Hey Labradoodle lover, what type of coat does your dog have?
Whether you have a curly-coated Labradoodle or a dog with a wavy or flat coat, this makes a difference in keeping them looking at their sleek and glossy best.
Indeed, the best brush for Labradoodle to a large part depends on what type of coat they have.
5 Best Brushes for Labradoodles
The hair coat: This also goes by the name of ‘flat’ or ‘slick’ coat. This owns its appearance to a large dose of influence from the Labrador side of the family. Think of a healthy Lab with a glossy seal-like coat and you get the picture.
If you’re not sure if your dog is wavy, curly, or somewhere in between, let’s take the rough with the smooth and quickly recap on the features of your fur-friends coat and how to spot which type they have.
- The wavy coat: Also known as a ‘borderline’ or ‘wavy’ coat, this owes heritage to both sides of the family, poodle, and Lab. The hairs are of intermediate length and have a distinct wave, but don’t quite make it to the full curl.
- The curly coat: Those in the know refer to this as a ‘fleece’ and it comes from a preponderance of poodle over Labrador. Those tight hair-like curls are luxurious, to say the least. Oh, it’s this coat type that gets the approval of being a low-shedding, low allergen type.
Of course, Labradoodles were originally bred to provide a low allergy service dog.
The idea was to combine a low allergy breed like the poodle with the service characteristics of the smooth-coated Labrador.
If you have allergies and are relying on a Labradoodle to be completely hypoallergenic, then know that there’s no such thing.
Dogs that shed less are less likely to trigger allergies, but they still have dander with the potential to cause a reaction.
The Labradoodle is a compromise, which for some people with allergies can make all the difference.
So know that to reduce the risk of an allergic reaction, look for a curly-coated Labradoodle…
So, with that said, let’s take this knotty problem and untangle it to discover positively the best brush for Labradoodle fur of all three types (and those in between.)
2-in-1 Pet Glove
- Forget about shedding - Our Glove easily removes loose pet hair and tangles so no fur goes flying
- Remove hair from furniture - Glove's velour side effectively cleans fur from furniture & carpets
- Pets love glove - Rubber tips provide gentle relaxing massage. Petting is better than pet chasing
- For short, medium & long coat - Extra gentle for daily grooming. Perfect for sensitive & young pets
- Make your grooming routine easy - With this glove you'll keep your pet attractive and home hair-free
This Pat your Pet brush makes grooming your dog as easy as giving them a stroke.
The secret is that this isn’t a brush at all, but a clever mitt that slips onto your hand.
The palm is covered in rubber tips which when stroked over the coat drags out those shed hair, smoothing as it goes.
Oh yes, did we mention that the slick coated Labradoodle sheds just like a Labrador?
This is a major difference between the other two coat types.
Because it owes allegiance to the shedding parent, the Labrador, the coat has similar characteristics.
Those shed hairs do one of two things: They either fall out completely to drift like tumbleweed across your laminate flooring, or they stay trapped in the coat giving it a dull, dry appearance.
Either way, using Pat your Pet product is the best brush for a Labradoodle with this coat type as it dislodges those hairs and traps them on the mitt.
Things get even better because the other side of this grooming tool is made from velour.
Simply rub this over your hair encrusted cushions to de-fur them and get your soft furnishing back on track.
We chose this product because it gets our pets’ approval.
Fur babies who have grown weary and run from the Furminator’s teeth will run towards you to be brushed with this grooming mitt.
The secret is the massage that those rubber tips give the skin, which also spreads the natural skin oils throughout the coat.
This means two jobs (or three if you count the soft furnishings) for the price of one product.
Got to be dog-gone good!
Andis Pet Premium Pin Brush
- Removes tangles, dirt and loose hair
- Stimulates skin and hair follicles
- Helps spread natural oils through the coat to promote growth & healthy looking hair
- Pinhead bristles for greater pet comfort during grooming
- Soft-Grip handle for reduced hand fatigue
The wavy coated labradoodle is a distinctive chap with his long waxy curls with the appearance of an adorably shaggy dog.
But that luxurious coat comes with its own set of problems in that it’s liable to sweep up burrs, leaves, and twigs and is prone to knotting.
The perfect answer to keeping his coat looking its tangle-free best is the Andis premium pin brush.
You would use this brush for a quick tidy up after a walk, in order to free up the debris that found its way into the fur.
Then, once or twice a week do a more thorough brush through.
To do this part the coat into sections, and working with the lie of the coat, gently brush through.
When you find a knot, work away from tip to root, to free it up.
A good brush through, as well as keeping the coat knot-free, also have a conditioning action.
This is two-fold: it gently stimulates the skin and improves the blood supply, and it spreads the conditioning oils over the coat.
We selected this as the best dog brush for Labradoodles with wavy coats because of its great design and good quality.
And for those wondering what a pin brush is, it looks a lot like a traditional human hairbrush.
There is a central paddle attached to a comfort grip handle. Mounted in the paddle is a cushion containing pins with rounded tips.
These facilitate thorough grooming but without scratching or damaging the skin.
However, like any product, be aware that this is one of the best brushes of its type, but you may need to add in other tools if your dog has a thick undercoat.
The wide spacing of the pins means that it’s not (and isn’t meant to be) a de-shedding brush, so to combat this aspect you’ll need a specific de-shedding tool that’s suitable for use on medium to longer length fur.
DakPets Deshedding Brush
- EFFECTIVE: DakPets cat and dog deshedding brush gently yet firmly removes trapped hair, reducing shedding by up to 95% in just 10 minutes. Our 4-inch cat and dog hair remover can be used on short and long-haired dogs and cats of any size, making it a convenient solution for all your pets.
- MULTIPLE BENEFITS: Our dog and cat brush for shedding removes loose hairs and lightly thins the coat without causing discomfort. This improves the health and appearance of your pet's coat, relieves stress, stimulates blood circulation, and helps you to keep your home fur-free too!
- ROBUST: DakPets cat and dog grooming brush features a strong, shatterproof handle and rust-resistant stainless steel blade. It also comes with a handy protective blade cover. This makes our dog hair brush and cat fur remover highly durable, so you can be sure it won't let you down when you need it.
- USER-FRIENDLY: This easy-grip deshedding tool for dogs and cats has a versatile detachable design that allows you to remove the comb at just the press of a button. This allows for easy cleaning, and the detached pet fur remover comb can even be used on its own for hard-to-reach areas.
- RECOMMENDED BY VETS: All DakPets’ deshedding brush for cats and dogs are approved by professional veterinarians and rigorously tested to ensure they meet the highest animal safety standards - meaning you can be sure of giving your pet the very best care with our cat and dog brushes for shedding.
The best brush for a Labradoodle curly coat is a de-shedding tool.
That curly coat with its reputation for being low shedding is the whole reason the Labradoodle came into being in the first instance.
It is dander and antigens on the hair that trigger the allergic reaction in people who suffer from an allergy to dogs.
The idea being that low shedding breeds such as the poodle pose less of a challenge as they shed less hair into the home.
However, whilst it’s true that poodle hair grows all the time, it doesn’t mean that it doesn’t fall out.
Think of this as your own hair.
Yes, it grows continually but gives it a good comb through and you’ll find hair in the brush.
The curly-coated Labradoodle is a breed less likely to trigger allergies than other breeds, but they do still need brushing.
This helps shift dead hairs from the coat, which could form mats or knots if left where they are.
The ideal tool is a de-shedding brush.
Made from stainless steel, it is both durable and a comfortable shape to hold.
The teeth remove dead hair effectively but without damaging your dog’s skin.
To use it, simply brush over the surface of the coat, letting the tool do most of the work.
Devote a few minutes each week to raking your Labradoodle’s coat over and it will keep them in tip-top condition.
The bonus is that the dog will love it too, and look forward to being groomed.
We are happy to recommend this product over its competitors, because of the excellent quality of the brush.
The high-grade stainless steel means months and years of use, and yet it will still look and work like new.
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- #1 SMALL ANIMALS, CAT & DOG HAIR BRUSH - Our pet grooming brushes for shedding fur and deshedding brush is high quality as this brush is voted Best Overall for 2022 by Spruce Pets - the ultimate dog brush for shedding and cat brush for shedding trusted by millions of fur parents!
- EFFECTIVE SLICKER BRUSH - This Hertzko self cleaning slicker brush, a dog comb and cat brush for shedding rake comb also detangles fur and removes dirt and debris, keeping your furry friend's coat shiny and healthy.
- PAWS-ITIVELY VERSATILE - This dog brush for short haired dogs and dog brush for long haired dogs is PURRfect for cats and dogs of all fur types - the perfect comb for grooming long haired and short haired dogs, cats, rabbits, and more!
- EASY TO CLEAN LONG HAIR DOG BRUSH - Simply retract slicker brush bristles with the push of a button, then wipe away collected fur effortlessly - an easy and fast cleanup!
- PAW-SOME SMART DESIGN - Hertzko self cleaning slicker brush is fine, angled bristles, ergonomic comfort grip, and push-button retraction make it easy to keep your pet looking happy and healthy.
OK, so nothing is every black and white, and you Labradoodle’s coat is somewhere on a sliding scale between flat and curly. No worries.
When you’re looking for an all-round best grooming brush for Labradoodles, one that’s pretty much guaranteed to itch the spot no matter what the coat type, then jump for the Pet Republic slicker brush.
Characteristic of a slicker brush is the ranks of fine metal pins, held in a paddle-shaped head.
These fine pins have a separating effect on the hairs of the coat, whilst removing shed hair.
There are slicker brushes on the market than there are types of dog coats, with some being much better than others.
Our recommendation in terms of durability, ease of use, and self-cleaning is this Hertzko self-cleaning brush.
The clever mechanism whereby you press a button and the hairs are released from the teeth means an end to pricked fingers when you try to free up the fur.
It’s a generally well-thought-out tool, with a handle that’s comfortable in the hand and has a non-slip grip.
Fast and Good
- The perfect brush to get all nasty mats out of your pet's fur. Fast and Good Professional Double Sided Pin & Bristle Combo Brush gently removes loose hair, and eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt. Works great on dogs and cats with all sizes and hair types!
- Get rid of mats without hurting her - The bristles are fine bent wires designed to penetrate deep into the coat and is really able to groom the undercoat well without scratching your pet's skin!
- Easy to clean, good protect with a durable slider storage bag - When you're done brushing your pet, super simple to remove all the hair from the brush. Then, put the pet brush into the durable slider storage bag to protect it after using.So it's ready for the next time use.
- Your pet will not only look good but feel great too! Our brush grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pets coat soft and shiny. Your pet will love being brushed!
- Comfortable, strong, and durable - Our Brush is specially designed with a comfort-grip and anti-slip handle, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you brush your pet!
And last but certainly not least are gorgeous teddy bear-like Labradoodle puppies.
At this young age, it’s essential that your pup grows up associating good things to grooming time.
For this, you need the best brush for Labradoodle puppy.
It’s essential to get into the habit of brushing your dog daily, right from the start.
This ensures your dog is comfortable with the brush and won’t fight you as a grown dog.
However, it’s important to use the right tool so that you don’t hurt or distress the pup.
This is why we like Fast and Good, which is double-sided and therefore two products for the price of one.
On one side are soft bristles, and on the other metal pins.
The softer side allows you to introduce the idea of a brush, in a low keyway.
Simply brush gently and praise the puppy’s good behavior.
If he seems uncertain, brush for a few seconds and then give a treat, so he sees brushing as a gateway to tasty things.
Another neat tip is to brush him immediately before mealtimes, so he gets dinner as a reward.
Once he’s happy with the softer side, flip the brush over and work for a few seconds at a time with the pins.
Practice separating his hair and gently working away at any knots or teasels.
This helps get both you and the dog into good habits.
We like this brush for being a competitive price whilst being perfectly adequate for the job.
Remember, grooming is an important part of caring for a Labradoodle.
Start at an early age and build positive associations between brushing and praise, so that your Labradoodle grows up into a brush-loving adult.
Brushing helps spread natural conditioning oils over the coat and stops tangles from forming.
Regular grooming is fair preferable to occasional blitz since the former stop knots forming which could be painful when grooming out.
Invest in good brushes that will last a long time and are well designed so they don’t scratch your dog’s skin.
And in addition, take the type of coat your Labradoodle has into account.
From flat-coated to wavy, each has its distinct needs and by using tools designed to tackle those needs you are well on your way to happy, painless, and knot-free grooming sessions.
For the regular short and long-haired dogs check out the options available here; https://dogstruggles.com/best-dog-brushes/
Woof to that!
5 Best Dog Brushes for Labradoodles
Here are the ratings for the top 5 Labradoodle dog brushes.
2-in-1 Pet Glove
Andis Pet Premium Pin Brush
Rolf Club 3D Flea and tick collar
Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
Fast and Good