German Shepherds have unique double hair coats, a guard (top) coat and an undercoat, which can present a grooming challenge for owners.
In addition to the double coated quality of German Shepherds, different types within the German Shepherd breed and mix breeds alike (such as the, GermanShepherd-Husky, GermanShepherd-Wolf, GermanShepherd-Belgian Malinois, etc.) have different textures to their coat, which may require a different type or additional types of brushes.
The undercoat is the source of most of the hair that German Shepherds shed, which is why having a good undercoat or de-shedding brush is important for at-home grooming. Finding the best dog brush for your German Shepherd can be difficult.
There are hundreds of undercoat rakes and de-shedding brushes on the market and to review all of them is beyond the scope of this article. Most of these brushes are under $20 and have a money-back guarantee, making them somewhat risk-free.
5 Best Brushes for German Shepherds
The GripSoft Double Row Undercoat Rake is designed as it says, to work on the undercoat. It helps untangle knots and mats and is designed to not disturb the outer layer of the haircoat.
This design of dog brush makes it one of the best dog brushes for German shepherds that are shedding their undercoat. The rake has two rows of teeth making it better able to catch more hair with each pass.
The teeth are made of stainless steel with rounded tips. It has a padded, ergonomically designed handle making it more comfortable to use. The company claims the rake is suitable for all breed and coat types. Also, this is also one of the most economical brushes in this review
- Suitable for medium to long-haired, double-coated breeds that are shedding
- Non-slip, ergonomic handle
- Two rows of teeth to lift hair from the undercoat without affecting top coat
- Does not brush topcoat
- Does not work well if the pet is not shedding
- Some complaints about the teeth being sharp and uncomfortable to the dog.
For German shepherd owners, this rake will dig down to the thick undercoat and lift out shedding hair, making it the best dog brush for shedding German shepherds at the change of season.
The double row rake with its two different lengths of teeth is designed to get all of the excess undercoats that are shed with the season changes.
The GripSoft Double Row Undercoat Rake according to most reviews, is durable and comfortable to use.
The Hertzko has been designed to reduce shedding by up to 95% in adult dogs. How does it do this? By removing any dead, loose undercoat while trimming the healthy undercoat.
The important part is that the brush doesn’t damage the topcoat of your German Shepherd- something this brush claims.
The handle is non-slip which makes it much easier to use, especially if your dog doesn’t enjoy being groomed. Included is a cover that protects the cutting blade when you aren’t using it.
Available in 3 different colors this brush also comes with a money-back guarantee. The only thing this brush seems to be lacking is a fur release mechanism, although the blade can be removed which makes cleaning it much easier.
- Easy to use non-slip rubber handle.
- Combs are removable and can be replaced when the blade is no longer sharp.
- 4-inch wide blade covers a larger span of coat.
- No hair release mechanism.
- Short bristles allow hair to fly everywhere.
- May not be too durable.
Overall, the Hertzko comes with great reviews and is a very affordable brush. The other good thing is that this purchase is somewhat risk-free as it comes with a money-back guarantee.
- Reduces shedding up to 90%; great for shaping, thinning, removing mats and tangles
- Made with ABS/TPR; stainless steel blade and rake; ergonomic handle and flexible neck; eco-friendly
- Use on small, medium and large dogs and cats with short, medium or long hair
- Promotes a healthy, clean undercoat and shiny topcoat; gentle on sensitive skin
- 1 inch shedding blade; 2 inch undercoat rake; 6 1/4 inch long; 3 inch wide; money back guarantee
The double-sided grooming tool by Vets Pride conveniently provides a detangler and de-shedding comb in one tool. The tool is advertised to reduce shedding by up to 90%.
Like many other tools, it has an ergonomic handle, but this one is padded with silicone gel to help it conform comfortably to your grip. The company describes this tool as eco-friendly. It features a 2-inch undercoat rake and a 1-inch shedding blade – both made of stainless steel.
The biggest complaint of customers was about the narrow width of the blade however, the company also offers a 100% money-back guarantee.
- Flexible neck moves with dog’s contours
- Combination tool eliminates the need for two separate grooming tools
- Gel padded handle conforms to grip
- Narrower width rake head
- Few complaints of construction quality
- No hair release button
This tool combines multiple combs in one, making it a more versatile tool for grooming your German Shepherd. The flexible neck allows it to conform better to angles and curves in your dog’s anatomy making it a more comfortable grooming experience.
Although slightly more expensive this tool essentially is a 2 in 1 which eliminates the need for a second brush.
Most user reviews were favorable for both user comfort and effectiveness at removing hair. The grooming tool comes with a money-back guarantee through the Vets Pride USA if you are not satisfied for any reason
$29.99 in stock
- THE ORIGINAL PROFESSIONAL QUALITY DEMATTING TOOL. Comfortably and quickly get a professionally groomed look in minutes.
- CLEAR ALL DIFFERENT MATS AND TANGLES. The double sided pet comb has a different number of teeth on each side. The lower density side is a dematting rake for stubborn matts and tangles. The higher density side is a detangler, deshedding tool, or undercoat rake for faster results thinning and to control shedding.
- MULTIPLES USES WITH JUST ONE COMB. The pet grooming tool not only works great as a dematting brush or detangling comb, but also as an undercoat comb or deshedding rake. The dematting tool for dogs and cats can comb to cut a matt or tangle then be used as a deshedding brush or deshedding comb
- A MORE COMFORTABLE AND PLEASANT EXPERIENCE. The cat and dog brush has sharp teeth to prevent pulling hairs and the rounded ends help make it safer on sensitive skin as an undercoat brush. The non-slip silicone gel filled handle conforms to your hand no matter how you hold it makes it a unique dog and cat brush.
- STOP HURTING YOUR FURRY FRIENDS. Sharp stainless steel blades cut through mats and tangles instead of pulling the hair out. Plus all of the teeth have dull rounded ends so it will not scratch or irritate your pet’s skin.
The GoPets Dematting Rake is unique in the sense that it is double-sided which solves a lot of problems with the dog’s coat in one nifty brush.
One side has larger teeth and this works as an undercoat rake while the other side uses smaller teeth and less teether. The smaller side can be used to brush out tangles and mats.
Although it may look a bit menacing the teeth actually have rounded ends and this makes for safer and smoother use. No need to worry about injuring your pet while using this brush!
Compared with other models the comb width is quite small at 2.25inches wide although this is still adequate to groom a German Shepherd.
The final great feature? GoPets offer a full replacement or refund making this purchase a risk free one.
- Rounded end teeth do not scratch the pet’s skin.
- Double sides
- Ergonomic, gel-filled handle for user comfort
- Rake head is not replaceable
- Narrower width means more passes for larger dogs
- Blades may not be sharp enough for thick mats
The GoPets Dematting Rake de-matting rake is a versatile tool for a German Shepherd during shedding season to get out heavy clumps of undercoat and light mats.
Pat Your Pet
- 2-in-1 dual head – Start with 9 teeth side for stubborn mats and tangles and finish with 17 teeth side for thinning and deshedding. Achieve faster and more professional dematting and grooming results
- Absolutely safe to your pet – No-scratch rounded outside teeth gently massage the pet skin. Meanwhile, teeth inner side is sharp enough to smoothly cut through the toughest mats, tangles and knots
- Forget about shedding – Regular brushing easily removes dead undercoat so no fur goes flying. Skin massage ensures better blood circulation promoting healthy and shiny coat. Perfect for medium and long haired pets
- Enjoy comfortable brushing – Soft ergonomic anti-slip grip makes regular combing convenient & relaxed. No-rust stainless steel teeth are ultra durable & easy to clean
- Make your grooming routine easy – With this brush you’ll keep your pet attractive and home hair-free
Pat Your Pet deshedding tool is another brush designed specifically for dogs that are actively shedding. With a 2 in 1 dual head, this will effectively remove the loose undercoat.
The handle is ergonomically designed which makes it comfortable and easy to use. The feature that many customers like is the fur ejector button which streamlines the grooming process!
- 9 teeth for tough mats and 17 teeth side for thinning
- Requires multiple passes to remove all of the loose hair.
The preferred choice by many Pat Your Pet is an ideal choice for the active shedding seasons when your German Shepherd is blowing his coat.
As stated previously, there are hundreds of undercoat and de-shedding brushes on the market and many of them are very similar in quality and features. Finding the best dog brush for German Shepherds requires a little bit of research.
Speaking with your veterinarian or groomer may provide insight into the best style or manufacturer of brushes for your German Shepherd’s individual needs.
Reading online reviews on breed-specific sites and retail sites can provide a lot of information on both the performance of the grooming tool and the manufacturer’s behavior for returns and refunds.
Keep in mind, your dog may require different brushes for different seasons and states of shedding. Ultimately, the choice of the brush comes down to what feels comfortable to both you and your dog and performs to your satisfaction.
Best Brush for German Shepherd
German Shepherds require a lot of care and maintenance regarding their coats. Choosing the best brush helps!
- JW Pet Gripsoft
- Vets Pride
- Go Pets
- Pat Your Pet