Coffee can’t wake a dog owner up quite like seeing a pet tent go scooting across a bedroom floor. Sure, a pop up dog tent can be used on actual campgrounds. But the softer material on most puppy tents beats a crate.
Keep in mind that the tent should be comfortable enough for your dog to sleep next to you on campgrounds without waking you up all night. And if your pup is the clingy type that prefers your physical companionship, some of these are also comfy enough for you to crawl in if need be.
Made of various materials and easy to set up for instant dog naps, these 12 options are also a simpler way to build a doghouse in the corner of your backyard. The options are endless.
12 Best Dog Camping Tents
You can go camping or to the beach without your pup, but why would you want to? Use this portable option as a pet house, camping tent or as a car compartment area in your backseat.
- Front porch and detachable awning to protect against rain
- Carry-on bag included
- Available in small (23.6 x 26.3 inches), medium (29.5 x 31 inches), large (35.4 x 35.4 inches)
If you know how to operate an umbrella, then you can easily set this pet tent up, too. Just pull and set down in your specified location. If there is any initial resistance, just release, shake and try the initial set up again.
- No assembly required
- Claw-proof mesh windows
- Several users confirmed it may not hold up well under windy weather
- A few users reported the legs would collapse too easily or not hold firmly on certain platforms
This tent has a one-year limited warranty.
Let’s face it. The super plush fabric of this tent is probably not your best bet for the outside world. But all it takes is a cardboard box or a picnic blanket to keep the bottom from getting dirty and provide a bit more snuggle for your pup’s next camping trip.
- Sandy beige
- Removable cushioned pillow
- Available in medium (16 x 14) and large (19 x 19)
This may be harder to clean while outside, and definitely on rainy days, but that’ll just make you more cognizant of the weather for your next camping trip. For dogs who already race you to your own bed comforter, blankets and couch will probably want to hang out in here more than the hard surface of other pet tents anyway. It’s also easy to carry at only 2.2. pounds.
- Machine washable (pillow and tent)
- Universal for pets of all ages
- Not chew resistant
- Warranty policy is unclear
Because this pet tent may need to be reshaped and hung to dry, plot on a dry area first before washing this such as your backyard or deck.
This tent, which is made from woven upholstery-grade fabric, should be long-lasting. Made in a facility with strict guidelines, the material is also safe around children.
- Four color combinations (desert, woodland, seacoast, lake)
- One size (24.8 x 24.8 x 29.1 inches)
- Built-in pine wood poles (for easy setup)
Set up the poles into their respective positions, and insert the removable interior pillow for added comfort. The lead-free zipper can keep avid chewers from ingesting toxins. The furniture-grade craftsmanship and even-basting stitching are designed to make sure that this tent is worth it for the long haul.
- Machine washable
- Electric dryer friendly
- May not suitable for all dog sizes
- Interior cushion cannot be washed by machine
This teepee tent has a short 30-day limited warranty.
At 2 pounds, this can be used as an indoor tent or for travel purposes.
- Available in five color patterns (plaid, gray lattice, brown, beige, gray)
- Available in two sizes: Medium (16 x 14) and X-large (19 x 19)
- Poly-foam lining (soft)
Although it can be used for camping, playgrounds, and parks, it is definitely suitable as a soft-padded crate. Be careful with pups who are not house-trained yet to avoid a messy foam area.
- Machine washable (gentle cycle)
- Interchangeable as a bed
- Line dry (not ideal for electric quick drying)
- Warranty policy unclear on post
Although there is a large version of this pet tent, it’s not intended for very large dogs. Pay attention to the dimensions of the tent before purchase.
For backpackers, this tent can easily fit inside your pack or put it in your backseat. Pop up in seconds without complicated assembly requirements.
- Available in two sizes: Small (20 x 20 inches) and Large (30 x 30 inches)
- Upgraded metal frame
- Rip-stop nylon and polyester
This material provides a safe hideaway from the sun and wind. The mesh windows and thick rip-stop nylon is sturdy enough for traveling in various weather conditions. The upgraded zippers and metal snaps also come in handy for heavy-duty quality.
- Lightweight design
- Stands up to windy days
- Not ideal for electric washing or drying (hand wash and hang dry only)
- Warranty policy is unclear
You can even add a little personal flair on the customizable hook-and-loop fastener area.
If you’re not a natural Girl Scout (or Boy Scout) who can just put things together in seconds, finding instant options are the way to go. The cross-brace construction and instant setup options for this pet tent should be fairly uncomplicated.
- Silver coating fly fabric
- Three mesh screens and one mesh door
- Anti-shear shock fiberglass poles
Enjoy this dog tent at the park, forest, garden, camping or country tour, a road trip or training. Available in blue or brown, the inner space dimensions are 36 x 36 x 26 and the outer dimensions are 43 x 43 x 32 inches. Made of 600D PU coating oxford cloth, it also has high tension and has anti-claw scratch and bite features for the more active dog.
- Warranty agreement is unclear
- 11-month giant Schnauzer destroyed it in 24 hours
When you’re done with the tent, put it in the carry-on bag and go on your way to your next destination.
This puppy tent comes in handy for both indoor and outdoor activity, and it can be washed as needed.
- Available in medium and large
- Available colors (blue, coffee, rose red)
- Oxford cloth with mesh material
The medium version is 19.69 x 19.69 x 17.72 inches. The larger version is 23.62 x 23.62 x 21.65 inches. This pop-up tent is easy to unfold and install at a moment’s notice. When you’re done with it, just roll the breathable tent back into its carrying case.
- Easy-to-clean polyester fabric
- Lightweight and foldable
- Neither size intended for large dogs
- Flammable product that should never be used by unsupervised children
Although the seller warranty is unclear, there is a note from the seller regarding the “best service” for additional inquiries.
This lightweight, portable pet home works well for large dog owners (up to 70 pounds) who are already crate-trained.
- Top and front entry doors
- Heavy-duty zippers with door locks
- Available in five sizes (20 inches, 24 inches, 28 inches, 32 inches, 36 inches)
With no assembly required, this tightly weaved mesh fabric should be able to hold up against large dogs indoors and for your camping needs. As long as your dog’s height is at least one to two inches shorter than the door frame, your dog should be able to easily walk in and out. Make sure there’s at least four to six inches of room from the base of his tail, too, so he can lay down comfortably.
- Extra strong steel frame
- Not intended for dogs who have not been crate trained
- Warranty policy unclear in any of the three online manuals
As with any other cloth fabric, this may not be the best option for aggressive chewers and scratchers. Watch your dog closely if you see this pattern.
This multi-ventilation slot is not only environmentally friendly, it also to provide breathable material for more humid days.
- Available in small (18 x 15 x 13 inches), additional small (28 x 28 x 18 inches), medium (35 x 35 x 24 inches)
- Two-door design
- Available in four (brown, red, rose, champagne)
Intended for both small and large dogs, this pen kennel can be used both indoors and outdoors. Made from lightweight and durable EVA, it has a waterproof bottom (and top) for damp days and resistant against rust. The foldable material can be easily carried by just zipping the top and bottom areas together.
- Multiple ventilation slots (eight)
- Insulation and soundproof
- Champagne color is only available in the smallest size
- Not ideal for puppies who aren’t puppy trained; one user said it will leak
This tent is covered by a 100 percent refund and a lifetime warranty.
You may not get a scout badge for setting this portable pet tent up, but you’ll feel like you accomplished something once you’re done.
- 100 percent polyester material
- Carry-on bag included
- Orange and coffee color pattern
One of the biggest problems with plush and cushioned beds in the summer months are they’re just too hot. This is when polyester versions like these (27.6 x 21.7 x 20.9 inches) come in handy, keeping already furry dogs cool when it’s hot. Removable and washable (on gentle cycle or by hand), it can be cleaned as needed.
- Assembly required
- Warranty policy unclear
This pet tent may not be suitable for large dogs. Check the tent measurements, as well as your dog’s size, before purchase.
Available for indoor and outdoor use, this pet house requires no assembly. It’s compact and lightweight, and perfect for camping, picnicking and backyard needs.
- Available in three sizes: Small (17 x 22 x 22 inches); Medium (25 x 32 x 28 inches); Large (30 x 42 x 32 inches)
- 600 denier nylon fabric
- Metal frame
With a mesh center, two windows, and an open entrance, this relaxing dog camping tent can protect dogs from rain or the heat from sun. Each side of the pet house has a window that can be unzipped and rolled open if your dog needs additional airflow.
- Water resistant
- Bacteria, mold and mildew resistant
- May not be a good idea for puppies still learning balance and are overly curious; their paws can get stuck in the gaps
- Keep an eye on side strings to avoid dogs chewing near the material-to-leg attachment area
This pet tent is covered by a one-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Whether your pet needs a spacious place to play or a comfortable place to nap, this portable fabric pet playpen is a perfect place for your pup to camp out. Just set it where you want it to stay (for the moment), and it will pop up within a few seconds. When you’re ready to move on, just fold it flat to store in its carrying case.
- Available in four colors (black, blue, maroon, green)
- Zipper closure for roof and flooring (removable top zipper)
- Four stainless steel anchors (bonus)
With an eight-panel design and protected seams, this water-resistant and durable playpen can be used indoors and outdoors. For dogs who are not potty trained, the removable bottom may save you from a few extra washes on the bottom of the dog camper. If need be, you can close the door to keep your pet safely inside. It is also BPA-safe, lead-safe and phthalates-safe.
- Waterproof bottom zipper
- No assembly required
- Crafty pets may easily escape, especially if the bottom is removed (they may duck underneath)
- Not ideal for untrained dogs who may chew on material, zippers or screens
If this is not the tent you’re looking for, it is backed by a 100 percent money-back guarantee.
As one dog owner said, “You can lead a horse (or dog) to water …” As cool as these 12 dog beds are, the final decision will be up to your dog to decide. Take note of the comfort level your dog already needs before purchasing one of the pet tents above.
If your dog is more likely to enjoy the comfort of a cold floor, a plush interior probably won’t be desirable. If your dog speeds right by you to snuggle under your covers, then softer and warmer are better.
Once you’ve gotten the material down, then it’s time to take your campground or park’s weather conditions into consideration. Are you more of a summer camper wearing sunglasses or rainy, cooler or even snowy weather kind of camper?
If it’s rainy, then make sure the pet bed is waterproof. If it’s hot or humid days, stock up on water canteens and cooling pet beds for your fluffy pup. Pick up a pair of hiking, summer, or snow boots for your pooch depending on the weather when you are camping (don’t forget a sleeping bag also)!
Decide which ones meet the durability and architectural preferences that suit you and your pet best, and enjoy your next trip.
For more pet essentials visit the DogStruggles homepage!
12 Best Dog Camping Tents
Here are the ratings for the top 12 camping tents for dogs.
Best Pet Supplies
K & H