If you’ve ever walked dogs even one time, you already know they’ll purposely walk in mud puddles, snow hills, piles of leaves, and dirt. Some will even go so far as to sniff out and try to eat other dog feces.
For a human being, the goal is to try to get away from as much dirt as you can. (Even in fun comic strips, you don’t see a whole lot of the other Peanuts characters hanging out and trying to dance with Pig-Pen.) Keep the bacteria away! So finding the best antibacterial dog shampoo sounds like a logical purchase on the surface.
However, before you purchase a shampoo for dogs or antibacterial antifungal dog shampoo, make sure that this is the ideal shampoo for your dog’s needs. For some dogs, especially the more adventurous of the bunch, this will do wonders to make sure your home and your dog smell nice.
For others, you may want to find out if there are bigger health issues to understand. As long as your veterinarian approves of antifungal shampoo for dogs or similar dog cleansing shampoos, these 12 are highly suggested.
Best Antibacterial Dog Shampoo
- DEAD SEA MINERALS – Formulated with premium Dead Sea minerals, Arava Therapeutic shampoo is perfect for treating skin problems and irritations including hot spots, infections and inflammation. Contains 28 natural ingredients.
- DEEP, POWERFUL CLEANSE– The Arava Bio-Care formula is a pet-friendly formula that gently cleanse deep within your dog’s undercoat to enrich the follicles, making the fur more beautiful, shiny and without dandruff. Perfect for dogs with dry skin!
- REDUCES SKIN INFECTIONS – Designed to specifically treat dermatological conditions, this pet medicated shampoo helps HEAL hot spots, scrapes and abrasions, mange, ringworm, dandruff, seborrhea and keeps skin folds cleaner and healthier.
- NATURAL, ACTIVE INGREDIENTS – Arava Pet shampoo contains 28 active ingredients including potent anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti yeast botanical oils that help heal most of the skin bacteria and fungal that indoor and outdoor pets can pick up.
- LIGHT, FRESH SCENT – A silky, moisturizing formula that’s safe for dogs and puppies alike, it offers a much smoother comforting feel than other pet shampoos with the top performance of a powerful medicated shampoo. Your pet will have the quality of dead sea therapeutic shampoos, and you will enjoy washing it. Nice odor of essential oils makes it the best shampoo for stinky dogs. Order now and get a 30 DAYS MONEY BACK GUARANTEE.
If your dog has hot spots, inflammation or infection, this all-natural antifungal, anti-yeast, anti-itch dog shampoo has a pet-friendly formula to gently clean your dog.
- Formulated with premium dead sea minerals
- 28 naturally and environmentally safe ingredients such as pomegranate, kelp, reishi, rosemary, aloe vera, chamomile, fennel
- Anti-fungal and anti-yeast botanical oils
This Biocare formula is good for keeping your dog’s undercoat to enrich the follicles. Created under the strict guidelines of the Food & Drug Administration, this shampoo eliminates dandruff and reduces dry skin. It also creates a shiny coat for your pet. This medicated shampoo also reduces skin infections, abrasions, ringworm, seborrhea, etc.
- Natural fragrance from the essential oils
- Perfect for treating skin problems and irritations
- One reviewer’s dog was allergic to one (or more) of the essential oils
- Several reviewers reported that their dogs broke out into rashes
This dog shampoo is covered by a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- ★ ELIMINATES AND PREVENTS GROWTH OF DISEASE CAUSING MICROORGANISMS & BACTERIA: Our Chlorhexidine Gluconate 4% Shampoo Is A Super Effective Antiseptic Shampoo That Treats A Broad Spectrum of Skin Related Problems in Both Dogs, Cats & Horses
- ★ DEODORIZES & GENTLY CLEANSES SKIN: Our Veterinary Recommended Shampoo Will Eliminate The Smelly Musty Odor From Your Pets Skin Caused by Unwelcome Visitors (ie. Bacteria) While Leaving Behind a Pleasant and Refreshing Blueberry Scent
- ★ VETERINARY STRENGTH FOR LESS MONEY: Compare Our Active ingredients to Other Name Brands. Curaseb is The Same If Not Better Quality Than Other Leading Competitors. Why Pay More For A Name?
- ★ MADE IN THE USA: All Bexley Labs Products Are Proudly Made in the USA in a Federally Regulated & Inspected Laboratory to Ensure Quality and Safety. Our Pets Deserve the Best!
- ★ PAWS PROMISE: We Are So Confident in Your Satisfaction with Our Product That If You Don't Absolutely Love the Results You Get, Return it for a Full Refund. Even if the Bottle is Empty. There is No Risk; You have Nothing to Lose.
This antibacterial and antimicrobial medicated shampoo treats various skin-related problems, and eliminates and prevents the growth of diseases that cause microorganisms and bacteria.
- Blueberry scent
- Contains chlorhexidine gluconate
- Free of parabens and soap
This 12 oz. container of shampoo deodorizes and gently cleans the skin while eliminating the musty and off-putting odor that may develop on your pet’s skin.
- Gently cleans dog skin
- Deodorizes dog skin
- Not evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration
- One reviewer’s dog scratched even more than before the shampoo was administered
If this shampoo doesn’t work well for your dog, return it for a full refund whether the bottle is still full or completely empty.
$8.99 in stock
- GENTLE HEALING – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs contains coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur to treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea, relieve mange and other parasitic infections, and treat fungal and bacterial infections. Colloidal Oatmeal and Allantoin hydrate skin and promote healing.
- FAST ACTING – Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo works fast to help relieve the inflamed scalp, greasy or waxy skin, red skin rashes, bald spots, itch and flaky skin associated with dermatitis, mange, seborrhea, parasitic, and bacterial infections. To use, shampoo 2-3 times per week initially and then less frequently as skin improves.
- VETERINARY RECOMMENDED – Veterinary Formula Antiparasitic and Antiseborrheic Medicated Shampoo for Dogs is paraben, dye, and soap free. It will not remove topical spot-on flea and tick treatments and has been proven to safely treat fungal and bacterial skin infections, skin scaling caused by seborrhea, and parasitic infections like mange.
- FORMULATED FOR DOGS – Medicated antiparasitic and antiseborrheic shampoo is specifically formulated for dogs over 12 weeks of age. The pH balanced treatment is ideal for your dog’s sensitive skin. The effective relief of symptoms will make you and your dogs happy. Great for pets with sensitive, allergic and yeasty skin!
- EFFECTIVE AND AFFORDABLE – Veterinary Formula Clinical Care premium medicated products are created with veterinary-grade ingredients but available at a price that pet parents can afford. We know your dogs are more than just pets, because we are pet parents too.
If you’re looking for an antiparasitic and antiseborrheic medicated shampoo that will relieve your dog of the skin disease mange and other parasitic infections, this may be a good option.
- pH balanced for pet’s sensitive skin
- Contains coal tar, salicylic acid, and micronized sulfur to treat skin scaling caused by seborrhea
- Colloidal oatmeal and allantoin hydrates the skin and promotes healing
This 16 oz. bottle includes ingredients that treat fungal and bacterial infections. While the ingredients say to use the shampoo two to three times per week, ask a veterinarian to make sure this amount of time is suitable for your dog’s needs. Intended for dogs more than 12 weeks old, this shampoo will not remove spot-on flea and tick treatments.
- Free of parabens, soap, and dye
- Relieves inflammation, greasy skin, rashes
- One user reported that her dog ended up with a urine smell
- One of three dogs from another user ended up with what looked like a chemical burn (although the other two ended up just fine)
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing this medicated shampoo.
- RELIEVES BACTERIAL AND FUNGAL INFECTIONS — Shampoo for dogs with sensitive skin helps relieve bacterial and fungal infections on the skin while gently cleansing and moisturizing, softening your pet's coat
- ALL-NATURAL INGREDIENTS — Made with the highest quality all-natural ingredients
- USE WHILE GROOMING — Use this shampoo as part of the grooming process. For best results, leave shampoo on pet for five minutes before rinsing well
- IDEAL FOR ALL DOGS WITH SENSITIVE SKIN — Medicated shampoo is free of all fragrances and dyes for sensitive skin
- 100% SAFE — Veterinarian recommended dog shampoo contains no artificial colors, no harsh chemicals, is paraben-free, and pH balanced for dogs. The cruelty-free formula is safe for use with your pet's topical flea and tick treatments
If your dog happens to have sensitive skin, this medicated shampoo can be used to clean and moisturize your dog while getting rid of fungal infections.
- Made with clinical active ingredients
- Free of parabens, harsh chemicals, and artificial colors
- Safe to use with a dog’s topical flea and tick treatments
Help your pet prevent infections with the help of this grooming process. The instructions request that the shampoo be left on for five minutes before rinsing it off. However, check with your veterinarian to make sure that dogs with any kind of rash or bruise can withstand the five-minute wait.
- Relieves bacterial and fungal infections
- Ideal for dog infections, according to the site
- Not recommended for dogs under 12 weeks old
- Should never be used if the skin is broken
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing this medicated shampoo.
- EFFECTIVELY TREAT SKIN ISSUES - PetHonesty’s Chlorhexidine Shampoo is made with Chlorhexidine (2%) and Ketoconazole (1%) for the safest and most effective way to treat your dog, horse or cat’s skin issues right in your own home.
- VETERINARY STRENGTH FORMULA HEALS + REMOVES ODOR - This shampoo formulation is gentle but still strong enough to help relieve itchy skin, rashes and hot spots while it heals skin infections and wounds. The shampoo is has a light cucumber melon scent to eliminate odors associated with the bacteria and fungus that cause painful and smelly skin issues.
- 16 oz BOTTLE WITH PUMP FOR EASY USE - This 16 oz shampoo bottle comes with a cap and pump insert to make dispensing and use easy. Use 4-6 pumps of this anti-yeast, bacteria and fungus treatment shampoo per washing to heal skin issues and eliminate odor. Use PetHonesty’s Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Spray for spot treatments in between washings.
- MADE WITH ALOE FOR GENTLENESS - The addition of soothing aloe to PetHonesty’s Chlorhexidine Antiseptic Shampoo helps calm itchiness, redness and irritation brought on by skin infections, rashes, wounds, hot spots and bug bites.
- THE PETHONESTY WAY - Dogs and owners alike love our products but if you’re not satisfied with any product let us know. We also donate 10% of our profits to two non-profits that protect the life of animals and train dogs to help people combat PTSD and learning disabilities.
Protect your dog against hot spots, infections, itchiness, and rashes that he may get in and out of the home.
- 2 percent chlorhexidine
- 1 percent ketoconazole
- Light cucumber melon scent
If you’re concerned about your dog experiencing smelly skin issues, this 16 oz. bottle of GMP-certifed shampoo can last quite some time to eliminate yeast, bacteria, and fungus.
You can also treat your dog with occasional sprays of this all-natural product in between full-length dog baths. The aloe vera in it is not only a good moisturizer but also soothing.
- FDA approved
- Eliminates odors linked to bacteria and fungus
- Three users received the shampoo with no pump, regardless of it being advertised with the pump top
- One reviewer’s dog became itchier after using it
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing the PetHonesty.
Pro Pet Works
$16.89 in stock
- [MADE IN USA] VET RECOMMENDED: Our Shampoo + Conditioner formula is recommended by Vets. Specially formulated for pets with allergies to food, grass and flea bites. PH balanced for sensitive skin. Cherry NO ALCOHOL, NO SULPHATES, NO ADDED COLORS, NO HARSH CHEMICALS, NO FRAGRANCE. MADE FROM ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS.
- NATURAL, ORGANIC INGREDIENTS THAT ARE MADE FOR DRY, SENSITIVE, ITCHY SKIN: The organic aloe vera and almond oil is therapeutic and soothing for your pets skin and coat. Keeps your pet smelling fresh.
- ALOE ENRICHED, SOAP-LESS AND DETERGENT FREE SHAMPOO + CONDITIONER THAT MAKES BATH TIME A PLEASURE: Our special formulation has mixtures of organic aloe extracts, almond oil and vitamins A, D & E that wont irritate your dog's eyes, nose or skin while bathing. Makes for a soft, easy to brush, coat that will make your pet feel clean and smell clean several days after bathing Tough on dirt, not your pet. Helps to deodorize stinky pets.
- OUR COMMITMENT TO EARTH & MOTHER NATURE: We strive to create a small print on our environment which is why our products are 100% biodegradable and made with recycled materials. Our dog shampoo is non-toxic and non-alcoholic with no animal by products. Paraben and Cruelty free.
- OUR PLEDGE TO YOUR PET: We are a company of animal lovers and only want the best for your little pals We made this formula with care in mind for your pets and our own pets. After blending moisturizers, aloe vera and essential oils, we came up with a perfect blend that you would be proud to use on your best friend. Don't just take our word for it, try it and see the results for yourself.
The Pro Pet Works is great for dry, sensitive, or itchy skin. Just as aloe vera and almond oils are go-to’s for relieving human skin, the same rules apply for soothing sensitive pet skin. And your dog will smell pleasant too.
- pH balanced for sensitive skin
- Cherry almond smell
- 17 oz. bottle
This soap-less, detergent-free and aloe-enriched conditioner is a combination of almond oil; organic aloe extracts; and Vitamins A, D, and E. This product also comes in 100 percent biodegradable and recycled materials. It also comes in handy for detangling fur.
- Soothes dry, itchy skin
- Free of harsh chemicals, fragrance, sulfates, added colors
- One user’s Australian Shepherd immediately started shedding enough that she had to vacuum twice
- Another user had to put a cone on her dog’s head to stop harmful scratching
This shampoo is covered by a 100 percent money-back guarantee.
Smiling Paws Pets
- RELIVE PETS FROM COMMON SKIN ISSUES: YOU ARE GOING TO LOVE THIS SHAMPOO. Unique antifungal shampoo to treat and eliminate skin infections such as Yeast, Fungus, Bacteria, Mange, Ringworm, Hotspots & Pyoderma
- VETERINARY GRADE FORMULA: This dog and cat shampoo contains Chlorhexidine 2% and Ketoconazole 1%. This effective blend of properties will provide quick and effective treatment of common skin infections.
- NO MORE COSTLY MEDS: If you previously have given your pet costly prescription meds with little to no relief, you should reconsider and try this. If it doesn’t work send us the remaining bottle and grab your refund!
- MADE IN USA: We produce this medicated shampoo in our locally and federally regulated facility. That is how we can guarantee the highest quality and outcome for your dog or cat.
- COMMON TREATMENTS: Some of the common uses are skin yeast infection treatment, itching skin relief, mange treatment, ringworm treatment, hot spots treatment, fungus & yeast infections and MORE.
The Smiling Paws Pets is intended to treat bacterial, fungal and yeast skin infections in dogs.
- pH balanced
- Formulated with tea tree oil and neem oil
- 100 percent natural active ingredients
It provides gentle cleaning, odor elimination, and effective antibacterial healing for dogs. Ideally, it will leave your dog’s coat clean, soft, and shiny. With a coconut-oil base, it still won’t remove essential oils, or topical spot-on flea and tick treatments.
- Free of parabens, soaps, dye
- Fast-acting to relieve inflamed, dry, flaky skin
- Not ideal for dogs under 12 weeks old
- Gave several dogs hives and allergic reactions
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing this shampoo.
$20.97 in stock
- INSTANT SOOTHING RELIEF Our Antiseptic water based shampoo treats dermatological conditions that cause burning and itching, such as Dermatitis in Dogs, Cats and Horses. Our premium ingredients are antibacterial, antiseptic and anti-fungus unlike lesser quality shampoos. They are especially effective for pets that bite or chew at their paws due to itching.
- ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTI-FUNGAL Our alcohol free antiseptic medicated shampoo contains Chlorhexidine, Ketoconazole that controls irritation, being effective when fighting bacteria and fungi preventing further growth.
- PROFESSIONAL GRADE QUALITY: Our effective anti-itch spray is a water based formula that supports healthy coat growth. It’s professional quality is safe for dogs, cats and horses of all ages with normal or sensitive skin make these an “easy-to-use” method for treating animals’ skin infections and irritation with delicious cucumber melon scent.
- FOR HOT SPOTS ITCHY SKIN AND PAWS This shampoo makes treating hot spots and itchy paws or skin a pleasant experience for you and your pet! Our antiseptic shamopoo will treat these dermatological conditions immediately, managing malassezia and pyoderma.
- VET CHOICE MADE IN THE USA Proudly made in the USA, our antiseptic shampoo manufactured in Federally Regulated Manufacturing facilities, NASC inspected laboratory so you can trust the quality of our pet skin care products to Ensure Quality and Safety.
This antifungal, antibacterial shampoo is intended to eliminate hot spots, itchy paws, skin rashes, and dermatitis. It is especially meant for pets who tend to chew or bite on their paws.
- 16 oz. bottle
- Includes chlorhexidine
- Includes ketoconazole
This alcohol-free, antiseptic, medical dog shampoo disinfects both gram-negative and gram-positive bacteria, and use it to kill bacteria and yeast. This shampoo also treats dermatological conditions immediately and manages Malassezia and pyoderma.
- Made in a GMP certified facility
- Instant soothing relief
- Do not use if the dog has open wounds, cuts or raw areas
- May need to put a cone on dog’s head to avoid him licking the shampoo before it can dry
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing the ZPAW.
Alpha Dog Series
- 2-IN-1 PUPPY FORMULA: Deep Cleansing Shampoo and Softening Conditioner combined into one. It is a gentle and soothing Shampoo & Conditioner 2-in-1 Formula, specially formulated for a puppy's delicate skin and coat.
- DEEPLY CLEANS BUT GENTLE: This Shampoo and Conditioner for Dogs is deep cleansing but gentle on the skin. Our gentle formula is pH balanced and includes Aloe Vera so it will never dry out your puppy's skin or coat and will instead have a soothing and moisturizing effect.
- TEAR-FREE AND LONG-LASTING FRAGRANCE: Our dog shampoos are tearless so no need to worry about soap getting into your fur baby's eyes. Our shampoo and conditioner formula will thoroughly remove all bad and unwanted doggy odors and leave a soft and long-lasting, clean fragrance that adheres to the coat for up to 2 weeks.
- FOR ALL TYPES OF SKIN CONDITION: Our formula is great for dogs that have sensitive skin, dry skin, dandruff, hot spots, rashes, itchiness, and any other skin ailments that make it the best dog shampoo.
- ALL NATURAL AND SAFE FOR DOGS: This Pet Shampoo and Conditioner is fortified with natural fruit extracts, plant extracts, and oils that are safe for your dog.
The Alpha Dog Series comes with aloe vera to both soothe and detangle.
- pH balance
- Deep cleaner
- Aloe vera included
This two-in-one puppy formula is tear-free and antibacterial, and it’s specially formulated for a puppy’s delicate skin and coat. Considering that this shampoo is tearless, it’ll be less worrisome about getting it into your dog’s eyes by accident.
Ideally, the clean fragrance lasts long enough that you won’t have to worry about your dog’s unwanted odors for at least two weeks. The all-natural ingredients include natural fruit extracts, plant extracts, and oils. But as with any dog, the two-week doggy bath vacation is on a case-by-case basis.
- Odor eliminator
- Stays on the coat for up to two weeks
- Two reviewers weren’t thrilled with the fragrance
- Not particularly intended for adult dogs
- Truseb ANTISEPTIC AND ANTIFUNGAL - Medicated shampoo for Dogs, Cats and Horses with Chlorhexidine Gluconate 2% and Ketoconazole 1% to treat broad spectrum of skin related problems and bacterial dermatitis.
- TOP RATED PRODUCT Ear Flush - Truseb is specifically formulated to relieve and heal skin infections, superficial cuts, abrasions and insect bites. If you include Truseb in your weekly grooming routine, and after water activities, you will help keep your Dog’s and Cat’s skin safe and healthy.
- VETERINARY STRENGTH FOR LESS MONEY – relieve skin infections like hot spot, ringworm and Acne. Our Veterinary recommended shampoo eliminates smelly order caused by bacteria, fungal and yeast leaving behind refreshing cucumber melon scent
- QUICKLY KILLS BACTERIAL, FUNGAL AND YEAST - Restores your dog's and cat’s skin to their natural healthy state. Eliminates by killing the type of bacteria, fungal and yeast that are most commonly associated with skin infection in Dogs and Cats
- MADE IN THE U.S.A. in Federally Regulated Manufacturing facilities, NASC inspected laboratory so you can trust the quality of our pet skin care products to Ensure Quality and Safety.
This antifungal, antibacterial, and antiseptic medicated shampoo can help to eliminate fungal infections, acne, hot spots, pyoderma, ringworm and yeast.
- Available in three sizes (8 ounces, 12 ounces, 16 ounces)
- 2 percent of Chlorhexidine Gluconate
- 1 percent of Ketoconazole
It can be used to treat skin-related problems and bacterial dermatitis. In addition to abrasions, insect bites and cuts, it can also be used to help a dog maintain a healthy coat while he participates in water sports. Use this product for both skin treatment and a deodorizer; it has a cucumber melon scent that may make you even happier to see (and smell) your dog.
- Relieves skin infections
- Eliminates odors caused by bacteria, fungal and yeast
- Should not be used on broken skin or in bloody (sore) areas
- One reviewer said that the shampoo is sticky, so it may be a bit challenging to leave on your dog for a short time
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing the Truseb.
$24.99 in stock
- STOP THE ITCH: Anti Itch Shampoo For Dogs, Cats, Horses. Effectively Treat Chronic Itchy Skin
- BACTERIAL INFECTIONS: Aid In the Treatment of Pyoderma , Skin Infections & Their Smelly Odors
- FUNGAL INFECTIONS: Helps Relieve Symptoms Associated with Fungal Yeast Infection & Ringworm
- SEASONAL ALLERGIES: Treat Hot Spots and Dandruff Associated with Atopic Dermatitis in Pets
- DEEP CLEANSING & NON-DRYING: Hypoallergenic Formula Gentle On Sensitive Skin Puppy to Adult
In addition to using the VetriMAX for hot spots, inflammation, rashes, and dandruff, this combination may also come in handy for dog seasonal allergies.
- Free of fragrances
- Anti-itch shampoo for dry, itchy skin
This clinically tested formula can aid in the treatment of pyoderma or skin infections, and their resulting odors. It will also help relieve symptoms associated with fungal yeast infections and ringworm. During allergy season, this Command product can be used to treat itchy hot spots and dandruff associated with atopic dermatitis.
- Hypoallergenic formula gentle on sensitive skin
- Reduces clinical lesion severity
- Not recommended for dogs that are less than six weeks old
- For dog owners who like fragrances, this one may be too plain
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing the VetriMAX.
- ANTI-ITCH & ANTI-FUNGAL DOG SHAMPOO — Bacterial infections be gone! No more scratching and itching due to allergies, grooming, or skin irritation conditions when you use GNC Pets & Anti-Fungal Medicated Dog Shampoo
- SOOTHING LAVENDER SCENT — Leave your pup smelling fresh and clean with a fresh, lavender scent. Simple, calming, and effective, this dog shampoo soothes both your skin and your senses
- FIGHTS BAD BACTERIA — Premium ingredients like chlorhexidine gluconate and ketoconazole work safely yet effectively to fight bacteria and prevent fungal infections
- MADE IN THE USA — GNC Pets is proudly made in the US, providing you and your pet with safe, secure, and high quality products. GNC Pets ensures accurate labeling and manufacturing for consumer safety
- GNC PETS HEALTHY SOLUTIONS — GNC Pets supports happy, healthy pets. Approved by canines and kitties alike, our beauty and grooming products present pets with healthy ways to look and feel their best
Although this GNC product is intended to reduce bacterial skin infections related to allergies and scratching, it also works for grooming. However, if your pet seems to be extremely irritated during the grooming process, you may need to ask your groomer about the products that are being used. Or, switch your own grooming products should you be grooming the dog yourself.
- 17 oz. bottle
- pH balanced
- Lavender scent
As pet owners know, a smell that is attractive to us may or may not win over your pet. Before using an anti-fungal shampoo with a fragrance, ask your veterinarian about this product ahead of time.
Make sure to observe how your dog reacts to the smell of this anti-bacterial shampoo. (If he tries to roll around in mud or dirt as soon as possible, don’t be too alarmed. That’s pretty normal. But if there’s excessive itching, stop use immediately.)
- Helps relieve bacterial skin infections
- Provides relief from itching
- Not recommended for dogs under 12 weeks old
- Do not use more than once a week without permission from a veterinarian
The refund and/or replacement policy is unclear on the site. Ask about this (potential) promise before purchasing the GNC.
When to use antibacterial shampoo vs normal dog shampoo
For human beings, the overuse of antibacterial products can reduce the number of healthy bacteria on a person’s skin. In turn, this can make antibiotics less effective in the fight against superbugs (i.e. new strains of bacteria). But just because an antibacterial shampoo or soap works wonders on your skin does not mean it’ll do the same thing for dogs.
First things first, do not use human shampoo on your dog. Concentrate on finding a shampoo with a pH balance that is specifically balanced for your dog’s skin. Pet MD recommends dog shampoos within the neutral range, around 7 (1). (Even if the shampoo manufacturer’s label does not identify the number, the bottle should state that the shampoo is pH-balanced for dogs.)
But why do you need to use an antibacterial dog shampoo or any medicated shampoo altogether? Why not just use regular dog shampoo? Some of the most common are bacterial skin infections, skin yeast infections, and skin allergies. Your veterinarian will usually send suggestions for a wide variety of dog shampoos, and some over-the-counter options may do the trick.
Key Ingredients to look for
Common terminologies you may see on antibacterial dog shampoo containers are chlorhexidine and ketoconazole, which help relieve current skin infections and prevent new dog infections.
Boric acid, olive oil, rooibos tea extract, vitamin E, and salicylic acid are often used for dogs with extremely dry skin who need moisturizer. Check out our dog paw moisturizer reviews here! Oatmeal and tea tree oil prevent parasites and can act as moisturizers.
Sulfodene medicated dog shampoo and conditioner can be used for dogs who tend to get itchy a lot.
These are just a few of many ingredients, but before using any of these products, ask a veterinarian. Make sure all ingredients match up with your dog’s current health condition. Otherwise, an antifungal dog shampoo or other medicated dog shampoo may do more good than harm.
Should you be someone who may leave your dog with a groomer or a dog walker, emphasize which key ingredients may not be used. If you don’t speak up immediately, you may risk that your groomer or dog walker will unknowingly use a product that is not compatible with your dog.
Just as all dogs cannot eat every treat, even the safest medicated shampoo just may not be effective on some dogs. All dog shampoo ingredients aren’t.
Ingredients to avoid
Some of the key ingredients that are ideal for some dogs may be the worst ideas for others. A moisturizing dog shampoo works wonders for a dog with dry skin, but it may make an oily dog (ex. one with Seborrheic Dermatitis) even more uncomfortable. That waxy, greasy condition that comes with Seborrheic Dermatitis can make a dog smell and you’ll notice dandruff on his fur.
This condition can also be linked to secondary bacterial or yeast skin infections, especially for untreated dogs who have skin folds in their armpits, neck, feet, lips, thighs, and the stomach area. Talk to a veterinarian first before trying to fix this health issue on your own. A veterinarian may prescribe anything from certain dog shampoo to omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
Additionally, make sure your dog and you like the fragrances that are included in the shampoo. Dogs tend to like the smell of things that humans may find to be smelly (ex. mud, dirt, feces), so it’s not uncommon that your dog will not be thrilled with a fragrance.
But more importantly, even natural ingredients such as essential oils may make your dog react. If your dog has sensitive skin or you’re not sure how he’ll react to a combination of essential oils, test them one-by-one instead. We’ve also reviewed the best natural shampoos for sensitive skin here.
Once you’re sure that your dog will not break out or have an allergic reaction to the kind of essential oils that are included in some dog shampoos (including ones above), then you can use more fragrance-friendly products.
How often can you use Antibacterial shampoo
While the instructions on an antibacterial dog shampoo may state how often it should be used, be careful with these instructions. Ask a veterinarian just to make sure. Just as human hair care products have directions for one person’s type of hair, that doesn’t mean it works the same for another.
There’s a reason shampoos are curtailed to curly hair, straight hair, dry hair, color-treated hair, relaxed hair, natural hair, etc. The same can be said for dog breeds. A poodle has “hair” while a Labrador Retriever has “fur.” Just as you would not treat these two totally different breed’s overcoat or undercoat with the same grooming techniques, the same can be said for antibacterial antifungal dog shampoo.
For some medicated dog shampoos, treatment should only be used for the length of the time to heal the rash or sore. For other antifungal shampoos, there may be instructions to leave it on for a little longer. Do not overuse the product. And even if your veterinarian tells you to, double-check with him again if the instructions clash with his own guidance.
Whether you use any of the 12 medicated dog shampoos above or one of your own choosing, an antibacterial dog shampoo may only be part of your dog’s problem. Anytime your dog needs a medical dog shampoo to take care of his coat and/or skin, there may be underlying issues.
For this reason alone, it is imperative to become familiar early and often with how your dog’s “normal” coat is versus when something is out of whack. Keep an eye on when your dog seems to be shedding more than usual, as well as where thin patches of hair tend to show up. Never let your dog’s hair get matted.
Being able to catch any bruises, bumps, patches, dandruff or dry skin before it can become a larger issue is absolutely necessary. If you’re trying to get work done and your dog is pushing his snout under your hand, consider giving him a pat or two if you haven’t done so already.
Even if it’s just a couple of minutes a day, you may find that your dog is trying to get your attention due to a health issue and not just looking to distract you. And the extra affection doesn’t hurt either.
- Pet MD, Can You Use Human Shampoo on Dogs? Maintaining Your Dog’s Skin pH https://www.petmd.com/dog/grooming/evr_dg_shampoo_for_dogs
Top-Rated Antibacterial Dog Shampoos
Choosing the best antibacterial shampoo is easy with our review of the 12 best on the market.
Pro Pet Works
Smiling Paws Pets
Alpha Dog Series