells replacement covers, the biggest concern with this product is the lack of warranty and return support.
Be aware that the bed is chew resistant, not chew proof and that if your dog does destroy the bed, you likely won’t get any replacement support from the manufacturer.
The Dog’s Balls
$104.99 in stock
- Large Grey Plush 40” x 25” x 6” premium quality waterproof orthopedic dog bed. Solid 2” premium grade, high density, orthopedic memory foam over a solid 4” base of high stability premium support foam with covers designed so that your bed fits your home decor seamlessly and your dog can stay close to the family
- A prudent preventative measure for younger dogs of breeds predisposed to joint conditions, ensuring your dog’s joints remain mobile into their senior years, improving their quality of life and keeping your dog healthy and active for longer
- Therapeutic bed designed to provide relief and comfort to tripawds, dogs with joint conditions such as hip and elbow dysplasia, arthritis, patellar luxation, osteochondritis and other conditions such as torn cruciate ligaments so they can get the rest they need. Prevents elbow calluses as well as pressure sores due to immobility during illness or post-surgery
- The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic was designed to keep your best friend’s joints young for longer. We receive overwhelmingly positive feedback from pet guardians who credit The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic with restoring the mobility and vitality of their dogs, as well as helping their dogs to sleep more soundly.
- Bed comes with removable covers that are easy to wash, quick-drying and include a waterproof mattress protector to catch accidents associated with incontinence. Replacement covers can be purchased separately from amazon.com/shops/thedogsballs
The Dogs Bed is not specifically marketed as a chew proof or chew resistant bed but is covered in a durable, waterproof fabric that is resistant to abrasion and chemicals.
The mattress is dense, hypoallergenic foam surrounded by a tube-shaped bolster pillow. The pillow can be removed as well as the mattress so that the cover can be washed.
Another nice design detail is the effort to eliminate choking hazards. The cover is machine washable. The bed comes in 5 different sizes and several color options.
- Durable cover with reinforced stitching
- Lower price point
- Noisy fabric may repel some dogs
- The zipper is attractive to some chewers
- Thin mattress
The biggest customer complaint was the ease with which dogs destroyed it. Most complained that the zipper was the weak point in the bed. Others complained that their dog was afraid of the noise made by the fabric.
Overall, most people loved the waterproof bed that could be easily wiped down and most dogs seemed to enjoy sleeping on the bed. The price point is lower than other beds in this article, but no warranty or guarantee is offered by the manufacturer.
- Available in 3 sizes; medium (36" x 27"), large (42" x 30") and extra- large (48" x 36")
- These beds are chew proof and waterproof; They are so tough we guarantee the bed and will replace the cover one time with proof of purchase
- Available in Atlantic Night, Belgian Chocolate and Champagne colors
- Machine Wash
The TuffutLux bed sports a stylish chew proof, waterproof liner that is also machine washable. It is the most attractive of all the beds included in this article.
The ripstop nylon cover is stitched in a quilted diamond pattern and comes in 3 different colors to fit your home décor. This bed was a 2015 Editor’s Choice Winner by Pet Product News.
As stated by the company the material has 6X higher abrasion resistance than other beds and has 2.5X more tear strength than most fabrics. Only three sizes of beds are available.
The manufacturer guarantees the bed with a one-time cover replacement if chewed.
- Stylish quilted cover.
- Heavy-duty rip-stop nylon.
- Cover replacement guarantee.
- The zipper can attract chewers
- Higher price point
- Not 100% chew proof
This bed is a stylish chew-proof option, although not entirely suitable for aggressive chewers. Although the company does guarantee one replacement cover if damaged by your dog, there are no alternatives if your dog rips the cover a second time.
The company does not sell replacement covers. The bed has mixed reviews which were the lowest average review in this article, but still received overall positive reviews. Again, the TuffutLux bed is one of the most expensive beds covered in this article.
A search for Chew proof, chew-resistant or indestructible beds will give you hundreds of results on the internet, but if you do your research, you will see that most of these beds have only fair or poor reviews.
It would seem that the most indestructible form of bed is the cot style bed with hidden edges. The more traditional, memory foam beds have more weak points and are more prone to destruction by determined chewers.
Choosing a dog bed is based on many factors including style, comfort, size, cost, convenience and level of durability.
If your dog is an aggressive or determined chewer, your options are much more limited than if your dog is easily repelled from chewing by lack of easy targets.
Keep in mind that many companies do not offer any kind of warranty or guarantee for their chew proof beds.
If a company does offer a warranty, pay attention to limits on the number of days to make a claim and if the warranty covers just the cover or the mattress as well.
Best Chew Proof Dog Bed
Dogs can be destructive when they want to be! Especially when left home alone and often their bed is the first thing to get destroyed. Purchasing a chew proof dog bed can help!
- K9 Ballistics
- The Dog's Balls
- HuggleHounds TuffutLuxx