The Australian shepherd has a special love of the great outdoors and is never happier than when running across open fields.
Of course, this does make them prone to picking up leaves, twigs, grass awns, and debris in their coat, which makes regular grooming essential.
The Australian shepherd, affectionately known as the “Aussie”, is something of an enigma.
For example, the very name itself, the ‘Australian’ shepherd is a misnomer because they didn’t originate from Australia at all.
Indeed, the breed’s roots lie in the western US around the time of the gold rush, where they were bred as herding dogs to tend cattle.
11 Best Dog Brushes For Australian Shepherd
Thus, the breed is a great choice for those who want to get out and about with their canine companion, and involved in energetic activities such as agility and obedience. However, this high energy but highly sociable breed most definitely has a place in the modern world, as they make excellent family dogs, especially when given plenty of exercises and a job to do.
When wondering “What is the best brush for an Australian shepherd?” it’s essential to keep the nature of their coat in mind.
Not only does the Aussie have distinctive coloring with the marvelous merle patterns, but they also have a medium-length, plush, double-layered coat.
This was originally useful to protect them from the worst excesses of the climate, but when you wear the canine equivalent of a suit of armor all the time it needs the care to keep it in good condition.
Indeed, that double coat is best kept in tip-top condition using more than one tool.
The needs of the long outer guard hairs are different from the soft, fluffy undercoat, so consider investing in a couple of different types of brush for optimal results.
Our next best dog brush for Australian shepherd is the Zoom Groom.
It is highly recommended for the Aussie shepherd who isn’t keen on being brushed, as it mimics being licked by another dog.
This takes some of the stress out of grooming and encourages your dog to relax rather than get stressed out.
The Zoom Groom is a most excellent tool for improving coat condition, but be aware that it won’t remove knots or tangles.
This means it’s a super addition to your grooming tools, but isn’t suitable as your only item.
The Zoom Groom has built its reputation on its brushes clinging to shed hair like a magnet to iron filings.
It works by friction, with the rubber teeth gripping onto shed hair to drag it out of the coat.
It can also be brushed over the upholstery and soft furnishings, to remove some of the shed from there.
It has a pleasant massaging action, which is also highly beneficial for improving the blood circulation to the skin and distributing natural oils in order to promote a healthy coat.
It doesn’t snag hairs or break them, and regular use promotes a soft, shiny coat.
With regards to this type of dog grooming tool here are many variations on a theme available, however, this remains the original and best example of its type.
Let’s cut to the chase and ask why this is a best dog slicker brush for Australian shepherd.
To start with it’s very well made and should serve you well for many years to come (unlike some cheaper slicker brushes where the pin bend or fall out after a few uses.)
Indeed, this Pet Republique slicker comes with a full one-year guarantee they are so confident in the quality of the workmanship.
The brush is also well thought through, with great touches such as the auto-clean button.
This makes for super-easy cleaning as the button retracts the metal pins meaning you can wipe away the accumulated hair.
This can make a material difference to the time it takes to groom an Aussie, as when in full molt there’s a lot of hair caught on the brush which then needs dislodging.
However, with this Pet Republique slicker, it just a matter of pressing a button and hey presto – the hairs are gone.
The quality of the wires is also good, with the right degree of flexibility that they don’t scratch but rigid enough to catch those pesky tangles.
This is a great slicker for gently working away at teasels and tangles, to remove shed fur, and to smooth the coat down after grooming with a pin brush.
Another reason this is one of the best slicker brushes for Australian shepherds is that the Pet Republique slicker will donate 15% of all profits to the American Animal Rescue Society to help with the care and rehoming of shelter pets.
The take-home message is that this is a great slicker that is easy to clean and will keep your Australian shepherd looking good for years.
Niubow Slicker Brush
- The angled flexible stainless steel ROUNDED TIPPED PINS are comfortable for your pet, good anti-static, soft mat of the brush, will not hurt your pet.
- Designed to help REMOVE mats, tangles, knots, while also PULLING OUT matted, loose and dead hair easily. Gently stimulating the skin, removing layers of dead skin cells and promoting healthy circulation.
- Handle made of high quality TPE&PP material, accord with human engineering, comfortable and effort, easy to hold and use.
- Regular grooming of your pet will help to keep your pet WELL-GROOMED & gentle care of the pet’s hair & promote a healthy, shiny coat.
- The small slicker brush fit for small dogs cats puppy poodle yorkie and rabbits, most types of coats. The large slicker brush fit for medium to large dogs and cats, most types of coats.
Top of the list of best grooming brush for an Australian shepherd is a slicker brush.
For those who are baffled by all the bewildering different types of brush available, a slicker is a flat, paddle-like brush mounted with lots of fine wires.
The brush is stroked over the surface of the dog’s coat, following the direction of the fur.
The idea is for the fine wires to grasp onto loose hair and remove them, and the slicker can also be used to lift out small knots and tangles.
The slicker is great for Australian shepherds because when the undercoat is shed, it can get trapped in the long outer hairs.
This leads to a choked up coat that looks dull and is prone to tangling.
However, using a slicker brush at least once a week (the more frequently the better) will remove those shed hairs and stop things from choking up.
However, one of the main disadvantages of the slicker brush is those metal wires!
The very thing that makes it so effective, can also scratch and irritate the skin if too much pressure is applied.
But when you use gentle sweeps rather than heavy pressure, this should not be a problem.
The Niubow brush has tipped, stainless steel pins, which makes for greater comfort during use.
Chris Christensen Oval Pin Brush
- Ground and polished tips are the smoothest available, High quality stainless steel pins
- Light-weight solid beech wood body with an easy grip handle, Durable, firm cushion
- 8 1/2″ body length, Made in Germany
Stepping things up a gear as our next best brush for an Australian shepherd is this light-weight, top quality pin brush by from Chris Christensen.
So why has this Chris Christenson brush been getting top marks across the board?
For starters its made with very high quality, it has a solid beech wood hand that is both lightweight and strong.
The pins are made from high-quality stainless steel with the tips precision ground to give the ultimate in smooth finishes.
Made in Germany, to the exact standards, it is manufactured to be extremely durable and withstand the rigors of grooming thick-coated dogs such as the Australian shepherd, rough Collie, German shepherd, and St Bernards.
So how do you choose between a slicker and a pin brush?
Great question because both have a similar action, but with minor variation.
Whilst the slicker excels at removing tangles and shed hair, the pin brush is a bit more penetrating and helps to realign the coat hairs, whilst lifting away shed.
Indeed, some people liken a pin brush as close to what you’d use on your own hair, as it separates and smooths.
The great news about this pin brush is that it’s beefy enough to get through the depths of the coat but gentle enough not to snag on the hairs.
Indeed, one of the reasons this dog brush is so popular amongst users is that it’s effective at removing tangles, whilst leaving the coat smooth and shiny looking.
Hertzko Pet Combs
- ★ THE PERFECT COMB TO REMOVE TANGLES, LOOSE & SHED FUR FROM YOUR PET’S COAT – Hertzko’s combs gently removes loose hair, and eliminates tangles, knots, dander and trapped dirt. WORKS GREAT ON DOGS AND CATS WITH ALL SIZES AND HAIR TYPES!
- ★ SUITABLE FOR BOTH SMALL & LARGE AREAS – Package includes a small and large comb for your convenience.
- ★ NO SCRATCH ROUND TEETH – Smooth ROUNDED ENDS prevents scratching, making is SAFE on your pet’s sensitive skin.
- ★ YOUR PET WILL NOT ONLY ‘LOOK’ GOOD BUT ‘FEEL’ GREAT TOO! – Our comb grooms and massages for a healthy coat, increasing blood circulation and leaves your pet’s coat soft and shiny. Our comb is perfect for finishing and fluffing.
- ★ COMFORTABLE, STRONG, AND DURABLE- Our combs are especially designed with a COMFORT-GRIP RUBBER ANTI-SLIP HANDLE, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long you comb your pet!
When thinking of taking care of an Aussie’s coat, no article on the best brush for Australian shepherd would be complete without a mention of combs.
Combs should not be overlooked amongst your grooming equipment because they play an important role in keeping that magnificent coat tangle-free.
Think of coat care in terms of human hair. If you have long hair then you need a comb to separate the strands to get rid of tangles and a brush to smooth the surface down.
Merely using a brush can mean it skips over the surface of knots without removing them, so the job is only half done.
Combing is necessary for Australian shepherds because of the longer outer coat.
Also, where hair rubs against hair such as behind the ears, in the armpits, and between the back legs, that hair is prone to knot together.
However, combing through after exercise helps to get rid of tangles before they become a problem.
If you’ve ever experienced your dog growing what appears to be an extra set of ears, then you know where we’re coming from with the whole knotted hair thing.
Happily, an inexpensive comb is a cheap and quick way to prevent this problem.
You also get two combs, one large and one small, with each having two different gauge halves.
These make it a doddle to comb out larger areas, such as the breeches with the wider gauge, and work in tighter places such as behind the ears, with the narrower gauge.
Another great feature is the comb handle is rubberized which makes it easier for arthritic hands to grip onto.
All in all, this is an excellent brush for Australian shepherds an inexpensive addition to any grooming toolbox.
Le Salon Essentials Rubber Grooming Brush
- Removes loose, shedding hair
- Perfect for bath time
- Rubber brush; easy to clean
- Ideal for short hair breeds
This is the best grooming brush for Australian shepherd puppies.
The Le Salon rubber grooming brush is extremely gentle and there are no sharp metal pins to dig into the puppy’s skin if they wriggle.
Use this brush as a nice introduction to grooming, so as to teach the puppy to enjoy being brushed.
The advantage of a rubber grooming tool is that it feels like a cross between being stroked and being massaged, and starts creating positive associations in the puppy’s mind between grooming and relaxation.
This will stand you in good stead when the puppy is an adult dog with a long coat that needs plenty of attention.
Whilst it’s true that a rubber grooming brush won’t remove tangles from a long coat, it does still have an important role to play, especially when the Aussie is a puppy.
The dragging action of the rubber helps to shift shed plus it spreads natural oils over the coat to give it a shiny and healthy appearance.
Another great thing about the Le Salon brush is that it’s suitable for use on a wet or dry coat, which enables you to use it to massage in shampoo at bath time.
To use this dog brush simply slide your fingers through the restraining strap and you’re ready to roll.
FURminator for Long Haired Dogs
1 used from $21.00
- Stainless steel deShedding edge reaches through topcoat to safely and easily remove loose hair and undercoat
- FURejector button releases hair with ease
- Ergonomic handle for comfort and easy use
- Remove loose hair without damaging the coat or cutting the skin when used as directed
- Deshedding tool for large (51-90 lbs) dogs with long hair
Every Aussie shepherd owner needs to equip themselves with a decent de-shedding tool.
Not only will this help keep your dog’s coat free of shed hair, but when used regularly it will cut down on the furballs collecting in the corners of the lounge room.
Long-haired dogs shed, and when they do you know about it.
The trick is to groom the dog regularly so that the shed hair collects on the tool rather than the sofa.
As far as the best deshedding brush for Australian shepherd goes, when the Furminator first appeared on the market, it marked a revolution in the way we deal with heavily shedding dogs, and although there are many imitations this remains the original and best.
Indeed Furminator has such confidence in their product that they guarantee it to be more effective than any other de-shedding product.
At first inspection, the Furminator appears quite a hard, jagged grooming tool, and indeed the sturdy de-shedding blade could damage the skin if used incorrectly.
The trick is to draw the de-shedding blade gently over the surface of the dog’s coat and let the tool do the work rather than your arm.
What you should find is the de-shedding edge gently draws out shed hair, because as Furminator state it will reduce shedding by up to 90%.
This best dog deshedding brush for Australian shepherds also has some neat features, such as the button that makes cleaning the blade super simple, for tangle-free detangling of the detangler.
Oster Combo Brush for Dogs
- Two-sided dog brush with bristles and round-tip pins
- Breaks up mats and tangles and removes dead undercoat
- Ergonomic handle with grooved grip for extra comfort and control
- Suitable for use on larger breeds with all coat lengths
- Leaves your dog’s coat looking shiny and lustrous
It’s nice when a product is multi-functional which is part of why this Oster Combo Brush is the best dog pin brush for Australian shepherd.
So let’s look at the good stuff. First, the tips of the pins are rounded, so they won’t scratch the dog’s skin.
The pins are also mounted in a soft rubber cushion that has some ‘give’ in it.
This means as the brush passes over the skin it conforms for the Aussie’s contours and makes for a more comfortable brush.
It is also double-sided.
Use the pin side to work through those tangles and put the coat in good order.
Then you can flop the brush over to the bristle side in order to smooth the coat and remove shed hair.
The slight downside is that the pins are only anchored into that rubber cushion, and over time may become loose or dislodged.
Another small cloud on the horizon is that it can be tricky to dislodge shed hair from the bristle side, but heck, this was a bonus anyway.
However, when you put everything in the balance and weigh up some minor glitches against a competitive price, this dog brush definitely comes as a great buy.
Sugarpaw Double Sided Wire Pin & Bristle Dog Brush
- THE #1 RATED PET BRUSH: This two-sided brush removes loose fur & debris and penetrates your dog’s undercoat to untangle deep knots while stimulating skin for healthy hair growth. Unlike other dog brushes, it will never tear hair or hurt your furry friend!
- TRUE VERSATILITY: Universally designed for pets of all sizes, fur types, & hair lengths, this deshedding dog brush provides gentle care & fabulous results! Works great on short haired or long haired puppies, cats & dogs, as well as pets endowed with thick, thin, curly, or wiry fur.
- TWO-SIDED CONVENIENCE: The wire pin side features scratch-free rounded bristles that get rid of tangles while giving pets a relaxing massage. The super-soft bristles on the other side loosen dead hair & cat dander while smoothing out fur for the ultimate sheen.
- DURABLE BUILD MADE TO LAST: This pin and bristle brush features a high-density ABS body & stainless steel hardware for superior strength & durability. Anti-static bristles and an ERGONOMIC NON-SLIP HANDLE make for comfortable brushing sessions both pet and owner will enjoy.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We’re sure you’ll be pleased with this quality pet brush that’s made to last! Please feel free to contact us in case of any order-related issues for a quick, hassle-free refund.
The Sugarpaw professional dog brush is best suited for Australian Shepherds because of the bristle and wire pin double-sided feature. It’s an excellent tool for de-matting and de-shedding.
- Weight – 4 ounces
- Two-Sided – Yes
- Warranty – Yes
- Why we recommend – It removes loose hair, detangles knots, removes debris and stimulates the skin to promote healthy hair growth.
Your dog will look his or her best when you use this two-sided easy to use brush for dogs with long hair like Australian Shepherds. This gentle brush produces excellent results for dogs with long hair.
The two-sided design makes it convenient for pet parents to choose either side for the task at hand. The wire side of the brush features rounded bristles that have a rounded edge to prevent scratching your dog’s skin.
The soft bristle side of the brush loosens dead hair and removes it from your dog. The super-soft bristles smoothly glide against your dog’s skin stimulating it as it loosens dead hair which helps make your dog’s coat look shiny and healthy.
This dual-sided dog brush is durable and designed to last long term. It will become your reliable go-to tool for grooming sessions. The brush features stainless steel hardware and high-density ABS body for durability and superior strength.
The ergonomic handle is non-slip and comfortable to keep hold of while grooming your dog. This feature is beneficial for all dog owners but especially helpful for those who experience difficulty keeping hold of the brush while detangling knots.
- Two-sided brush
- Ergonomic handle
- Removes loose fur
- Penetrates beneath the undercoat
- Stimulates skin for healthy hair growth
- Comfortable grip
- Non-slip handle
- Stainless steel hardware
- Only available in one color
- Available in one size only
This brush will help dog owners achieve professional-quality grooming at home that will make their dog look and feel great!
SAFARI Plastic Pin and Bristle Combo Dog Brush
- Two-in-One: Double-sided design brush is a must-have in your pet grooming kit
- Effective: Easily removes loose hair and debris with wire pins
- Quality Bristle Brush: Bristles distribute natural oils evenly throughout coat for shiny hair
- Versatile Application: This soft bristle hair brush is great for all breeds and coat types
- Practical: Safari dog pin brush is ideal for every day use and households with multiple pets
Safari bristle and pin brush features a comfortable full handle that is easy to grasp. You will keep control of the grooming session by easily maneuvering this dual-sided brush.
- Weight – 4.3 ounces
- Two-sided – Yes
- Warranty – Yes
- Why we recommend – The comfortable large handle makes it easy to use during long grooming sessions.
This dual-sided dog brush is best suited for Australian Shepherds due to its many benefits including the removal of loose hair and sticky debris. As a pet parent, you will decide which side is best to use in each situation. The soft bristles help to remove loose hair easily while the pin side is an excellent tool for detangling knots.
During the grooming session, it’s best to brush your dog in the direction of the hair growth using long strokes. This technique will provide maximum benefits compared to brushing the hair against the hair growth direction.
The soft bristles and motion of the brushing naturally distribute oils found in your dog’s skin that helps promote a healthy shiny coat. The brush is easy to use for short or long grooming sessions. The large handle is lightweight and comfortable to use.
- Comfortable to use
- Large handle
- Suited for Australian Shepherds
- Lifts out loose hair
- Detangles knots
- Removes debris
- Dual-sided for convenient use
- Only available in two sizes
- Only available in one color
- No balls on the pin ends
Grooming your dog will become more comfortable when using this dual-sided brush. The large handle makes it convenient to use and keep hold of while brushing your dog. It’s easy to flip back and forth from the bristle side to the pin side to assure your dog’s coat is clean and shiny.
Pro Quality Self Cleaning Slicker Brush
- Brush head size: 3 3/4 inches (95 mm) wide – For SMALL to MEDIUM pet breeds – PERFECT for both your long haired or short haired cats/dogs/puppies – The pet slicker brush EFFECTIVELY remove mats, tangles, dirt, and loose fur from your pet’s coats with MINIMAL effort
- Your DOGS and CATS will LOVE this pet grooming tool. It is made with your pet’s comfort and enjoyment in mind for a FUN and ENJOYABLE pet grooming experience
- TAKES ONLY ABOUT 5 SECONDS TO CLEAN due to the slicker brushes CLEVER SELF CLEANING feature. Simply push the button, wipe, and the brush will be as good as new
- Provides EXCELLENT pet grooming results for DOGS and CATS. Gentle on your pet’s skin and coat it features soft and flexible bristles for EASY AND EFFECTIVE brushing. 2 Sizes available
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED by pet owners, vets, and professional groomers
Slicker Pro is a professional quality dog brush that is self-cleaning. It removes tangles, mats and loose hair without much effort. The dog brush is designed to produce excellent results while being comfortable and easy to use.
- Weight – 8 ounces
- Two-sided – No
- Warranty – Yes
- Why we recommend – It effectively removes loose fur, tangles, mats, and dirt with minimal effort.
This easy to use dog brush is ideally suited for Australian Shepherds that like to get dirty and play outdoors. It’s easy to use and effectively removes loose fur, dirt, grime, tangles, and mats from your dog’s coat with minimal effort on your part.
The impressive self-cleaning feature works by merely pushing a button and wiping the hair off. You can quickly clean this brush in about five seconds or less. This feature comes in handy when your dog is impatient during the grooming session, and the brush needs to be cleaned throughout the process.
The flexible soft bristles glide smoothly through the hair and on your dog’s skin. The bristles reach deep under the coat to help remove loose hair hidden beneath the surface.
This dog brush is durable, easy to use and produces professional results. The handle features two rubber side grips that help you keep control over the motion and direction without dropping the brush. The full handle is comfortable to grasp and easy to control.
- Excellent for medium to long hair
- Removes loose fur
- Removes tangles
- Removes dirt
- Removes mats
- Removes grime
- Minimal effort required
- Produces professional quality results
- Recommended by professional groomers
- Only available in one size
- Some dogs might not like the feeling of the bristles on their skin
This professional quality dog brush will keep your dog’s coat shiny, clean, detangled and looking great!
To keep that coat looking it’s fabulous best it’s a good idea to get into the habit of daily brushing. One of the wonderful things about the Australian shepherd dog is their trademark coat.
This is key to removing tangles before they become knots and spread those natural oils over the fur for maximum conditioning.
But this will also save you some vacuuming as capturing those shed hairs on the brush means that the left hairs wafting around in the corners of a room or stuck to your soft furnishings will be no longer.
Grooming a long-coated breed like the Australian shepherd does take a degree of dedication, but it’s also a wonderful way to bond with your dog and build their trust.
However, it is important to have the right tools for the job.
The basics you’ll need include something to remove shed hair, a detangler and a smoother.
How you achieve this is a matter of personal choice with some preferring a comb and bristle brush, whilst others like a de-shedding brush and a slicker to smooth down afterward.
Whatever your preferred tool there are plenty of choices available so don’t forget to lean on the experience of people who have already used the brushes in order to work out which is best suited to your Aussie shepherd and which represent the best value for money.